Leaving the keys in. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Leaving the keys in.

puttockc

Hey all,

I'm in my third season and I ride downtown most of the time. In my time so far, I've come across about 5 bikes, while street parking, which I noticed had the keys left in them.

The keys I've found have mostly been in the ignition or the seat lock. A couple of them I left a note and took the key to a business which was open late nearby. One brand new CBR250 at Ryerson I found with a long lanyard dangling so I stuffed the key in a crevice you would only see if you were standing over the bike and I've left them in a helmet.

Does anyone else find keys in bikes and what do you do with them?

specific locations and bikes I remember:

Yzf600r on Edward and Yonge
Ninja250 at church and Alexander (travel store)
CBR250 in front of Ryerson security

Sent from my my mobile using a strange app for damaged people

I've only seen my key left behind in the ignition!! lol!

Now I use one of these to help remind me. I also use the Ignition key turn off the bike rather than the kill switch. This way I turn off and remove key at the same motion.

41HGHx4Yr3L._SX425_.jpg

I've done it a few times before. I've never found a bike with the key left in it, though.

Yzf600r on Edward and Yonge
Ninja250 at church and Alexander (travel store)
CBR250 in front of Ryerson security

Hope these bikes don't show up on the 'Someone stole my bike' type of thread...

I'm not very observant and also have no reason to look at other peoples ignition switches so, unfortunately, cannot report any relevant sightings. I'm not going to invent sightings just to be a part of some sick online game.

Only seen it once on another bike, (done it many times myself), but I only have the bike no tag etc so the person really needs to llok to see it in the ignition. The one time I did see it, it was at a cdn tire so I went inside looked for person in gear and told them, they went and got their own key

I left key few times ( = dead battery after work day) thats why my new bike has keyless start :)

I'm not very observant and also have no reason to look at other peoples ignition switches so, unfortunately, cannot report any relevant sightings. I'm not going to invent sightings just to be a part of some sick online game.

Don't look at ignition switches, just look for the bike that is parked with the headlight on.

Heard somebody at KC left their HP4 keys in and another rider took the key then went off lol

This is why you don't leave your keys in.

Let me rephrase the question...

If left your keys in your bike, presuming it would be hours till you return/notice, if someone found them, what would you have someone do if they noticed?
I would say take them to the closest bar/restaurant and leave a note.

36-24-36

I only notice how fast the bikes must be because of the rim tape and stickers.

Then I sit on it and make frum frum sounds.

Now that I know folks are leaving keys, I'm gonna start em up instead of making the sound myself. Much more authentic.

Great way to test ride a bike, you might be interested in ? or something you have never ridden, to get a feel for it.....

Maybe they do it on purpose, leave the key in it, claim insurance on the bike, ring ring, hello, yah someone stole my bike today.....

Sorry I would just keep on walking, I can see it now, I want to help, and the owner just happens to walk out and accuse me of trying to steal the bike....no thanks...

I heard country folk leave their doors unlocked. Can anybody confirm?

I will admit I left mine in the ignition once at work. Only downside for me was a dead battery due to the light being on all day, got lucky.

This at least used to be a thing. Although the only person I knew in my neighbourhood that did it was a friend of mine that had a huge Rottweiler.

I've never left the keys in and in the ON position. Just in but off.

Nice to have the KPASS system on my Kawi. Given my old age and memory issues just one less thing I have to worry about.

Last weekend I left the key in the ignition and watched Avengers 2 at the theatre. That was the first and only time I've left a key in the ignition.

If I found someone else's key in the ignition, I'd take the key or leave it at some business and leave a note.

so what stops someone from taking the note to said business and claiming the key, then stealing the bike?

We did for about 70yrs on the farm, now in town I lock the door if I'll be gone overnite. One B&E in the country (technically the door was open) and my garage was looted here in town. Those are good enough odds.

Can the OP or a mod remove the list of bikes in the first post? It's basically a list of free bikes

Back
Top Bottom