Lifes2short....Ride the World | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Lifes2short....Ride the World

You have taken some great pictures.

Seconded and I cost him a new baby camera and me a new lens as a result of his efforts :D
Keep em coming.

Seconded and I cost him a new baby camera and me a new lens as a result of his efforts :D
Keep em coming.
Hey the camera arrived today. A little disappointed that the lens remains exposed when shut off, although it appears it will take a filter to help protect it. Haven't had a chance to take any pics with it but I do like the compact size and weight. It will most likely live in the rear pocket of my jacket so it's easily accessible for Lori when we're riding.

Filter tho the lens cap is reasonable tho easy to lose. I've found mine tends to over expose on automatic.
You might want to play with the Scene presets as there is no sunshade.

St John's

The following morning we awoke to dozens of the little biting flies hanging around under the fly of the tent. We did our usual divide and conquer routine where Lori packs up the inside of the tent and I work on the outside when she's done. I figured the time had come to break out the bug head nets and our nylon windbreakers (Montbell Tachyon Anorak). We initially bought them for hiking, but they're bug-proof and at only 1.9oz each are easy to pack on a bike. The combination was just brilliant against these guys by the way. We also managed to set a personal best time for camp takedown, apparently we just needed the right motivation.

Our destination was a fairly short 271km away in St John's. We had some trouble finding accommodations at first as everything seemed to be booked up, until Lori came across Memorial University with brand new dorms for $55/night. I have to say that we were both pleasantly surprised when we arrived. Our rooms (yes we had our own rooms) were very clean with a desk and plenty of storage. The shower and bathroom were both inside the main unit but shared between the two rooms, a typical university/college set up. We were both impressed and wouldn't hesitate to stay here again. In fact if you stay more long term (month or longer), the price goes down to $30/night.

We booked four nights here as we wanted a bit of a break and also wanted to see some of the local sights. We killed day one doing laundry, catching up online a bit and watching the world cup in the lounge on our floor. It was nice to be off the bike and just chill. With free tea and Keurig coffee in the lobby, this place was bordering on all-inclusive.

Little did we know the best was yet to come. We eventually managed to wrestle ourselves from all the amenities and made it outside to take a ride up to Signal Hill, where the first ever transatlantic wireless transmission (morse code) was received back in 1901.

Looking back at the road leading up to Signal Hill, with St John's in the background.

Even from here you could make out the colourful homes lining downtown St John's.

Not unlike the west side of NFLD, I didn't have any expectations of Signal Hill. This only added to the WOW factor when we got to the top and looked around. We certainly weren't expecting this:

We guessed that was part of the fort just down from the lighthouse.

But we also wanted to try to put the size of the iceberg into perspective. You can make out the lighthouse just over my right shoulder.

Easily one of the coolest things I've seen.

This one was a little further out to sea, it looked ready to split at any moment.

A panoramic view of the entire area.

On the way down the hill, we stopped to check out the Geo Centre. The building itself is built against a huge section of rock which is 550 million years old (give or take a week), that is exposed inside the building. The oldest rock on the planet by the way. The GEO centre houses various geological and space exhibits, and we also caught an awesome 3D movie, Flight of the Butterflies while there. But the highlight for me was the Titanic exhibit. Very informative. Another sad story of loss of life, this one a result of arrogance and greed.

Cape Spear

Leaving Signal Hill, we headed for the eastern most spot in continental North America, Cape Spear. Although it was only a few kilometres away, the temperature dropped from about 16C in St John's to a bitter 6C at Cape Spear. We left our gear on and donned our toques to have a look around.

We were essentially across the bay from Signal Hill.

Remnants of the gun battery installed here during the WWII to defend the entrance to St John's harbour.

Although it was a pretty cool place to visit, I don't think Lori has officially thawed out yet, so we took off back to tropical St John's after a very short visit.

Hey, everyone needs a hug sometimes...

My only visit to St. John's was shrouded in a heavy fog. Lol.

I couldn't see anything.

One of the days we were there was raining and foggy. We walked to Water street downtown for dinner and we could not see across the bay.

Westbound

After four wonderful days in St John's, it was time to get going again. The vote was in, we would take the same ferry that brought us here at Port Aux Basques. We declined the much closer ferry out of Argentia for a few reasons. It wasn't running for another two days which meant we'd have to stay in the St John's area, it's also an overnight crossing that takes 15 hours instead of 6. Another consideration was that of cost, as this ferry is $200 more and another $200 if we opted for the shared cabin with beds instead of sleeping in the chairs.

