Lake Superior tour - suggestions? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Lake Superior tour - suggestions?

Phoenixfire99

I’m planning to do the Lake Superior tour this year (or at least parts of it). Heard it’s host to some of the greatest motorcycle riding!

Because I’ll be pressed for time I’m looking for suggestions on what parts are the best to ride and what are some of the “must sees”.

I got the free map from ridelakesuperior.com which has a ton of useful info.

Has anyone done this route? What were your favorite parts?

More info?
I've looped Superior and if you do the south shore through the UP of Michigan then I have some thoughts. Staying in Canada the Trans Can is nice once you're past Marathon if my memory is correct.
Some nice gravel roads north of the Soo if that's your thing.

So, what kind of riding are you looking for and is the US in bounds?

It's a great trip. Some of the things you want to know:

The south side of superior can get brutally hot in from mid June through mid August as hot air comes in from the prairies, while the north side is chilly from westerlies cooled by Lake Superior. I'm talking about 90-100F on the south, and 40-60 on the north between Tbay and Wawa. I went clockwise and took 9 days to do the loop, about 500KM /day.

Rather than talk about all the attractions, here are a couple of links that have lots of info. I'll just like the ones I liked most.

For places to stay:
Recreation.gov - Camping, Cabins, RVs, Permits, Passes & More federal parks, $5 to 25/night (book now)
Places To Stay (motels, BnB)

Rides I liked:
Sable Point Trail
Deer Park to Munising
Covington to Copper Harbor
Ashland to Port Wing

Other things I did/Liked:

Dropped into Aerostich in Duluth (I used to make textiles for them)
Kakabeca Falls, NW of Thunder Bay
Pebble Beach, Marathon ON (great city owned campground in Marathon)
Che Cheemaun ferry from Baymouth to Tobermory (need a reservation)

+1 for the ride up to Copper Harbour
Just south east is Pequaming and the Ford ghost town
The ride up 77 to Grand Marais is awesome.
There's also the vintage sled museum that I managed to miss.
The spring in Manistique

But all these are a moot point if you're not going stateside.

I'd not call it great riding compared to say PA or WV but it's enjoyable riding with some top scenery.
I used to go in August when Superior had warmed up but did the last one in June as it was blistering hot in Toronto and wanted to escape.
Layer up for the north side ....got down to 9 in the fog and hypothermia was in the cards and did not have decent gloves.
However that passed and it was a pleasant 16ish around the top then then jumps to 30+ in the south and wild Tstorms.
Felt like a spaceman arriving at a cafe just after the turn....I was all geared up for chilly riding and they were out in the sun in light clothes and 30C.

I'd go north on 129 at Thessalon and then 556 back to the TransCan. 129 is fun.
some photos - uncurated.

If you time the weather correctly just after a hot stretch breaks then you can travel behind the front and get some spectacular storms in front of you. You do not want to get caught by the front.
Upper Peninsula Michigan is heavily forested and gorgeous in June. The MicMac Bridge is spectacular but not a good idea in rough weather.
I've done it in a long 4 days in 2017 starting very early which you can in June but 5-6 a bit more sensible. Weather is critical, wet foggy and cold no fun at all.
Oh yeah mind your gas through the park.

The Lake Superior has been on the list for a couple of years now. Roughly how long is the circle tour, can it be done in 4 days? starting from Toronto?

Circa 3200 km so depends on your tolerance for long days ....and luck with weather.
Screen Shot 2022-04-19 at Apr, 19    2022    4.01.07 AM.jpg
I was so tired on the last day getting home in the evening I got lost in Mississauga:eek:
You can't make much speed around the top of the lake but slab to Sault and from the MicMac Bridge home gives you a shot in June.

The Lake Superior has been on the list for a couple of years now. Roughly how long is the circle tour, can it be done in 4 days? starting from Toronto?
Nope. It's about 4000km and about 65 hours of riding if you take a typical blue highway route, 3300km and 40 hours of riding on a freeway bee-line. You have 2 border crossings, food stops, fuel stops, and in the summer there are columns of motorhomes and caravans sharing the loop.

Most riders would take 8-10 days.

Why are two border crossings an issue?? Unless a long weekend that's a 1/2 hour at the most and less if you have a Nexus and usually less regardless.. 8-10 days??? ....there is just not that much scenery and I'm not sure how 3148 km becomes 4,000.
Upper Pennisula is all trees. It is pretty in June but..... most of Michigan is all trees.
You could spend some time on the west coast of Michigan but again marginal riding and not all that much to see.
Typical Michigan secondary road. You do have to mind deer and other critters.
Screen Shot 2022-04-19 at Apr, 19    2022    6.41.35 AM.jpg
Going in August or Sept would cut your riding hours signficantly but IMNSHO second half of June is ideal.

Superior finally warms up in August enough to enjoy the beaches along the route - I'd guess this year will be tight on accommodation.

