Left Lane Loafers - Watch This | Page 6 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Left Lane Loafers - Watch This

Each lane on a 400 series should have it's own separate min and max speed limits. Right lane min 90, max 110. Middle lane min 110, max 130. Left lane min 130, max 150 (or more). This would eliminate a lot of congestion and be much safer. You would never pass on the right because traffic would always be slower there, also if an emergency brake and avoid were needed you would always brake and avoid to the right because there wouldn't be anyone flying up the right side of you. As it stands you can get on the 401 in Windsor and drive all the way to Quebec legally in someone's blind spot. Also, I virtually never have someone driving right on my *** because...well...I speed, but if there is someone closing the gap I get out of their way (more than happy to have a speeding ticket lightning rod). That said, I would rather someone close to my tail than right beside me. In an emergency you have 3 options: brake, avoid, or brake and avoid. If someone is right beside you, you're left with only brake (this of course assumes throttling it out isn't an option).

Just my humble opinion.

Each lane on a 400 series should have it's own separate min and max speed limits. Right lane min 90, max 110. Middle lane min 110, max 130. Left lane min 130, max 150 (or more) ....

Just my humble opinion.
Great idea and all, but as we know there are people who are incompetent... and it boils down to the lowest denominator.

I like what the office said in the video right at the beginning with driving being a active ability. It's not for most, as driving a car is too easy, and they forget to apply their full concentration to the task, then build up bad habits. Stuff like the above could work if everyone was at the same level. Maybe when autonomous driving starts to work ideas like that could take off.

Multi speed limits for each lane won’t help people who are so obtuse that they don’t even realize when they’re effectively obstructing traffic by being in the wrong lane to begin with given the current setups.

75% of the driving public don’t know 90% of the most basic rules of the road, and the 10% many actually know are often willfully disregarded...IE, speed limits.

Enhanced traffic enforcement is the only thing that drives the point home with most people, and even then, I’m sure LEO’s could tell you a million “But officer, I didn’t know!” tales of woe from the roadside.

It won't correct itself overnight, but, as more underspeeding tickets are issued, people will get their s__t together. If a person speeds, they don't hold anyone up, when they drive slow, they hold everyone up. Make the underspeeding ticket double that of a speeding ticket and it'll fix bad habits in a hurry.

And as for drivers not concentrating on the task at hand, when a drunk driver gets their license back, a breathalyzer is installed for some period of time in the car to prevent the same from happening again. If you get caught watching netflix, or texting while driving, for the next year your cars airbag is replaced with a big metal spike.

Each lane on a 400 series should have it's own separate min and max speed limits. Right lane min 90, max 110. Middle lane min 110, max 130. Left lane min 130, max 150 (or more). This would eliminate a lot of congestion and be much safer. You would never pass on the right because traffic would always be slower there, also if an emergency brake and avoid were needed you would always brake and avoid to the right because there wouldn't be anyone flying up the right side of you. As it stands you can get on the 401 in Windsor and drive all the way to Quebec legally in someone's blind spot. Also, I virtually never have someone driving right on my *** because...well...I speed, but if there is someone closing the gap I get out of their way (more than happy to have a speeding ticket lightning rod). That said, I would rather someone close to my tail than right beside me. In an emergency you have 3 options: brake, avoid, or brake and avoid. If someone is right beside you, you're left with only brake (this of course assumes throttling it out isn't an option).

Just my humble opinion.
There already is a law 20 under the limit on freeways is an offence, never is it applied.

He admits it in his last sentence - it's just another rant.

Multi speed limits for each lane won’t help people who are so obtuse that they don’t even realize when they’re effectively obstructing traffic by being in the wrong lane to begin with given the current setups.

75% of the driving public don’t know 90% of the most basic rules of the road, and the 10% many actually know are often willfully disregarded...IE, speed limits.

Enhanced traffic enforcement is the only thing that drives the point home with most people, and even then, I’m sure LEO’s could tell you a million “But officer, I didn’t know!” tales of woe from the roadside.
I agree that enhanced enforcement is the way to go. I've driven past signs that say "slower traffic move right", they are invisible to the people that ought to be reading them. I think without enforcement, many drivers become selfish and show indifference to lane rules.

I's like to see tougher restrictions on drivers who accumulate demerit points. Hit 6 points and you need a 1 day refresher course of you go back to G2.

I agree that enhanced enforcement is the way to go. I've driven past signs that say "slower traffic move right", they are invisible to the people that ought to be reading them. I think without enforcement, many drivers become selfish and show indifference to lane rules.

I's like to see tougher restrictions on drivers who accumulate demerit points. Hit 6 points and you need a 1 day refresher course of you go back to G2.
And most people travelling at the speed limit dont consider themselves "slower". They consider that they are travelling at the maximum legal speed so they can be in any lane (and probably even justify the left lane as proper placement as they are going the fastest speed.legally allowed).

And most people travelling at the speed limit dont consider themselves "slower". They consider that they are travelling at the maximum legal speed so they can be in any lane (and probably even justify the left lane as proper placement as they are going the fastest speed.legally allowed).
That's why I think the signs should say "keep right except to pass". Somewhere in my decades of driving I saw these, but I don't remember where.

That's why I think the signs should say "keep right except to pass". Somewhere in my decades of driving I saw these, but I don't remember where.
Everywhere there is a long steep up hill and a passing lane provided.
;) and if you drove a truck and trailer you would have noticed that.

Where I live, this sign
300._Devco-S10041_-_RB-37_-PASSING_LANE__-_900x900_-_May_17_2012.png

means "Time to test your roll on acceleration"
And this sign
left-lane-ends-sign-x-w4-2l.png

means "Drop anchor"

I live in the "country" and it's hay season, so there is farm equipment pulling hay wagons down the road, SLOWLY.
On the back roads, no problem, on major thoroughfares : BIG PROBLEM.
It seems country bumpkins are kinda timid drivers and don't seem to mind following the hay wagon down Hwy 7 at 25 KPH. So now we have 30 -40 cars trundling along at 25 KPH, bumper to bumper... so to pass them you have to get into the on coming lane and BLAST by half a mile of cars.
I did that the other day, and went sailing by two OPP cars in the middle of the pack. OOPs.

Tractors don't have to get off the road any more either, they are entitled to drive the lane.

... have you ever driven a tractor that maxes out at 13kph on an 80 kph road! Trust me, it's freakin scary even if you are driving the shoulder.

section 132
Well if you wanted to be a dick about it, many trailers are marked as 85 km/h max. They would have a hard time getting the charge to stick in court if you were trying to comply with the max safe speed of the trailer. Yes, you could take a non-expessway, but I would counter that anyone that doesnt want to exceed 100 km/h could/should also take a non-expressway. Obviously they are in no rush to get to their destination, they are just impeding others.

Back
Top Bottom