KIA engine recall - Fuel/oil leakage inspection . | GTAMotorcycle.com

KIA engine recall - Fuel/oil leakage inspection .

pfbmgd

Does anyone know if this recall requires the removal of spark plugs ?

Not that recall, but I’ve got lifetime engine warranty on my 2017 sportage.

What engine are you referring to?
Does anyone know if this recall requires the removal of spark plugs ?

Not that recall, but I’ve got lifetime engine warranty on my 2017 sportage.

What engine are you referring to?
Kia Soul 2014. I think its the 2 liter engine .

Kia Soul 2014. I think its the 2 liter engine .
there was a recall on the 2.4l n/a, had it done on my optima. as i recall it was inspection and oil change. i don't recall them pulling the plugs, if its the same recall.

They must be checking to see if there’s cylinder damage or an injector leaking down.

What’s going on with the car?

They must be checking to see if there’s cylinder damage or an injector leaking down.

What’s going on with the car?
I was running just fine . My mom got a recall notice . She made an appointment for the recall. She got a phone call saying the plugs need to be replaced and some sort of " carbon " service to be done . The carbon service was $300 . The car has only has 83K on it . I went in to see the dealer . To see what they want $500 bucks for the service . When I went to see the service advisor . He called the mechanic . He showed up with the 4 plugs in his hand . He showed me the plugs that looked maybe running a bit hot . I agreed to replace the plugs since they were already out . But I said no thanks to the carbon service . The only reason I agreed to the plugs . I didn't want the mechanic to do something to the car . My mom is up there in age . I think they were just trying to take advantage of her . If the plugs did not need to be pulled . I'm going to ask why they were pulled in the first place . No one gave them permission to take them out .

I was running just fine . My mom got a recall notice . She made an appointment for the recall. She got a phone call saying the plugs need to be replaced and some sort of " carbon " service to be done . The carbon service was $300 . The car has only has 83K on it . I went in to see the dealer . To see what they want $500 bucks for the service . When I went to see the service advisor . He called the mechanic . He showed up with the 4 plugs in his hand . He showed me the plugs that looked maybe running a bit hot . I agreed to replace the plugs since they were already out . But I said no thanks to the carbon service . The only reason I agreed to the plugs . I didn't want the mechanic to do something to the car . My mom is up there in age . I think they were just trying to take advantage of her . If the plugs did not need to be pulled . I'm going to ask why they were pulled in the first place . No one gave them permission to take them out .
Afaik, most of the moderns Kia/Hyundai are direct injection. Without fuel flowing through the intake, the back of the valves get coated in carbon from EGR and need cleaned occasionally. If it gets bad you get a bunch of misfires. It is annoying and time consuming to clean the valves. I've never heard of a fluid treatment that worked well. $300 for physical cleaning seems very low, $300 for a mystery chemical that doesn't do much is high.

^
Same issue with the AUDI / VW 2.0T EA888

Carbon cleaning $$$$$$

My mechanic has also seen these with the chain blowing up at about 140k

Afaik, most of the moderns Kia/Hyundai are direct injection. Without fuel flowing through the intake, the back of the valves get coated in carbon from EGR and need cleaned occasionally. If it gets bad you get a bunch of misfires. It is annoying and time consuming to clean the valves. I've never heard of a fluid treatment that worked well. $300 for physical cleaning seems very low, $300 for a mystery chemical that doesn't do much is high.

Yup!
I believe most direct injection vehicles need this to be done.
Vw, Subaru's etc.
My cousin had to get his GTI walnut blasted to get rid of the caked on carbon buildup after 120,000kms.
He later installed a catch can...seems to help a bit as he keeps having to dump a bit of oil from it every oil change.

Few brands still use port injection....Toyota uses a combination of the two, from what I last heard.

Yup!
Vw, Subaru's etc.
My cousin had to get his GTI walnut blasted to get rid of the caked on carbon buildup after 120,000kms.
He later installed a catch can...seems to help a bit as he keeps having to dump a bit of oil from it every oil change.

Few brands still use port injection....Toyota uses a combination of the two, from what I last heard.
VW Europe uses MPI plus DI. They could get away with just DI for NA emissions. European engines don't need the valves cleaned. You can retrofit but unless you need the extra fuel to make big power, cleaning valves is cheaper.

Yup!
Vw, Subaru's etc.

Walnut blasting was a thing back in the 80's and 90's for Volvo.

There is a new carbon cleaner kit being shipped to Honda dealers this month, will try to find out more info on it.

3M sells this kit...but I doubt it will be as effective as media blasting:

60455069215_400_01_01.jpg

I wonder why they dont come from factory - saves a lot of headache down the line..
Because they are a pain now. They trap a lot of water and if you dont drain them often in the winter they can freeze and burst. Doesnt 100% fix the problem either. Still need cleaning just at a longer interval.

My suspicion is the simplest way to improve the issue is a single injector in the intake manifold to keep the buildup from happening. Not sure on the effect on emissions. Costs more than zero and hurts service dept revenue so I dont see anyone doing that any time soon.

I can confirm that Toyota has a different approach to the GDI carbon build up issues other manufacturers are having. I own a 2020 RAV Hybrid with the 2.5 l 4 cylinder engine. That engine has both GDI direct injection and an additional injector prior to the intake valve (regular port injection). This should take care of any carbon build up concerns on the intake valve.
For some reason GDI engines with turbos seem to have it worse or the effects of the carbon buildup are more noticeable.

If spark plug removal was necessary as a part of the recall, then the associated inspection and replacement if necessary would be part of the recall service. You brought the car in for recall work. Anything else beyond that, tell them to pound sand, unless it's reasonable, and $200 to change spark plugs is not reasonable.

what gas is she using?

I only use Shell Nitro premium in my vehicles. all over 100k on the clock, one with 300k, and one with 500k

I've never spent a dime on any kind of injector cleaning or premature spark plugs clean/replace (outside of regular service intervals) in all my years of owning these vehicles.

Back
Top Bottom