Too many factors that didn't appeal, so it wasn't much of a surprise we both decided to ride back to Port Aux Basques. What was a surprise was Lori saying "hey, we should do that ride in one day". Say whaaaat? But that's exactly what we did, 901km in about 13 hours, not exactly record breaking but turned out to be the longest mileage day we've ever had 2up. We made a decision to get home and it was easy to stay motivated to put down bigger miles.

The forecast for the day? You guessed it, rain and between 9C-12C. In fact with the exception of the four Tim Horton's stops we made that day, 11 of those hours were in the rain.

By the time we pulled into Corner Brook, we weren't smiling. We were soaked through and Lori was turning cyanotic around her lips. I also discovered water getting into the side cases. Something appears to have squished the gasket of the lid in a couple of spots, I guessed this was the entry point. We swapped layers (again) and made a final push for St Christopher's hotel in Port Aux Basques.

View somewhere along the Long Range Mountains....I think. It was definitely a type II fun kind of a day.

Snug as a bug in a rug.

Our ferry crossing the following day was uneventful and gave us a chance to reflect on Newfoundland. Two things that stand out immediately are the people, easily some of the friendliest & most generous folks we've ever met and the spectacular landscape. We both wished we could have spent another month on the island just exploring. Although we don't exactly have a schedule to keep, we want to get out west before closing time in Alaska.

We both skipped dinner on the ferry deciding to stop at the Black Spoon Bistro in North Sydney once we got in. Cozy little place and our dinner was mouth watering amazing, all for about the same cost of dinner on board. Definitely a good call and only about a 4 min ride back to the Arm of Gold campground from there.

The following day we found ourselves back in Amherst taking a break at another Tim Wendy's, we also needed to figure out where we'd be staying that night. A few minutes later a blue Tiger Explorer pulls into the parking lot and that's when we met John and his wife Caddie. John said he heard of us from a friend of his who was following us online.

A couple of weeks ago, a fellow inmate on ADVrider had told me to keep an eye out for John as he was heading for the Cabot Trail. Lori and I were both amazed that we could run into them, that they would be in the same area of the province and pick the same Tim Wendy's to stop and take a break at at the same time. The world only got smaller as we got talking, apparently we had quite a bit in common (outside of the obvious moto-stuff). We had a great chat and decided to check into the same hotel for the night. John has already travelled to some of the countries we are planning on visiting and it was great to carry on the conversation over dinner.

We both went our separate ways in the morning, Lori and I were heading home via the states and John and Caddie were sticking to home soil. Later guys.

We had another big mileage day as we headed for Gorham NH, which is nestled in the White Mountains a mere 683km away. It's strange but once we decide to go home, we somehow manage to put down significant miles with ease. Maybe some of you find the same thing, but all we seem to want to do is ride when home is on the radar.

Mount Washington

The following morning was like Christmas for me. No I don't mean it was snowing, although it wouldn't have surprised us at all. I had been looking forward to getting to the top of Mount Washington for some time and though we wanted to get home, this was one stop I wasn't going to miss this time. Lori decided to remain at the hotel and get some administrative stuff completed (mainly some phone calls to family to let them know we'd be home in a few days), so I was off to the top solo. WooHoo!

The ride up was pretty cool, first the road serpentines through dense forest, eventually taking you above the treeline.

And views like this.

It seems everywhere we go there is still snow.

Found some playmates for the Tiger while I went sightseeing.

You can make out a hiking trail off to the right.

Hello ISS? Yes, this is Mount Washington calling...

It feels like I'm at cloud level here.

Built in 1853 and restored in 1987, the Tip Top House is a former hotel.

Some more sights at the top.

Mount Washington's very own Cog Railway

Fantastic 360 views at the top.

You can make out a couple of hikers in this shot. To get to the top, one can take the railway, tour van, your own vehicle, or my favourite; your own two feet. In fact many who thru-hike the Appalachian Trail will hike all the way from Georgia to here, before continuing on to Mt Kathadin in Maine (about 2182 miles in total). Another bucket list item for me, but that's another story.

Cool little factoid about Mt Washington

The old...and the new. My previous ride was the ST1300 much like the one on the right.

Time to head back down, I think Lori is probably waiting outside of the hotel by now (tapping her foot).

