License Plate Cover | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

License Plate Cover

It would be nice if dealers could be delivered a formal registered letter (maybe from the crown?) that explains what you can and can't put over a plate. After that letter is delivered, if they are found to contravene the law, the corporation catches a fine (say $10,000 for a first offence, increasing exponentially for further offences). It would be a lot faster to clean up 99% of the problem by targeting a few thousand dealers than a few million drivers. Easy to enforce, a cop just waits for somebody to drive out with their brand new car, takes a few pictures and walks back to the dealer and tells them to bend over.

Didn't the dealer's mechanic just release an illegal car? Why isn't his license on the line.

I wouldn't think that is part of a safety.

Didn't the dealer's mechanic just release an illegal car? Why isn't his license on the line.

No the mechanic did NOTHING wrong. Merely, having the frame installed, does NOT make the vehicle illegal. As has been pointed out, it only becomes illegal once the vehicle is operated on a public roadway. The mechanic has no ideal what YOU intend to use the vehicle for.

Also, as correctly pointed out it is NOT part of the safety.

Therefore, why would the mechanic's licence be pulled???

I'm in agreement with a few others here.

Driver most likely was pulled over for another offense, cop was in a decent mood during the interaction and laid a "fix it" charge on him knowing all you need to do is remove the plate frame, show a picture to the crown and the ticket will be tossed out.

Seems the officer was trying to be a nice guy and this ass decided to call the media for over his fake outrage.

No the mechanic did NOTHING wrong. Merely, having the frame installed, does NOT make the vehicle illegal. As has been pointed out, it only becomes illegal once the vehicle is operated on a public roadway. The mechanic has no ideal what YOU intend to use the vehicle for.

Also, as correctly pointed out it is NOT part of the safety.

Therefore, why would the mechanic's licence be pulled???

To the letter of the law the mechanic is 100% clear. However if he knows the frame is illegal once the car is on the road he is setting the driver up for a ticket. There's something wrong with that. Conspiracy charge or ????

BTW I just removed my frame but was wondering if car rental companies have framed plates. Since the driver is responsible for the ticket is he allowed to remove the frame?

The reality is that the frame / cover issue is petty. Either make it an issue by hammering everyone and get 100% compliance or write the law off the books. I wonder how many millions it would cost to study the implications and how long it would take. Probably why we have so many outdated laws.

Last edited:
Needless busywork.
Rules sadly don't apply to LEO's.

...how many cops you see on the road each day drinking, eating or using their cellphones while cruising around?
They are specifically exempt from the cellphone ban. BS, I know, but that's the law. Either driving with a cell phone is dangerous and can not be done, or it can be done safely as long as you are paying attention. Saying it is safe for some and not for others is just political crap.

They are specifically exempt from the cellphone ban. BS, I know, but that's the law. Either driving with a cell phone is dangerous and can not be done, or it can be done safely as long as you are paying attention. Saying it is safe for some and not for others is just political crap.
Not the argument, they save lives and as such need access to their device to perform their duties. Or so they say! :rolleyes:

Not the argument, they save lives and as such need access to their device to perform their duties. Or so they say! :rolleyes:
I know the BS argument that was presented. They have radios, they can do hands free, there is nothing holding them to the standard of phone only for saving lives. It was just a BS argument. I suspect the behind the scenes discussions had police writing precious few distracted driving tickets unless they were exempt.

So there was an update on this case on CTV News tonight.

Turns out that the *real* reason for the ticket was that the FRONT license plate was not affixed to the front of the vehicle (as required), but was instead on top of the dashboard (not permissible - viewed through the windshield is not good enough). The rear license plate frame had nothing to do with it.

In that case the driver knew exactly what he did was wrong.
Why would you call the media and get 15 min of fame if you knew that you did brake the law.

On a side note.
I replaced my plates today as the old were still under warranty and peeling. I put on a clear shield to prolong the life of them. Hopefully it helps and hopefully I don't get a ticket.
Even if I do, i for sure won't be calling the media. ;)

So there was an update on this case on CTV News tonight.

Turns out that the *real* reason for the ticket was that the FRONT license plate was not affixed to the front of the vehicle (as required), but was instead on top of the dashboard (not permissible - viewed through the windshield is not good enough). The rear license plate frame had nothing to do with it.
So it was related to an annoying guy with a mercedes and lambo and RR embroidered on his jacket. Big surprise. The world is right again.

If the device is used to make driving safer there, in a perfect world, be a get out of jail free card. I.E. you get a call from someone advising you that the 403 is closed @ XXX so you detour around the crash instead of adding to the mess. Similarly touching your GPS to get a detour route.

Re the rest of the story, front plate on the dash, the owner should get mandatory custom plates starting with POS.

The front plate thing is odd. Some provinces and many states don't require them. Trucks need the stickers on the front but cars on the rear.

My buddy likes his 4X4 pickup because he can smash his way into a snowbank to make a parking spot. He did that a week or so back and it tore off his front plate which he then put on his dash.

If the device is used to make driving safer there, in a perfect world, be a get out of jail free card. I.E. you get a call from someone advising you that the 403 is closed @ XXX so you detour around the crash instead of adding to the mess. Similarly touching your GPS to get a detour route.

Re the rest of the story, front plate on the dash, the owner should get mandatory custom plates starting with POS.

The front plate thing is odd. Some provinces and many states don't require them. Trucks need the stickers on the front but cars on the rear.

My buddy likes his 4X4 pickup because he can smash his way into a snowbank to make a parking spot. He did that a week or so back and it tore off his front plate which he then put on his dash.
Tell your buddy you're going to miss him when the plate takes his head off in an accident.

Good point. I knew a plastic surgeon that commented about how many foreheads he had to stitch up from visor impacts.
I put it right up with putting your feet on the dash board and people who put their small pets in their lap while driving. Do they not have a damn clue about where that pet is going in an accident?

I put it right up with putting your feet on the dash board and people who put their small pets in their lap while driving. Do they not have a damn clue about where that pet is going in an accident?
At least the pet will hurt much less than the airbag driving your knees through your face.

Back
Top Bottom