Locksmith / Security Question | GTAMotorcycle.com

Locksmith / Security Question

wearelopey

Hey everyone,

So I have a 40ft steel sea container that got broken into a couple of weeks ago. Although stuff in there isn't worth much it is worth something so I assume if I don't up security it will happen again.

By the looks of the marks on the pad lock pretty sure they used a hydraulic bolt cutter (think jaws of life) to open the bin. Had 2 hardened steel padlocks on it (bought from canadian tire mind you for $40 a piece).

Options I've contemplated:

- Hiring a welder to make a shield so that bolt cutters cannot access the loop
- I've also seen products such as the snatch latch, protect-a-lock, etc that are similar but haven't found anyone that stocks them in GTA

- Buying a large steel chain (think Almax) in order to add further security

- Some kind of internally locking system ($$$ I'm assuming)

- Someone even said I could get a welder to weld on another door on top of the normal door and install a puck style lock on that new door

- motion detection etc; have heard tomographic motion detection is best but again, $$$

Anyways my next step is to contact various shipping container companies for advice. Have done a good amount of online searching and asked a couple locksmiths etc

You guys have lots of toys and/or have experience shipping/securing so figured I'd give it a go here.

Again, this is a sea container that will not be travelling; used for storage. At this present time I would not like to move the container (various reasons).

What I'm looking for is advice on what methods would deter theives best for the least amount of money. Also if you have any recommendations on actual welders, locksmiths, security experts in the GTA that would be awesome. Looking to narrow down my search instead of contacting businesses at random...

Container is located in Hamilton or surrounding area.

Any and all advice welcome!

Last edited:
My opinion, call a locksmith, have a deadbolt installed inside. Shouldn't cost all that much. An Almax chain would be good, but I don't think its indestructible, as for motion sensor, not sure what way you want to go. You can buy a camera that you can hook up to your phone. You can get messages or alerts when the motion activates, and you can view the camera remotely. Although I believe you have to hook the system, up to a modem. Getting a weld to make a weld will be very costly, unless you know one (I would assume) I know there are bolt proof locks, where there is not enough room to get a pair of bolt cutters to reach the actual lock, but not sure of the quality. Honestly I would go with the first option. At least call a lock smith (these guys are good, i sue them at work www.surelocks.ca/ (416) 486-5077. Either Dave (who I’ve dealt with personally and he really knows his stuff, or the other guy will answer. They both are know their stuff. Call any one, and at least ask what they would do. The guys at surelocks will tell you what need, not what they want, others may try to make some money. Good luck

I suppose you have to look at how long you'll be utilizing this storage solution for.
Getting a lockbox welded from the shipping yards will be ~$300 or so. Not much if you amortize over 5-10 years. Likely a bit more if you were to hire through the shipping companies, but if you post a kijiji/c-list ad, you might get it done cheaper if you do a bit of the prep for welding.

YGPM

Deadbolts wont do anything for you. Even the good ones.

Any chance you can post a picture of how the lock attaches to the box. I can't picture it.

(I do glass but also some security stuff. I know decent productl

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

The sea containers we have at work have a thick metal box welded to the door over where the lock attaches. It's about 5"X5" and protrudes 2" from the door. Bolt cutters/grinder cannot access the lock. Maybe having someone weld this on would be the way to go.

The sea containers we have at work have a thick metal box welded to the door over where the lock attaches. It's about 5"X5" and protrudes 2" from the door. Bolt cutters/grinder cannot access the lock. Maybe having someone weld this on would be the way to go.

This. We weld them on all our containers at work. The only way to get in is with a cutting torch/plasma cutter. It's cheap, if you don't weld, find a mobile welder, a smaller company shouldn't want much, it's like $20 in steel and ten minutes welding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom