Knives - What are you using in the kitchen?? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Knives - What are you using in the kitchen??

oioioi

Site Supporter
What is everyone using in their kitchen?
Professional chef grade or Canadian Tire special??

We were at the Home show this weekend and walked by the CUTCO Knives booth (they actually had 2 booths). Short presentation by the gentlemen, knives felt super sharp to the touch. Decent handle, lots of types of knives to choose from.
They say they should last 7-10 years before a sharpening is needed. Not sure if I believe that. They also provide free sharpening service and will replace the know if it gets damaged in any way shape or form.

The smallest package of 5 knives was at a show special of about $760. I think the next one around $1200 and so on......

I don't know anything about knives, but I do know that I was not ready to spend that kind of dough on a knife set.

We are not professional chefs and we also do not have any high quality knives in our kitchen. However, I can appreciate a good sharp knife.
I don't mind spending a good buck on product X if I can justify the cost. Would I spend a grand on some knives? Sure, if I knew they were worth it.

Maybe if I did some homework ahead of time and knew the different price ranges.
But, just something about a "show special" doesn't past the smell test to me.

Wondering what the rest of you are using...

I’ve gradually replaced my knives with Victorinox ones when they are on sale. Can’t remember the review now but price/performance they can’t be beaten. They aren’t that pricey at all compared to Henckels etc.

Edit: they are nowhere near $700.

Here you go. These are chosen by trainee chefs quite often apparently.

I just have the Fibrox (cheaper) ones as a 10” chefs knife, bread knife and a couple of paring and tomato slicer knives. I can’t imagine needing anything sharper. These things are viciously sharp.

I’ve gradually replaced my knives with Victorinox ones when they are on sale. Can’t remember the review now but price/performance they can’t be beaten. They aren’t that pricey at all compared to Henckels etc.

Edit: they are nowhere near $700.
They also had one of the Henckels there as a comparison in cutting leather. Both serrated blades but the Cutco had a different shape of teeth.

The demonstration was me holding the knife with the blade down while the gentlemen ran the piece of leather back on forth on the teeth. However with the Cutco knife, he ran the leather in one motion towards himself. Yes, it was a nicer cut vs a tear, but to me that is not comparing apples to apples. The method should be exactly the same in both tests, either back and forth or single motion with both knives.

Things like this make me feel skeptical about it all.

Last edited:
Here you go. These are chosen by trainee chefs quite often apparently.

I just have the Fibrox (cheaper) ones as a 10” chefs knife, bread knife and a couple of paring and tomato slicer knives. I can’t imagine needing anything sharper. These things are viciously sharp.

Much more attractive pricing.

The also had one of the Henckels there as a comparison in cutting leather. Both serrated blades but the Cutco had a different shape of teeth.

The demonstration was me holding the knife with the blade down while the gentlemen ran the piece of leather back on forth on the teeth. However with the Cutco knife, he ran the leather in one motion towards himself. Yes, it was a nicer cut vs a tear, but to me that is not comparing apples to apples. The method should be exactly the same in both tests, either back and forth or single motion with both knives.

Things like this make me feel skeptical about it all.

Never had an issue with the Victorinox ones. Had them for years and run them over a steel every now and then. The bread knife might need sharpening but we’ve had it for years. I have an electric professional sharpener too that I use every now and then but these keep their edge really well.

What is everyone using in their kitchen?
Professional chef grade or Canadian Tire special??

We were at the Home show this weekend and walked by the CUTCO Knives booth (they actually had 2 booths). Short presentation by the gentlemen, knives felt super sharp to the touch. Decent handle, lots of types of knives to choose from.
They say they should last 7-10 years before a sharpening is needed. Not sure if I believe that. They also provide free sharpening service and will replace the know if it gets damaged in any way shape or form.

The smallest package of 5 knives was at a show special of about $760. I think the next one around $1200 and so on......

I don't know anything about knives, but I do know that I was not ready to spend that kind of dough on a knife set.

We are not professional chefs and we also do not have any high quality knives in our kitchen. However, I can appreciate a good sharp knife.
I don't mind spending a good buck on product X if I can justify the cost. Would I spend a grand on some knives? Sure, if I knew they were worth it.

Maybe if I did some homework ahead of time and knew the different price ranges.
But, just something about a "show special" doesn't past the smell test to me.

Wondering what the rest of you are using...
We have a few Cutco knives given to us as a wedding gift 30 years ago. Still cutting, but so are the other mish mash of 30 year old knives in the drawer.

I’m not a knife person, I have a good sharpener and a wet stone. I can put a razor edge on my knives of no pedigree.

Ron Popeil would smile.

