Lightweight performance batteries | GTAMotorcycle.com

Lightweight performance batteries

Cheaper? Not likely.

But yeah, better tech, better battery. I got one in the fall from Pete's, mainly for the extra underseat space though the weight savings is nice too. Been working well so far.

There were some issues with some of the early brands of this type of battery. Are those straightened out? This is a different brand name than what I've seen before.

I bought a shorai, it's been awesome. Time will tell how long it'll last and how it will behave next season.

The cranking power of the batteries is *much* weaker in temps below say 5C. I have several of them, they're all the same story.

I bought a shorai, it's been awesome. Time will tell how long it'll last and how it will behave next season.
I've heard nothing but good things about Shorai batteries, I plan on getting one when my Yuasa is toast.

I plan on retrofitting HIDs. Will these be able to power them? Or will the Yuasa suffice?
Do I need to get a more powerful aftermarket stator along with this battery?

I plan on retrofitting HIDs. Will these be able to power them? Or will the Yuasa suffice?
Do I need to get a more powerful aftermarket stator along with this battery?

batteries don't really power your electronics, your alternator/stator does, if your alternator/stator can not handle the load the battery fills in but it can only do this so long before it's dead.

The cranking power of the batteries is *much* weaker in temps below say 5C. I have several of them, they're all the same story.

Good to know thanks. So just when you need it then it fails you. A large capacity twin really need excellent cold cranking amps performance as well as extreme heat cranking amps performance. Without that on a big twin forget it.

I don't do that much riding under 5C anyways.

What about charging. They really do not need any charging over lifetime of the battery? That's kind of a surprise to me.

I don't do that much riding under 5C anyways.

What about charging. They really do not need any charging over lifetime of the battery? That's kind of a surprise to me.

My lead-acid battery in my old bike was never charged for 4 years/50,000km and it's still going strong.

My lead-acid battery in my old bike was never charged for 4 years/50,000km and it's still going strong.

I wish I could say the same. I guess it depends on the bike. If I don't trickle charge during off-season, the batteries in bikes I ride would not be strong enough to crank in the spring.

My '06 1000 has 45k on it now and the original battery is still strong as ever. It gets plugged into the tender between rides (not sure if that has helped or not but can't hurt).

What it means by "not requiring charging" is that the self-discharge rate when the battery is sitting disused and not connected to anything, is much much lower than for a lead-acid battery, which typically loses a few percent of its charge every month even when not connected to anything. If you've never had to charge a lead-acid battery it just means you haven't stored the bike for long enough for it to self-discharge to the point that it won't start the engine. Naturally, a crappy lead-acid battery will self-discharge faster than a good one. The newer sealed AGM lead-acid batteries self-discharge much less than the old traditional flooded-cell type.

If your bike has a digital clock or a security alarm system that is constantly drawing a milliamp or two, that represents a discharge that is sooner or later going to discharge the battery no matter what type of battery it is. But still, the lower self-discharge rate of this type of battery helps.

Back
Top Bottom