Lane splitting at a red light? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Lane splitting at a red light?

Max527

Is it legal? Can you get ticketed for it?
Twice today I've witness two riders moving to the front of the line for the red to change. Not mad or anything just truly curious. 40229

Yep, Not legal. IIRC there was a story here a few years ago of someone who got dinged for it, too.

Is it legal? Can you get ticketed for it?
Twice today I've witness two riders moving to the front of the line for the red to change. Not mad or anything just truly curious. View attachment 40229
In a nutshell, 2 vehicles cannot occupy the same space in the same lane.

The ticket could range from Stunting/HTA 172 to improper use of lane (or however it's worded).

About the same as popping a wheelie in front of a cop car.

... he looks very relaxed, maybe that will work.

What that usually does in Ontario, is allow one person to hold up two lanes of traffic, instead of just one.

In Toronto lol a last moment pedestrian crossing gets in the way of that minibus making the left turn and blocks progress for at least half the intersection :| probably right where the biker was planning on going.

I've definitely noticed people filtering to the front or at least advancing a couple cars ahead a lot more this year. Drivers still have no clue what to do when the light turns green and a bike is beside/between them though. Id only risk it if traffic is at a complete stop, way to much pointless "thread the needle" lanechanging.

Last edited:
What's the risk? If someone bumps you and writes off your bike, is it automatically an at fault, and charges?

Anyone here been hit while splitting or filtering?

What's the risk? If someone bumps you and writes off your bike, is it automatically an at fault, and charges?

Anyone here been hit while splitting or filtering?
We had one forum member (IIRC it was G4getmoney) that seemed like a decent guy but he got dinged with stunting for filtering. He had to sell his bike to pay for the impound/fine. I don't think he ever came back. That's a pretty big risk to me.

9M5E4
lol because your computer screen sucks ?

... and I'm pretty sure it's a black CBR500 :unsure:

Last edited:
Can always go up beside the parked cars....so you are actually in the "lane" that parked vehicles are in and therefore not sharing a "live" lane. ;)

Is it 921 or 92I? I can't tell because of the distortion from the plate cover, but that's a different stupidity.

Back
Top Bottom