Kids Sporting Activities | Page 8 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Kids Sporting Activities

other tip for teaching kids to skate is use hocket tape or duct tape and tape up the ankles so there is less side to side wobble in the boot. the more rigid when they are learning keeps them mostly pointed the right way
Modern skates offer plenty of support when properly fitted, -- tape is neither required or recommended. To be a proficient skater, one needs to develop considerable strength and flexibility in their ankles.

If your kids are learning to skate for recreational enjoyment or to play hockey, start at a hockey school, or in lessons taught for hockey players -- never at CanSkate. I've taught plenty of beginners to skate -- my worst nightmares are always learners that started with figure skating instructors, or at a 'CanSkate' program.

Modern skates offer plenty of support when properly fitted, -- tape is neither required or recommended. To be a proficient skater, one needs to develop considerable strength and flexibility in their ankles.

If your kids are learning to skate for recreational enjoyment or to play hockey, start at a hockey school, or in lessons taught for hockey players -- never at CanSkate. I've taught plenty of beginners to skate -- my worst nightmares are always learners that started with figure skating instructors, or at a 'CanSkate' program.
We put a kid in Canskate. Waste of time. On the upside, they taught them so little that they didn't develop bad habits. Next kid is learning at NTR. We'll see how that goes. I am not good enough to teach them much and with my leg, skates right now are torture. Kid doesn't have enough time on skates yet to start in a hockey program. Apparently local Ringette league learn to skate is awesome. We'll see how NTR goes.

We put a kid in Canskate. Waste of time. On the upside, they taught them so little that they didn't develop bad habits. Next kid is learning at NTR. We'll see how that goes. I am not good enough to teach them much and with my leg, skates right now are torture. Kid doesn't have enough time on skates yet to start in a hockey program. Apparently local Ringette league learn to skate is awesome. We'll see how NTR goes.
CanSkate is taught by figure skating coaches, most of which don't skate all that well unless they are on figure skates. That's cool if you're limiting skating to figures, but if you want to recreationally skate or play hockey, you need to learn more fundamentals. There used to be a lot of hockey players that went to ice dancing lessons to improve their skating -- didn't work out for any of the players I know -- I don't think any serious hockey players do it these days.

I probably have a jaded opinion from my years as a skating instructor. I can't count the number of young hockey players I helped exorcise the bob cycle out of their stride.

NTR in Newmarket and RH are both good. Can't speak for other locations. Ringette and girl's hockey coaches are usually good instructors, I think in part because young girl athletes are much better at following instructions and more willing to do progressions and reps on an orderly manner (better than boys). It makes it easier for those coaches to see deficits and get on them quickly.

Fingers crossed that we get enough snow for my kids' ski lessons in the next 2 weeks.

I love holiday "ski camp" but it's always a gamble in ontario

Fingers crossed that we get enough snow for my kids' ski lessons in the next 2 weeks.

I love holiday "ski camp" but it's always a gamble in ontario
Where are they going? MSLM has been open for almost a month. Everything else near barrie has been open for a week or more.

Where are they going? MSLM has been open for almost a month. Everything else near barrie has been open for a week or more.
my youngest is just learning so we went with something more local, glen eden. the 1.5h drive might be a bit much for him, each way lol

I grew up at Glen Eden and taught there for a while , it’s close to the gta . The attraction ends there. But you can teach a kid to ski , and be gone weeknights by 10

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Glen Eden was supposed to open for season passes holders today and tomorrow, then open to everyone on Monday. The storm that's coming in changed their plans so it's open to everyone on Monday (closed today and tomorrow).

I grew up at Glen Eden and taught there for a while , it’s close to the gta . The attraction ends there. But you can teach a kid to ski , and be gone weeknights by 10

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com
Exactly, it serves its purpose. Don't need to drive 2.5 hours total to freeze my @ss on the mountain watching him.

It was kinda nice this morning, 0 traffic right when its supposed to be rush hour. Gotta love the holiday season.

Back
Top Bottom