Logistics in getting a used bike safetied | GTAMotorcycle.com

Logistics in getting a used bike safetied

NuggyBuggy

Site Supporter
So I am about to sell a bike, with the buyer at the bank. The bike would definitely need a new tire to pass safety. He asked me how he is going to get the bike safetied if he can’t ride it to a tire place and I told him honestly, I don’t know.

I guess two options are:
1) rent a trailer and take it to a shop to get a tire replaced. If they can safety it you could take papers to MTO
2) remove wheel, get tire replaced, trailer it to a safety place and then go to MTO.

I imagined buyers would have a trailer or know how they were going to do this.

What would most people do in that situation?

Deal fell through…

Both parties weren't ready to complete the transaction. A safety needs to be done, whether it be the buyer or the seller. In the case you are describing, neither party was able/willing to do it. If you aren't willing to do it, then you'll have to find a buyer that's willing to do it. Should have set expectations prior to meeting. A very real situation. Better luck with the next buyer.

Just get the tire changed, and increase the price of the bike to cover it. Get a safety at the same time (I know they only last 36 days, but a bike priced properly will sell in a month in May) to avoid unexpected surprises and there are other issues.

Just get the tire changed, and increase the price of the bike to cover it. Get a safety at the same time (I know they only last 36 days, but a bike priced properly will sell in a month in May) to avoid unexpected surprises and there are other issues.
yeah, I dropped the price in the first place by $500 to cover cost of tire replacement and safety and then some as I don’t have the time to deal with it.

So I am about to sell a bike, with the buyer at the bank. The bike would definitely need a new tire to pass safety. He asked me how he is going to get the bike safetied if he can’t ride it to a tire place and I told him honestly, I don’t know.

I guess two options are:
1) rent a trailer and take it to a shop to get a tire replaced. If they can safety it you could take papers to MTO
2) remove wheel, get tire replaced, trailer it to a safety place and then go to MTO.

I imagined buyers would have a trailer or know how they were going to do this.

What would most people do in that situation?

Deal fell through…
could have transported it to a shop and split the cost of the tow.

1) bank to witness the bank draft if that matters to you
2) back to your place to call a tow
3) bike arrives at shop, transfer payment and paperwork
4) profit??

It's so much harder to sell bikes without the safety.
Indeed, that's why as a seller i ask for $100 deposit upfront if saftey is required. we can take it off the agreed upon price.

that way my time and money isn't wasted and the buyer is more invested in completing the deal.

I guess my general question is, how do people buying a vehicle that needs something for safety do it?

You can’t get a plate without a safety, and you can’t get the safety without the work. So it seems at minimum you’re trailering it twice- once to the repair place, once to the safety place, and that’s assuming you’re leaving the vehicle at the safety place while you’re running to get your plates.

I guess my general question is, how do people buying a vehicle that needs something for safety do it?

You can’t get a plate without a safety, and you can’t get the safety without the work. So it seems at minimum you’re trailering it twice- once to the repair place, once to the safety place, and that’s assuming you’re leaving the vehicle at the safety place while you’re running to get your plates.
can't the repair be done at the same place as the saftey?

You don't need a plate to haul it on a trailer or in the bed of a p/u.

I am under the impression if the ownership of the bike/car is listed as FIT or FIT/PLATED the buyer can get a temp plate
@Wind Shear is correct, you need a saftey to get registration as FIT. You only need insurance to plate it as UNFIT, in which case you get the temp 'sticker' up to 3 times max to get it saftied.

As long as the ownership is "FIT"
incorrect, UNFIT is sufficient as he will get a temp sticker until safety can be done. then he returns to SO and registration is updated to FIT

... click on the link I provided, read the text.
The "temp" plate laws were changed a few years ago
ah okay, we're getting wires crossed here.

Yes, as long as the registration from the previous owner was FIT or TMP then he can acquire plates & sticker.

I was saying his own registration will not be FIT when given back, due to still needing the safety,.

Back
Top Bottom