License Plate Cover | GTAMotorcycle.com

License Plate Cover

nobbie48

Site Supporter
It's happened again. $110 fine for a dealer frame. I think someone else posted about a similar incident a while back.

Was the cop just in a bad mood or was he bringing this to light in order to get the petty law changed?

At first glance, looking at his car, italy hat and Grand Touring Automotive coat with RR and Lambo embroidery, I thought he was going to be annoying and this was a value-added ticket. He actually seemed like a reasonable guy. Maybe the cop pulled him over for something else with a higher fine and gave him the plate ticket as a consolation prize because it can easily be beat in court.

I doubt the cop was doing it to get the law changed. If there really wanted to do that program, they should be handing out hundreds of those tickets every day to completely overwhelm the courts. As was brought up in the video, the cop could just walk through the DPS parking lot and write a whole book of tickets just on police vehicles.

Last edited:
Do as i say, not as i do.

Complete waste of Police time and money handing out tickets like this.

image.jpg

Not that its the dealers fault but the dealer is playing the stupid card and pretending not to know that these are illegal.

In the US, someone would try to sue the dealer.

You can buy fire engine lights at princess auto. Just because they are legally sold, doesn't mean they are legal to use.

That picture Jayv posted is from the article. DRPS is who issued this man the ticket. Seems like the situation demands a clear resolution one way or the other

That picture Jayv posted is from the article. DRPS is who issued this man the ticket. Seems like the situation demands a clear resolution one way or the other
Cops aren't law makers. Everyday you see cops breaking the law. The situation is clear, the cops just rarely choose to enforce that law. Yes, I think it would be better if that law didn't exist in its current form, but government has better things to do than waste a ton of resources revising it. Imo, it works reasonably well now. It is almost never used but it is available for the police should they believe the situation warrants it. Given the number of wankers I see with dark tinted plate covers, I am actually surprised this ticket doesn't get handed out as a value-added with almost every speeding ticket.

Dealers are playing a 'crossing the line' game here. They install a plate frame, which makes the vehicle illegal, but the driver gets charged.
Dealer claims 'didn't know', dealer gets to advertise and all is good.
Had a dealership install a frame on my car when it went in for a service, not happy and told them to remove it.

And yes wingboy, driver/operator is the one that is responsible to have a 'legal' vehicle.
It would be nice if dealers could be delivered a formal registered letter (maybe from the crown?) that explains what you can and can't put over a plate. After that letter is delivered, if they are found to contravene the law, the corporation catches a fine (say $10,000 for a first offence, increasing exponentially for further offences). It would be a lot faster to clean up 99% of the problem by targeting a few thousand dealers than a few million drivers. Easy to enforce, a cop just waits for somebody to drive out with their brand new car, takes a few pictures and walks back to the dealer and tells them to bend over.

This isn't a "dealer" issue. The dealer has done nothing wrong. The Durham Regional Police haven't done anything wrong, in this PARTICULAR case (Durham police are basically mall cops with guns... and attitude).
The charge is not "Have a obstructed plate".
The charge is "Operate a motor vehicle with obstructed plate"
The operator is responsible for the vehicle. Not the dealer, not the owner. Those Durham regional police Tahoes sitting in the parking lot are 100% legal...until someone operates one on an Ontario highway.
We need an obstructed plate law.

Maybe the cop pulled him over for something else with a higher fine and gave him the plate ticket as a consolation prize because it can easily be beat in court.

I've gotten out of a couple of speeding tickets that way. Used to run without a front license plate and got pulled over for ~20 over.

Was given a ticket for no front plate. $110 was more expensive than the speeding ticket, so the gov't got more revenue, but more importantly for me - no demerit points.

Happily paid the fine.

Tried to take mine off when I first got the car. One came off easily, and the other seemed like it was welded on. I didn't want to take an impact driver to a new car, so I put it off. Consolation is that I don't have to worry about losing the plate.

All I can say is that there is some serious police work.... Lol.

Crime fightin' for sure...

Those stupid covers have always been illegal...but dealerships continue to slap them on there anyways. I have about 20 of them stacked in my garage - it's the first stupid thing I always pull off when we bring a vehicle home, and I've pulled a few off for relatives as well. Not only am I NOT advertising a company for free (which is all these stupid things are anyways), but I've known forever that they're not above board.

As for this particular case of this guy getting ticketed, I have a sneaky suspicion this was a "you were driving like a jerk but I'll just give you this low hanging fruit ticket instead of nailing you for something more serious....now go on your way" scenario. Mercedes, after all. ;)

This isn't a "dealer" issue. The dealer has done nothing wrong. The Durham Regional Police haven't done anything wrong, in this PARTICULAR case (Durham police are basically mall cops with guns... and attitude).
The charge is not "Have a obstructed plate".
The charge is "Operate a motor vehicle with obstructed plate"
The operator is responsible for the vehicle. Not the dealer, not the owner. Those Durham regional police Tahoes sitting in the parking lot are 100% legal...until someone operates one on an Ontario highway.
We need an obstructed plate law.

Pretty sure if the Merc driver goes back to the dealership they will reimburse the fine.

Happened to us a couple of years ago we ran into a couple of issues where the driver got charged. We changed the size of the frames, and never a problem after that.

It's a North American thing and i agree with Private Pilot. You want me to advertise for you, then pay me for using the frames. Crazy thing is people ask for them all the time......

It's a North American thing and i agree with Private Pilot. You want me to advertise for you, then pay me for using the frames. Crazy thing is people ask for them all the time......

There go the Molsons, Coke and Harley tee shirts.

Back
Top Bottom