Light Weight sprocket effect chain life? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Light Weight sprocket effect chain life?

slowbird

I'm changing my sprockets and chain over the winter. I got a great deal on a Rear sprocket for my bike but it's a light weight one.

My question is, will it effect the life of the chain, or will the rear sprocket just wear out faster and I'll just replace it sooner than I would a Steel one?

the AFRAM hardened aluminum ones get my good life

Light weight (i.e. aluminum) is not a problem as long as it goes along with being good quality.

Should be 7075-T6 hard anodized. I've had good life out of sprockets like that.

Tip: If you're buying chain and sprockets anyway, and you are changing the final drive ratio, instead of putting a smaller front sprocket, use a stock number of teeth on the front sprocket and do all the ratio-changing with the rear sprocket, and install a chain a couple links longer as necessary. Doing that puts less load on the sprockets, the chain, the transmission output shaft, the suspension, etc.

A lightweight sprocket will wear faster which will in turn wear out the chain quicker. They are mating parts and the chain will become the same pitch as the sprockets. A lightweight sprocket can cause a chain to have half of it's life.

Donald

A lightweight sprocket will wear faster which will in turn wear out the chain quicker. They are mating parts and the chain will become the same pitch as the sprockets. A lightweight sprocket can cause a chain to have half of it's life.

Donald

QUALITY comes into play here.

Crap 530 vs Good quality 520 ....good quality 520 will outlast.

I think its more of a steel vs aluminum thing.

Donald

Have to agree here, I never change just a sprocket.....As the parts wear together. If your rear sprocket is worn so is your chain....If you use the old chain on a new sprocket you will not get the same life out of the sprocket as you would if you used a new chain...

I always suggest both sprockets and chain be changed as a set....Fronts last longer but its still a good idea to change them all as a set to get the maximum life out of all 3 parts...Chances are if you have tight/loose spots in your chain because of sprocket wear, even after you change the sprocket you will still have tight/loose spots because the chain has also worn...See that all the time with people that skimp out and dont change as a set

Cleaning and lubing and most importantly PROPER ADJUSTMENT makes the biggest difference in chain and sprocket life.....Over tighten your chain and you instantly ruin all 3 parts together...

Last edited:
Get a steel Superlite. Not much heavier than aluminum (a few grams?) and wears much better.

If you are going 520, get an D.I.D. ERV3 chain, too. It's a bit more money but you will thank me for it.

Have to agree here, I never change just a sprocket.....As the parts wear together. If your rear sprocket is worn so is your chain....If you use the old chain on a new sprocket you will not get the same life out of the sprocket as you would if you used a new chain...

I always suggest both sprockets and chain be changed as a set....Fronts last longer but its still a good idea to change them all as a set to get the maximum life out of all 3 parts...Chances are if you have tight/loose spots in your chain because of sprocket wear, even after you change the sprocket you will still have tight/loose spots because the chain has also worn...See that all the time with people that skimp out and dont change as a set

Cleaning and lubing and most importantly PROPER ADJUSTMENT makes the biggest difference in chain and sprocket life.....Over tighten your chain and you instantly ruin all 3 parts together...

+1.

and fronts are cheap...at $25 or so

Fronts are more like $15 last I looked.

For some junk yeah, AFAM, Renthal, etc all the good ones from my experience are $30+

I prefer AFAM or Renthal for fronts...Much better quality then alot of the other crap on the market

Vortex Nickel plated junk.....Looks bling in the package, nickel wears off quickly!
images

Renthal case hardened Nickel-Chrome-Molybdenum steel (same as AFAM) Looks like plain old steel, no fancy bling plating but strong like bull
front_chainwheels.jpg

Ok ok...lets clear things up here.

I'm replacing both sprockets and the chain. (Everything on there is still Factory. Chain looks to have some tight spots.)

I'm staying with the stock gearing and stock chain length. I'm also keeping the 530-112 size

I'm replacing the Front sprocket with another factory one.

Replacing the chain with: DID 530 Gold X-Ring. Brand new. (Got it for cheap)

Replacing the Rear Sprocket with: Renthal Light weight Hard Anodised. Brand new. (Got it for cheap too)

I don't mind if the Sprocket wears out fast as it is super easy to change on my bike. But if it's going to half the life of my chain then I may go get a Stock rear Sprocket.

Don't worry about me lubing and adjusting the chain. I'm quite OCD about that.

I'm not looking for performance gains or anything. I got this Renthal sprocket for very cheap and I'm just wondering if I should install it or not.

I'll second the recommendation on the drive systems steel superlite sprockets. They split the weight difference between OEM steel and aluminum and will last a long time.

Get a steel Superlite. Not much heavier than aluminum (a few grams?) and wears much better.

If you are going 520, get an D.I.D. ERV3 chain, too. It's a bit more money but you will thank me for it.

Drive Systems DID Kit.jpg

I just stick with steel!
I do a bit of touring and need more life in my drive-train. To me the last place I want to cut weight off is my drive-train. All at the expense of a few grams, doesn't make sense to me. If I am actively competing in a race, then that few grams "might" make a difference, but for everyday street? I wouldnt even be able to tell the difference if someone come to my garage and swap it out at night.

Renthal case hardened Nickel-Chrome-Molybdenum steel (same as AFAM) Looks like plain old steel, no fancy bling plating but strong like bull

Nice, the same stuff they make tools out of

I'll just install everything and use the Renthal Sprocket I got. I'll keep an eye on it throughout next season. If it starts to wear I'll just swap it. It's quite the easy job on my bike. Just 6 nuts. Don't even need to take the wheel off.

Back
Top Bottom