Lake Superior tour - suggestions? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Lake Superior tour - suggestions?

Now that is funny, there are 2 Grand Marais along Lake Superior. I believe the one you are talking about is in Michigan closer to Sault Ste Marie (I also didn't know there were 2 Sault Ste Marie's). I didn't do the southern part of Superior in the States, I was coming up from Milwaukee so I did HWY 2 along the top of Lake Michigan. It was ok, only because I hit rain on that stretch, just drizzle for the most part.
The Grand Marais I was referring to is along the west side Of Superior in Minnesota south of Thunder Bay taking HWY61 not to far after Grand Portage.
That explains it. I was confused when you said Grand Marais after saying you didn't do the south shore. FWII the ride up 77 to GM that I mean was really good.

I should clarify,

I’m looking for what part of the route has the best twisties!

Sights and scenery are cool but I’d rather spend time carving a winding road than looking at waterfalls or museums (although fun in their own right)

I’ll have about 10 days.

what’s a better ride from wawa to sault saint marie - 129 or 17?

Is copper harbor worth the extra trek?

If you could only ride one side, US or Can which would you pick?

Thanks for everyone who posted so far!

129 is about the only twists you will find.
10 days s of the border = twists heaven in PA and West Virginia.

PA has no ticket agreement with Ontario and superb roads for riding twists. The Superior Loop is pretty much for sightseeing.

The north side follows the lake and you get to see it far more than on the south shore. On the south shore there is no major hiway/road hugging the shore as there in the north. Both Copper Harbour and Grand Marais are not special in their own right but the road up to both was very good.
The south part of 129 is good. I don't recall 101 from Chapleau to Wawa being special.
If you want twisties this is not the trip. The Soo is 7 hrs. You can be in Pennsylvania in about 3hrs. PA is full of good roads.

I should clarify,

I’m looking for what part of the route has the best twisties!

Sights and scenery are cool but I’d rather spend time carving a winding road than looking at waterfalls or museums (although fun in their own right)

I’ll have about 10 days.

what’s a better ride from wawa to sault saint marie - 129 or 17?

Is copper harbor worth the extra trek?

If you could only ride one side, US or Can which would you pick?

Thanks for everyone who posted so far!
I haven't ridden the south side of the lake, but the north side is really nice. There are several twisty bits worth checking out in the area around SSM that include:
  • Hwy 6 south of Espanola to Little Current - there's a super cool swing bridge in Little Current if you get a chance to see it in operation and only takes a couple minutes to see - don't even have to get off your bike.
  • Hwy 129 between Thessalon & Aubrey Falls - north of Aubrey Falls is pretty boring all the way up to Chapleau, but the section from the 554 junction heading north to Aubrey Falls is very fun.
  • Hwy 638 which loops between Bruce Mines and Echo Bay near Sault Ste Marie
  • Hwy 556 between Sault Ste. Marie and Searchmont Resort is amazing pavement and tight fast sweepers (the 556 between Searchmont Resort and Aubrey Falls is 84km of really fun, twisty hilly gravel if you are into that sort of thing)
  • Loop around Elliot Lake including 108/639, 546, 544
  • Trans Canada up to Wawa and the various scenic stops with amazing views of Lake Superior
Something like: Wawa to Little Current

1650735655218.png

Once you pass Wawa, then you are getting into an area that is more scenic than twisty. Some of the views are really spectacular with very nice elevation changes and views of the water, so it's worth doing the north shore of Lake Superior at least once. And then if you have the time, there are some really nice roads to explore between TBay and Kenora, but they aren't tight twisties - more like fast sweepers. Some of those roads are around 150km between gas stops, so plan accordingly if you go. Something like:
1650735310756.png

Have an awesome trip!

Last edited:
I haven't ridden the south side of the lake, but the north side is really nice. There are several twisty bits worth checking out in the area around SSM that include:
  • Hwy 6 south of Espanola to Little Current - there's a super cool swing bridge in Little Current if you get a chance to see it in operation and only takes a couple minutes to see - don't even have to get off your bike.
  • Hwy 129 between Thessalon & Aubrey Falls - north of Aubrey Falls is pretty boring all the way up to Chapleau, but the section from the 554 junction heading north to Aubrey Falls is very fun.
  • Hwy 638 which loops between Bruce Mines and Echo Bay near Sault Ste Marie
  • Hwy 556 between Sault Ste. Marie and Searchmont Resort is amazing pavement and tight fast sweepers (the 556 between Searchmont Resort and Aubrey Falls is 84km of really fun, twisty hilly gravel if you are into that sort of thing)
  • Loop around Elliot Lake including 108/639, 546, 544
  • Trans Canada up to Wawa and the various scenic stops with amazing views of Lake Superior
Something like: Wawa to Little Current

View attachment 54684

Once you pass Wawa, then you are getting into an area that is more scenic than twisty. Some of the views are really spectacular with very nice elevation changes and views of the water, so it's worth doing the north shore of Lake Superior at least once. And then if you have the time, there are some really nice roads to explore between TBay and Kenora, but they aren't tight twisties - more like fast sweepers. Some of those roads are around 150km between gas stops, so plan accordingly if you go. Something like:
View attachment 54683

Have an awesome trip!
Thanks! You probably saved me hrs of slabbing. I think I’ll do parts of the north side and skip out on the south side.

I did the loop around Elliot lake last year (546), great road but it was under construction for 3/4 of it, I’d wait till it’s fully re-paved if youre thinking of riding it (or put on knobbies and let that rear wheel wave back and forth in the gravel!)

I can also attest to hwy 6 between little current and the island, great road, and good ice cream south of the bridge.

Back
Top Bottom