I've had this "Wusthof Classic" set over a decade. No regrets, after initial price shock.
Different sets available, or buy single pieces.
Very comfortable handle on the Classic. You can filet a chicken with the scissors.
Combined with the Wusthof sharpener...........highly recommend.

My partner bought a full set of Cutco knives about 15 years ago ( I call them Crapco). She paid about $2000 for them, I think that they are WAY overpriced. I have to say that they have held their edge quite nicely and never needed sharpening in all these years . They also replaced a few of them under warranty that had the handles melt in the dishwasher.You would be way better off getting a nice set of German knives for a quarter of the price and learning how to properly use them and maintain them in my opinion. Having said that, a friend of mine had a set set of knives from Costco that were made in China that were as sharp as scalpels for less than $200, they were some of the nicest knives that I’ve ever used. The best advice I can give you is that knowing how to maintain your knives is just as important as which knives you buy. Don’t ever put your fine edged knives in a dishwasher, I cringe when people do that.

My partner bought a full set of Cutco knives about 15 years ago ( I call them Crapco). She paid about $2000 for them, I think that they are WAY overpriced. I have to say that they have held their edge quite nicely and never needed sharpening in all these years . They also replaced a few of them under warranty that had the handles melt in the dishwasher.You would be way better off getting a nice set of German knives for a quarter of the price and learning how to properly use them and maintain them in my opinion. Having said that, a friend of mine had a set set of knives from Costco that were made in China that were as sharp as scalpels for less than $200, they were some of the nicest knives that I’ve ever used. The best advice I can give you is that knowing how to maintain your knives is just as important as which knives you buy. Don’t ever put your fine edged knives in a dishwasher, I cringe when people do that.
I agree that proper use and storage is probably more important than the brand itself.
Trick is to get everyone that uses said knives to follow the same guidelines. ;)

I just use a set from Walmart. They do the job for me.

A friend of mine gave me a Tosho Knife. I feel like a Samurai. No idea what one of these cost, but looks exquisite.

Other then that, Ginsu 2000? Cuts a can and a tomato. (y)

A friend of mine gave me a Tosho Knife. I feel like a Samurai. No idea what one of these cost, but looks exquisite.

I watched a crazy chick run a Ginsu thru her boyfriend at the Mutiny bar in Keswick. Seemed to cut easily.

I have a couple tosho knives at home (+6" santoku and +8" gyuto, both a bit over $200 at the time), and have also gifted them to some throughout life. They're the nicest and sharpest knives i've ever used, and they sold me on the ceramic honing blade in lieu of the steel one I had prior. The owner is also very nice and really (or seems to) know their stuff. This was prior to their move/expansion though.
Definitely an annoyance with cleaning, as I now go through sponges a lot quicker than i used to prior to using them.

I've heard good things about cutco, but really the user(s) and the care given matters so much more than the brand, as said above. As evidence when i see friends pull their knives out of a dishwasher...

As others have said, learn to sharpen and you can make almost anything work. I am very anti-cutco. Lots of marketing, mediocre at best imo.

90% of the time, I don't want a serrated knife.

Most of my knives are two-man Henkel (stupid marketing, costco and most department stores have one man henckel international). Two is better than one. No issue with them.

Victorinox are great for the money, I have a 14" scimitar that is a joy to use.

If you don't mind sliding down the appearance scale to save money, IVO from portugal are great. Igloo food equipment carries them and the importer is on weston road. If he's in a good mood, importer will sell you knives at a great price. I picked up a handful of 12" serrated from him (gifted one to every house i visit often). My wife was concerned with the size at first but it's easy to use and one of her favorites.

Most knife sets from any manufacturer give blades that are too small in the quest for higher count for less money. 10" chef, 10"+ bread knife and a paring knife gets 95% of the work done. I'd rather have those three than a set of 8 that are all too small and a pain in my ass.

Ontario Knife Company "Old Hickory" I bought for my mother for Christmas years ago. They were a supplier of bayonets and survival knives for the US Armed Forces. Finally needed sharpening for it's first time a couple of years ago.

Have some Cutco from when an itinerant sales woman joined our church for a few months. They're not bad, but not worth the price. You have to box them and ship them back for sharpening as far as I know, so we've never done it. Have some more recent and better Henkels that went on sale at the local kitchen store. I've heard that it's best to not put them through the dishwasher.

I would never support an MLM, so cutco is definitely out.

I absolutely love cooking, and do it all in my household. I bought a Japanese Nikiri style knife from SHARP Knife Shop, online. I really really wish I would have done this much sooner. I love the feel of the handle, and the blade has stayed sharper far longer than any other knife I've had. For me, the Japanese style is much more comfortable than a German style.

I always bought cheaper knives. Walmart, Canadian tire etc.
They work well for my needs, always hand wash and dry. Last set lasted 10+ years without issue.

Back
Top Bottom