Kudos to SS long distance riders | GTAMotorcycle.com

Kudos to SS long distance riders

MacDoc

Site Supporter
Swiped my son's 650sv today and took me right back to RD400 days but damn the back pack felt heavy and not sure how long my neck would take the tipped up position.

That said the big tank took pressure off my hands - one reason I bailed on the RD. Bike felt light and well balanced - great brakes.

Took a bit to get the knees bent enough and find the shifter compared the upright position on the KLR650 but it came back okay.

Bike is sure light and feels very like the RD400 in the powerband - nice little rush .

Glad I did not opt for that CBR660RR in Aus tho - really need to look for a sport tourer despite the SS being fun for a bit.

I sure understand the relief sitting up for a bit with one hand on knee - nice break from the crouch.

If kid gets some side cases tho I might steal it again ...:D

Swiped my son's 650sv today and took me right back to RD400 days but damn the back pack felt heavy and not sure how long my neck would take the tipped up position.

That said the big tank took pressure off my hands - one reason I bailed on the RD. Bike felt light and well balanced - great brakes.

Took a bit to get the knees bent enough and find the shifter compared the upright position on the KLR650 but it came back okay.

Bike is sure light and feels very like the RD400 in the powerband - nice little rush .

Glad I did not opt for that CBR660RR in Aus tho - really need to look for a sport tourer despite the SS being fun for a bit.

I sure understand the relief sitting up for a bit with one hand on knee - nice break from the crouch.

If kid gets some side cases tho I might steal it again ...:D
Funny thing I find SV650's very uncomfortable in stock trim my 1198 is actually much more comfy for me and I should know I have both. The SV is better with a 4" rise on the bars and 2" added to the seat and front suspension worked over but still no better than my Duc for me for touring.

I've read mixed reviews regarding the ConvertiBars. I think they were even unavailable/off the market for a bit (liability issue?). There's a CoolNComfy bar kit available out of the UK, as well as a Spiegler kit. Neither are exactly cheap, but cables, SS brake lines, etc. are included and neither require trimming the faring/windshield. I've been seriously eyeing the CoolNComfy for my SVS.

A big part is being lucky enough to find a bike that ergonomically suits the rider.

I just completed a 7 day 4,500 km trip on a SS bike. Stopped on the 7th morning to phone a buddy to ask if he wanted to do the fantastic route as I would do it all over again the next day.

Part of what I rode: Skyline Drive, Blue Ridge Parkway, Cherahola Parkway, Tail of the Dragon, Smokey Mountain Forest.....

Then 1,600 km trip to Pennsylvania last Saturday/Sunday.

Just do it! Ride :) life is too short.

brakes...what brakes? My SV only came with speed scrubbers, nothing with enough power to qualify as brakes.

Funny thing I find SV650's very uncomfortable in stock trim my 1198 is actually much more comfy for me and I should know I have both.

I'm sitting here like a confused dog turning my head cocked to the left trying to make sense of what you just posted. I spent about an hour on an 1198 and the thing is a frigging torture rack, id take my race setup SV with lower bars and race rearsets for touring over an 1198. You're nuts lol.

As an aside i have some adjustable height bar risers from crap forgetting the name of the company. I ended up drilling a few too many holes in one of the bars trying to get my switches in place, but they're for sale if someone wants them.

50 bucks, i think they retail for over 200, i'll take some pics if anyone's interested

A big part is being lucky enough to find a bike that ergonomically suits the rider.

Just do it! Ride :) life is too short.

I agree. I'm in Vancouver right now. Got here in four x 12 hour days and was never particularly fatigued any evening. I've been coast to coast on my BMW SS and have never wanted any other ride at any time.

I agree. I'm in Vancouver right now. Got here in four x 12 hour days and was never particularly fatigued any evening. I've been coast to coast on my BMW SS and have never wanted any other ride at any time.

How far can you go on a tank of gas while cruising on that thing?

Back
Top Bottom