Listening to music while riding? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Listening to music while riding?

shadowman

Site Supporter
A bunch of years ago, I used to listen to music while riding, using an i-pod and ear buds.
I found ear buds bothersome after a long ride... wouldn't stay in... would get uncomfortable, so I gave up all together.
Flash forward to now. I decided to try some in helmet speakers, so I bought a set of UCLEAR Pulse speakers.
They arrive, I get all excited, install them in my helmet to try them out, only to realize my phone doesn't have an audio jack.
When the hell did they stop putting audio jacks in phones?!?!
Anyways, I'm guessing I need some type of bluetooth device.
I'm looking for recommendations on how I should proceed.

A bit of information about my needs:

- If you can't already tell, I'm a complete technotard (talk to me like I'm from 1964, I won't be offended)
- I ride alone, so I don't need a fancy communicator to talk to other riders, or even a passenger.
- I'm really only interested in listening to music. (I don't even need to answer my phone while I'm riding)
- I'm looking for good quality sound and simple to use.

Any recommendations will be appreciated.
Thanks.

There are adapters to plug into the port of the phone that you can plug corded headphones into. I have a Samsung and was able to find one at Staples.

If you search for USB-C to 3.5mm Headphone jack Adapter you'll find them.
That would be the simplest solution. I will look into that.
Thanks.

A bunch of years ago, I used to listen to music while riding, using an i-pod and ear buds.
I found ear buds bothersome after a long ride... wouldn't stay in... would get uncomfortable, so I gave up all together.
Flash forward to now. I decided to try some in helmet speakers, so I bought a set of UCLEAR Pulse speakers.
They arrive, I get all excited, install them in my helmet to try them out, only to realize my phone doesn't have an audio jack.
When the hell did they stop putting audio jacks in phones?!?!
Anyways, I'm guessing I need some type of bluetooth device.
I'm looking for recommendations on how I should proceed.

A bit of information about my needs:

- If you can't already tell, I'm a complete technotard (talk to me like I'm from 1964, I won't be offended)
- I ride alone, so I don't need a fancy communicator to talk to other riders, or even a passenger.
- I'm really only interested in listening to music. (I don't even need to answer my phone while I'm riding)
- I'm looking for good quality sound and simple to use.

Any recommendations will be appreciated.
Thanks.
You can get the same speakers/mic set in Bluetooth (wireless) for $25-50.

You install them the same way, then pair them to you phone. Pairing is easy, press the button on the speaker control that puts the speakers into pairing more, then go to the Bluetooth settings on your phone. Your phone will list the speaker by name, click on that and you will be paired. Do it once and the speakers/mic will find your phone every time both are turned on.

Another alternative - about $200 - is a Domio stick on audio player. Domio Moto Helmet Audio System Ive never used one, perhaps someone on this forum has and can chime in.

You can get the same speakers/mic set in Bluetooth (wireless) for $25-50.

You install them the same way, then pair them to you phone. Pairing is easy, press the button on the speaker control that puts the speakers into pairing more, then go to the Bluetooth settings on your phone. Your phone will list the speaker by name, click on that and you will be paired. Do it once and the speakers/mic will find your phone every time both are turned on.

Another alternative - about $200 - is a Domio stick on audio player. Domio Moto Helmet Audio System Ive never used one, perhaps someone on this forum has and can chime in.
Last I heard Domio was shipping faulty units en mass just to keep the people complaining about no shipments quiet. I had one in order and pulled my money after 2 months of no shipment confirmation.

If you're going to spend that kind of money, I'd go with a better known brand like Cardo, Scala or Sena...we've been using the Sena SMH5 since 2014 and love them...it's their oldest model I believe, but works great...

Shure 215s are the go to for many riders....you will never get the sound quality or ambient noise suppression from in Helmet speakers.

My wife uses the Shure 215s, she has a smaller ear canal and appreciated that the Shures don't stick out very far and press against the inside of the helmet. They are a bit fiddly to seat right, but after some practice you should get a good seal everytime.

I use Etymotic in-ear monitors. Easy to seat and get a good seal everytime for noise isolation, but they are long-barreled, and stick out pretty far out of the ear canal, which means the inside of your helmet may press uncomfortably on them if you have a shallow ear canal.

Unfortunately, the short-barreled Etymotic ER-6is were discontinued a long time ago. These were the gold standard for IEMs. The newer Etys are cheaper than the 215s and they don't bother me too much.

If you're going to spend that kind of money, I'd go with a better known brand like Cardo, Scala or Sena...we've been using the Sena SMH5 since 2014 and love them...it's their oldest model I believe, but works great...
I've had a Cardo on my Shoei for a few years, great unit. I tied a cheepie $30 Bluetooth unit from Amazon for another helmet -- works just as well (so far).

My wife uses the Shure 215s, she has a smaller ear canal and appreciated that the Shures don't stick out very far and press against the inside of the helmet. They are a bit fiddly to seat right, but after some practice you should get a good seal everytime.