Why are two border crossings an issue?? Unless a long weekend that's a 1/2 hour at the most and less if you have a Nexus and usually less regardless.. 8-10 days??? ....there is just not that much scenery and I'm not sure how 3148 km becomes 4,000.
Upper Pennisula is all trees. It is pretty in June but..... most of Michigan is all trees.
You could spend some time on the west coast of Michigan but again marginal riding and not all that much to see.
Typical Michigan secondary road. You do have to mind deer and other critters.
View attachment 54584
Going in August or Sept would cut your riding hours signficantly but IMNSHO second half of June is ideal.

Superior finally warms up in August enough to enjoy the beaches along the route - I'd guess this year will be tight on accommodation.
3148km is the Iron Butt route -- you will see some scenery but IMHO not really worth the ride unless all you want is a badge for ringing superior on Freeways and the Trans Canada. There are lots of spots to stop and enjoy a hike, walk, nice meal... not going to do that in 4 days.

There are interesting roads in the UP, and it's quite scenic to head along the lake where you can. Both my trips were 4000km and 8 days. Add a spin around Mantoulin and a crossing from So Baymouth to Tobermory and you have 1 day alone.

1650318975802.png

8-10 days......
Well since the rock is calling me this year it will have to wait....

I was there a couple of years ago crossing it with atv. This year all roads and highways.
Yep Newfoundland.

It's a great ride around Superior, I did it back in 2018, very last minute didn't plan it very well and just took in the sites by pulling off when I saw something interesting. Northern Ontario is just so different then Southern Ontario it's just amazing on it's own. The route is pretty straightforward since there are limited roads up north.

I did first day to from Toronto Sault Ste Marie (I didnt' do the ferry in Tobermory)
Pitstop in Sudbury
IMG_2062.JPG

Some paintings along the way
IMG_2085.JPG

Then Salt to Thunder Bay - got distracted by all the sites along he way, had to hustle to get into town before dark

Goose is Wawa
IMG_2091.JPG

Pebble beach in Marathon was one of these magical stops
IMG_2098.JPG

Finally TB - just before you get into town.
IMG_2108.JPG

Next day was a quick ride to the boarder heading to Duluth.

Pitstop in Grand Marais - resort town for some donuts
IMG_2111.JPG

Found this along the way too - Split Rock Lighthouse
IMG_2117.JPG

I didn't do the southern part of Superior and instead went down to Milwaukee to see the HD museum. But I did go around northern Lake Michigan (west side) and crossed into Mackinaw City on the Mackinac Bridge, which was interesting with the steel grate. Also got caught in this crazy thunderstorm in Wisconsin, had to wait under a over pass then about an hour later I was dry has it got hot again. No joke about the weather in WI.

Then rode a bit of the north east side of Lake Michigan, tunnel of trees etc recommended by riders here, they know their stuff!

There is tons to see along this route, mine were mostly by accident and just pulling off when I saw an interesting sign, and others with a bit of planning.

Also keep in mind things close a lot earlier up north then they do say around the GTA.

Have fun it's a great ride.

Last edited:
Never have gotten to Newfoundland :( Just could not work out the timing. That's a short time frame for that trip.

I pulled into a few of the scenic stops doing the fast loop but the water too cold in June for any beach adventures ...fog and cold was brutal through the park where some of the best places are.

I did not see the point of going back via Sault just to slab in Ontario and fuel is cheaper in the US.
You can take the cut off to Copper Harbor but I was concerned I would get in too late and they were all stoopid expensive. THE BEST Copper Harbor Accommodation of 2022 (with Prices) - Hotels in Copper Harbor - Tripadvisor

Going up and back and price just did not appeal. I had not intended 4 days ...just that last day it was too tempting to get home

Screen Shot 2022-04-20 at Apr, 20    2022    9.30.42 AM.jpg
Stayed somewhere around Marquette on the main route which is not slab. Just lots of trees.
Screen Shot 2022-04-20 at Apr, 20    2022    9.34.34 AM.jpg
Was staying just behind the storm front. Crazy lighting that night...got in just at dusk.
Then a blitz home with nasty cross winds until I turned east.
Vstrom never liked cross winds and it was tiring.
Screen Shot 2022-04-20 at Apr, 20    2022    9.19.06 AM.jpg

@sburns Did you run 77 up to Grand Marais? I remember that was very good.

@sburns Did you run 77 up to Grand Marais? I remember that was very good.
Now that is funny, there are 2 Grand Marais along Lake Superior. I believe the one you are talking about is in Michigan closer to Sault Ste Marie (I also didn't know there were 2 Sault Ste Marie's). I didn't do the southern part of Superior in the States, I was coming up from Milwaukee so I did HWY 2 along the top of Lake Michigan. It was ok, only because I hit rain on that stretch, just drizzle for the most part.
The Grand Marais I was referring to is along the west side Of Superior in Minnesota south of Thunder Bay taking HWY61 not to far after Grand Portage.

Back
Top Bottom