Ken's Motoworks' Thoughts on Ducati | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ken's Motoworks' Thoughts on Ducati

And if the tire is damaged and the tread wear of the other 3 is more than 5% you have to replace all 4.
On my beater Buick I went into CTC to get a flat tire replaced.
The service writer said 'I'm sorry, we can't do that, we have to replace all four."
My reply was, "Just do what I ask or drop it down off the hoist. I'll sign any disclaimer that you like."
They replaced it, I paid and left. Don't try to upsell a cheap O.G.

And if the tire is damaged and the tread wear of the other 3 is more than 5% you have to replace all 4.
I'm having a hard time with this one...plenty times I've seen (and done) replaced a wheel or two where the others were worn beyond 5% with no issues.

Hell my only real 'rule' is if a wheel blows out and is unusable...just replace both on that axle.

I'm having a hard time with this one...plenty times I've seen (and done) replaced a wheel or two where the others were worn beyond 5% with no issues.

Hell my only real 'rule' is if a wheel blows out and is unusable...just replace both on that axle.
5% difference not 5% total. The less drive wheels you have, the more flexible that guideline is as an undriven wheel can be substantially different with few issues.

Significant differences in tire rolling diameter can mess up ABS and stability-control systems, so the tire-wear thing is understandable although they probably err considerably on the safe side. Affects some newer bikes, too. My beast came with a 200/55 rear tire, which is an odd size. It was unhappy about 200/50, but okay with 190/55 which is what's on there now.

I've always considered AWD to mean full-time and 4WD to mean on demand.
Oy, need more popcorn. Unless it has a transfer case with low range, I don't consider it 4wd. Most awd cars are somewhat on demand (parts spinning but no power transfer until required). I think subaru may be one of the few that leaves everything permanently connected (mostly for marketing imo). Even quattro requires wheel speed differential to start power transfer.

Cracked a rim on our old Jaguar XJS , four really nice aftermarket’s cheaper than the OEM . Tires were ok , rim cracked on pothole .

Re:$75k Audi , the Jag off the lot was $126 , 6 yrs later I paid the original owner 28k with 22,000 kms , after 3 yrs and one stupid head gasket ( aluminum block) and 4 rims I sold it for 21k and 39kms on it . It was also my last Jag .
In my infinite wisdom I bought a Range Rover …… that’s better , rear wiper assembly was 2k ,

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

I've always considered AWD to mean full-time and 4WD to mean on demand.

VW's Syncro is a viscous on demand system.

VW's Syncro is a viscous on demand system.
I don't understand the point you are trying to make. Syncro is on-demand and awd?

Also, how old are you? Syncro hasn't been on a new vehicle for 20 years. 4motion(haldex) started about 15 years ago. Similar concept (no user control, always armed), far different implementation. It looks like syncro was possible to manually disarm but in practice was sold without this feature and was awd all the time.

wifes BMX Xdrive has variable torque between front and rear axles based on electrical senosrs that manage slip. Its proven very good in snow, but not more so than my Ford advanced Bronco sport with the Goat mode and lockable transaxles. For that day that will never come when I'm assending a 40% grade on scree.

Back to a happy Ducati story , my trickle charger broke , because I dropped it on cement. A new Ducati branded trickle charger , with smart charge and a wall bracket ( and a red sticker) was $69.00 . Take that CTC .

I have a 2015 Toyota tacoma 4X4 which has been exceptionally reliable.

A month ago the check engine light came on and the traction control system shut off.

The code indicated a knock sensor reading. According to Toyota it would have been a 22 hr. (!!!!!!!!!!!!!) shop visit involving removal of the heads, etc. +++++. Thanks but...NO!

My usual mechanic said he's NEVER seen a valid knock issue in a Toyota but has seen A LOT of rodent damage, particularly This year.

He was right. A good sized chipmunk nest with the soy covered wires chewed through in the V below the fuel injection etc. Cost me $1000.

Then it happened again a WEEK later. The truck was driven every day of that 7. I watched 4 different videos about fixing it, but in the end the mechanic gave me a break on the 2nd repair so I didn't end up doing it myself. It would have taken me 6+ hrs.

I have now began trapping the little b#tards, I've got every imaginable poison strewn around the barn/shop nearest the house, I sprayed the engine and wheel wells with 2 different cans of critter repellent, I've spread a mixture of black/white & cayene pepper mixed with a light oil and sand around where I park, I've packed all the cervices with a steel wool like barrier product and I've installed metal screening on the air intake for both the air cleaner (which had been chewed to crap) and the cabin intake.

And finally, I've hung 2 tea balls with cotton soaked in peppermint oil from the fire wall and liberally sprayed peppermint oil at the back of the engine and air intakes.

My truck smells like a package of half-sucked tick tacs.

I have a 2015 Toyota tacoma 4X4 which has been exceptionally reliable.

A month ago the check engine light came on and the traction control system shut off.

The code indicated a knock sensor reading. According to Toyota it would have been a 22 hr. (!!!!!!!!!!!!!) shop visit involving removal of the heads, etc. +++++. Thanks but...NO!

My usual mechanic said he's NEVER seen a valid knock issue in a Toyota but has seen A LOT of rodent damage, particularly This year.

He was right. A good sized chipmunk nest with the soy covered wires chewed through in the V below the fuel injection etc. Cost me $1000.

Then it happened again a WEEK later. The truck was driven every day of that 7. I watched 4 different videos about fixing it, but in the end the mechanic gave me a break on the 2nd repair so I didn't end up doing it myself. It would have taken me 6+ hrs.

I have now began trapping the little b#tards, I've got every imaginable poison strewn around the barn/shop nearest the house, I sprayed the engine and wheel wells with 2 different cans of critter repellent, I've spread a mixture of black/white & cayene pepper mixed with a light oil and sand around where I park, I've packed all the cervices with a steel wool like barrier product and I've installed metal screening on the air intake for both the air cleaner (which had been chewed to crap) and the cabin intake.

And finally, I've hung 2 tea balls with cotton soaked in peppermint oil from the fire wall and liberally sprayed peppermint oil at the back of the engine and air intakes.

My truck smells like a package of half-sucked tick tacs.
Get a barn cat. We have a house cat that loves to hunt. I let him walk through the garage and shed pretty much daily. Just the scent of him has kept my garages rodent-free in two houses now.

Also, how old are you?

Old enough to have owned a VW with Syncro.

AIL4fc8V1Tmor1qY4oWx9bm4H7136zGEL4jDnqgYvhJja8l657g4Izwix8ZKJcwC2nf3ZpXeKUzQFkzlB1TrxFrxHlImM55rmOFCDl_XzNWCfbLrVCUhHhM2SgH3eLKClCmJmqrs4gDIMhTYpXXVDtvLmdej=w1397-h931-s-no

Back
Top Bottom