I use Etymotic in-ear monitors. Easy to seat and get a good seal everytime for noise isolation, but they are long-barreled, and stick out pretty far out of the ear canal, which means the inside of your helmet may press uncomfortably on them if you have a shallow ear canal.

Unfortunately, the short-barreled Etymotic ER-6is were discontinued a long time ago. These were the gold standard for IEMs. The newer Etys are cheaper than the 215s and they don't bother me too much.
I had a set of the ER-6i's until one of the cords came loose. Great 'phones, Etymotic makes good stuff.

I have a set of the Shure 215's, but I have use(d?) them for travel and flights more than riding. I find them pretty consistent for seal as long as you do the thing where you pull up on your ear with the opposite hand. I really like how they have the reinforced cord that goes back over your ear, which means they're really secure, resisting pretty solid downward tugs.

I have a Sena system now that I use mostly for voice commands of my phone for navigation while riding, and while it (sort of) does the job with music, it can't compete with anything in-ear for anything approaching decent fidelity.

I think if I start riding distance again, and want music for the miles, I'll look at some of the in-ear Bluetooth options. I have a set of Cambridge Audio Melomania 1+ wireless headphones, and while they sound great for Bluetooth, they stick out a bit too far and are easily dislodged. Some of the Sony options with ANC look interesting and a lot more secure.

Has anyone tried something like the Sony WF-1000XM4 headphones? I'd be curious how they hold up to helmet on/off and whether the ANC can cope with wind noise...

"In" before... "OMG, you're gonna die 'cuz you can't hear what's going on around you"

I listen to music while riding too... 'Have tried a few things, but always end up back with a decent set of ear buds plugged into my old Samsun S4 phone.
I use either a Chubby Buttons BT controller...
cb.jpg

or lately, this $24 device I have velcro'd to my clutch reservoir.

512-rR9nCIL._AC_.jpg

Both work great...

+1 for Sure 215s with Bluetooth cable. These have x2 types of soft tips (foam and rubber) in 4 diff sizes = perfect fit…
Life can’t get any easier than that nowadays = Good in-ear bluetooth headphones + iPhone with all the music in the world :)

P.S. Make sure you have a few good playlists compiled ahead of ride so no need to fiddle with all these buttons contraptions ;)

I had a set of the ER-6i's until one of the cords came loose. Great 'phones, Etymotic makes good stuff.

I have a set of the Shure 215's, but I have use(d?) them for travel and flights more than riding. I find them pretty consistent for seal as long as you do the thing where you pull up on your ear with the opposite hand. I really like how they have the reinforced cord that goes back over your ear, which means they're really secure, resisting pretty solid downward tugs.

I have a Sena system now that I use mostly for voice commands of my phone for navigation while riding, and while it (sort of) does the job with music, it can't compete with anything in-ear for anything approaching decent fidelity.

I think if I start riding distance again, and want music for the miles, I'll look at some of the in-ear Bluetooth options. I have a set of Cambridge Audio Melomania 1+ wireless headphones, and while they sound great for Bluetooth, they stick out a bit too far and are easily dislodged. Some of the Sony options with ANC look interesting and a lot more secure.

Has anyone tried something like the Sony WF-1000XM4 headphones? I'd be curious how they hold up to helmet on/off and whether the ANC can cope with wind noise...
I used the galaxy buds/buds+. Worked well

I ordered the adapter cord from Amazon yesterday.
It showed up today.
All works well.
Thanks for the replies.

Think about how you're going to change volume when riding. I stopped using ear buds partly because they didn't fit well, and partly because I hated using the tiny buttons on the cord. If you have a phone mount, you need gloves with touch capability. Unless your phone locks after a certain amount of time. The Bluetooth remote mentioned by @Hack looks like a good option if it works reliably. I went to a Sena 3S for the cheapest name brand bluetooth comm, and then considered adding a bluetooth remote, but instead upgraded to a Cardo Freecom 4+ with voice controls for everything, which I use constantly for volume and track skip.

Think about how you're going to change volume when riding...The Bluetooth remote mentioned by @Hack looks like a good option if it works reliably.

They both work completely reliably.
The chubby buttons unit I strap to my right (throttle) forearm...
This allows me to press the buttons with my left hand. Right hand stays on the throttle.
The disc-like unit sits on my clutch reservoir... 'Within easy reach of my left paw...

I ordered the adapter cord from Amazon yesterday.
It showed up today.
All works well.
Thanks for the replies.

I think that I may get one of those adapters so that I can use plug-in headphones again. I have 3 sets of Bluetooth earbuds and hardly ended up listening to music at all last year because their batteries were always dead. I'm not good at remembering to charge things so being able to plug them into my phone was a bonus.

There are times I thought some music would be nice, but I don’t trust the nrr on any noise suppressing earbuds.

So this is the only music I get:

termignoni-vector-logo-small.png

Good reminder as i want to find something to be able to listen in. Will try out my AirPods first to see how they fit. If those don’t work I’ll look at other options.

Any links to these <$50 Amazon kits anyone recommends?

Back
Top Bottom