Short section of dirt. Of course going down, the driver of the vehicle in front of me must have thought it was ice, they were going that slow.

Apparently I didn't have to rush down, Lori was still on the phone when I got there. Because of the side trip up Mt Washington, we didn't get going till about 1130 yet still managed to ride 566km that day.

We finally got to experience (enjoy?) some of the heat wave we've been hearing about back home. Good riding (along route 8 I think) once we got into NY, we've always enjoyed going through the Adirondacks, another very scenic area.

On the way we passed by Mexico, Russia, Norway, Rome and of course, Poland. This was quickly becoming a real RTW adventure. Of course each of those was prefaced with Town of, or Village of but pretty cool none the less.

We have decided to take a break for a couple of weeks at home before heading west. I say home, but what I really mean is our hometown with family. We sold our home last November and have been living a vagabond like existence ever since. In the meantime we have a few loose ends to take care of here. The bike needs service, we have a few gear changes to make and also want to re-organize ourselves a bit before carrying on. It's also nice to see our family and friends again.

Last edited:
Re: Mount Washington Contd

Well your timing is good with a very soggy hurricane chewing up the East Coast....good you got decent weather - pics are great.

Seems I need to put that area on the bucket list for when I get home.

Long riding season for me this year starting in August after zilch so far this year except for one nice run to find spring too many weeks ago.
Too busy and really not interested in local rides now heading to Alaska for a 4 weeks train and car.

Then it's two wheels as far into December as weather allows....glad I sort of missed last winter....no repeats please.

You also missed some mugly hot sticky yucky weather in S Ontario. That at least is over for a bit.

Re: Mount Washington Contd

Thanks guys.

I wouldn't say I missed the heat, or missed the heat :blob6:. We've actually been back for over a week now, just took me a bit to catch up on the blog.

Back on the Road

View from the back of the bike continues....

Two weeks were not nearly enough time to see everyone and do everything we wanted to while at home. We have been thoroughly spoiled by our amazing family and are already missing them terribly. I'm pretty sure I've cried a couple of buckets of tears in the last few days. Again I have asked myself why would we do this? Again I come up with all the same answers. We are doing this to live, not merely exist in a life of workeatsleep that was our reality for many years.

We are anxious to see all the beauty the world has to offer (both nature and people) and in turn share it with our family, friends and anyone else who is interested and may not be able to see it for themselves. Most importantly we are doing this to inspire Michael and Kimberly that they can truly do anything they want in life. They just have to put their mind to it and push on. Life's not always roses but the rewards for putting yourself out there are by far the best.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you to everyone and especially to John and BooBoo who have fed us, housed us and supported us on our crazy adventure.

We didn't take too many pictures over the last couple of weeks, but here are a few.

Going through the bike tightening all the nuts and bolts that the dealership was kind enough to loosen off for me.

Taking a break for a photo bomb opportunity.

We are back on the road and currently in Ottawa.... Illinois that is. We pushed through a very long day yesterday to get beyond Chicago as we had no desire for the big city life even for a night. (Something I read about 87 shootings on the July 4th weekend reaffirmed that decision) Of course that meant a hotel stay for us as we are now soft from all the pampering. Our destination? West!

~Lori

I love the pictures and the write up.

What was your worst moment on the road so far?

Your best?

I love the pictures and the write up.

What was your worst moment on the road so far?

Your best?

Thanks RR. Interesting question that I hadn't thought of before and not an easy one to answer to be honest. There are too many good ones to pick from. For me it was just after riding off the ferry in NFLD and being stunned by the view, equally matched when we rode into Gross Morne. I wasn't exactly expecting it so it blew me away that much more I think. The icebergs and moose were pretty cool. I think meeting Sheldon though tops all of those, it was such a serendipitous & overall incredible experience. One minute we're filling up asking where a good place to eat is, next thing we know we're watching the Stanley Cup in his house. Lori agrees this is her most favourite experience.

I don't really feel like there was a worst moment for me. Getting a case of the dropsies with our digital devices for a while in Quebec was frustrating and expensive. Lori also wanted to Lifeproof all of our electronics after that ;).

Lori's was being swarmed by the biting flies at Lockston Path Provincial Park, they were just brutal and we both got countless bites that lasted for over a week. I think she also didn't like the cold much.

Her best, besides meeting Sheldon was seeing the kids and family after being gone for 5 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom