Keep it quiet in Quebec! ... Quebec testing exhaust systems on motorcycles, mopeds | GTAMotorcycle.com

Keep it quiet in Quebec! ... Quebec testing exhaust systems on motorcycles, mopeds

SLaP

Site Supporter
http://saaq.gouv.qc.ca/en/road_safety/vehicles/pilot_projects/sound_level_meter/index.php

[h=2]Measurement with a Sound Level Meter of the Noise Generated by Motorcycles, Mopeds and Motorized Scooters[/h] Excessive noise from exhaust systems on motorcycles, mopeds and motorized scooters can be a source of distraction for road users and disturb the peace and tranquility of residents.
The Highway Safety Code provides for maximum sound levels for road vehicles. However, they are not always easy to apply given the rapid rate of technological progress with regard to exhaust systems. Some of the new systems, while they meet federal standards, can be noisier than the system originally installed on a motorcycle, moped or motorized scooter and can therefore be in violation of the Highway Safety Code. In order to improve the situation, a pilot project has been implemented.
[h=3]Pilot Project[/h] For approximately three years starting in spring 2013, several police forces will use sound level meters to measure motorcycle, moped and motorized scooter exhaust sound levels.
The purpose of the pilot project is to:
  • gather information on application of the new measurement method in order to improve it, if necessary;
  • check the validity of control parameters according to this new method, before amending legislation and regulations.
[h=3]Measurement method[/h] Measurement of the exhaust system sound level is performed with sound level meters provided by the SAAQ and used by peace officers who have received the required training.
This new method was developed by the SAAQ, the Ministère des Transports and a Université Laval researcher. The method is based on the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) J2825 standard and adapted to make its implementation easier and ensure reliability.
[h=3]In the event of an offence[/h] The exhaust system sound level must not exceed an established threshold based on Transport Canada manufacturing standards.

• Owners of a vehicle that does not meet these standards are liable to a $100 to $200 fine.
  • Drivers who refuse to cooperate in measuring the sound level are liable to a $200 to $300 fine.
[h=3]Everyone’s cooperation is required[/h] Even with a compliant vehicle, motorcyclists and moped operators must be respectful of others and avoid excessive and disruptive noise levels. Thank you for making your vehicle quieter!

Keep it quiet in Quebec! ... Quebec testing exhaust systems on motorcycles, mop

Good initiative, I'm weary of this loud pipes saving lives and creating deafness belief system.

I understand most mc accidents happen from the front not the rear.

Excessive exhaust noise is directed at the rear.

Re: Keep it quiet in Quebec! ... Quebec testing exhaust systems on motorcycles, mop

I have a stock exhaust on my bike and I don't have an issue with anyone using an aftermarket exhaust if they chose to for their bikes. But what I don't understand is why everyone (Municipalities)are only focusing their attention on bikes. What about all these half azz ricer want a be cars with fart cans on their cars that cost more the than the vehicle itself. In my neighbourhood all I see - hear all day long is crappy Civics -Neons etc. that can't accelerate worth crap. But sound like a million bees passing by. I could never understand the fascination with spending money on muffler for crappy car to begin with. Why aren't they testing them for noise? Bikes make up less than 1% of vehicles on the road , yet they seem to go after bikes aggressively.

Re: Keep it quiet in Quebec! ... Quebec testing exhaust systems on motorcycles, mop

I have a stock exhaust on my bike and I don't have an issue with anyone using an aftermarket exhaust if they chose to for their bikes. But what I don't understand is why everyone (Municipalities)are only focusing their attention on bikes. What about all these half azz ricer want a be cars with fart cans on their cars that cost more the than the vehicle itself. In my neighbourhood all I see - hear all day long is crappy Civics -Neons etc. that can't accelerate worth crap. But sound like a million bees passing by. I could never understand the fascination with spending money on muffler for crappy car to begin with. Why aren't they testing them for noise? Bikes make up less than 1% of vehicles on the road , yet they seem to go after bikes aggressively.

They do get ticketed. There are way less ricer cars now with a muffler than what it used to.

My bike is fairly loud, but no where even close to a Harley or chopper.

They do pull over cars for "Improper muffler" and noise violations.

I haven't noticed a reduction lately in my area. Now I'm starting to see regular family cars with these stupid cans installed.

I haven't noticed a reduction lately in my area. Now I'm starting to see regular family cars with these stupid cans installed.
The ricers are growing up, having kids lol.

My question with all these is what happens if a bike (or whatever vehicle) some fails with a stock exhaust? Is there a way to get the ticket thrown out assuming the exhaust system is in good working order?

My question with all these is what happens if a bike (or whatever vehicle) some fails with a stock exhaust? Is there a way to get the ticket thrown out assuming the exhaust system is in good working order?

A stock exhaust system (that is not rusted out internally and that has not been tampered with) will pass SAE J2825 - there are no known exceptions, and a lot of different bikes have been tested.

There is a fairly decent margin between the EPA, Transport Canada, and ECE test procedures that the original vehicle manufacturers have to build to, and SAE J2825, which is meant to be easier to test by the roadside.

Measurement with a Sound Level Meter of the Noise Generated by Motorcycles, Mopeds and Motorized Scooters

Excessive noise from exhaust systems on motorcycles, mopeds and motorized scooters can be a source of distraction for road users and disturb the peace and tranquility of residents.

I think the appropriate word there would be attention. The beautiful sound coming out of the aftermarket pipe draws attention to the motorcyclist especially in city driving awakening cagers and helping them pay attention to their surroundings.

I think the appropriate word there would be attention. The beautiful sound coming out of the aftermarket pipe draws attention to the motorcyclist especially in city driving awakening cagers and helping them pay attention to their surroundings.

The annoying *** drag pipes on harleys and things that shake shop windows while driving by at 3k rpm are far from attention. Anything that excessive no matter the type should NOT be on the street. Period. They passed a noise law similar to this in Caledon thanks to all who feel the need to hit Belfountain and drive the locals nuts. Cagers notice my stock pipe. While I am going to install an aftermarket version it will have baffles and still conform to proper noise levels. Wide open crap belongs on a track.

A stock exhaust system (that is not rusted out internally and that has not been tampered with) will pass SAE J2825 - there are no known exceptions, and a lot of different bikes have been tested.

There is a fairly decent margin between the EPA, Transport Canada, and ECE test procedures that the original vehicle manufacturers have to build to, and SAE J2825, which is meant to be easier to test by the roadside.

I heard the new Ducati Panig-whatcha-macallit is very very loud stock.

I would love a quiet exhaust, but I am too cheap. If it annoys someone that much I accept donations for a new exhaust.

Ridiculously loud. Could not even hear what the guy at the dealership was saying while it was running. I could only imagine what an aftermarket exhaust would to do it.

Wide open crap belongs on a track.

Given that a good many tracks have their own noise regulations ... wide open crap doesn't even belong there!

It's difficult to pass Mont-Tremblant's test with anything but a stock exhaust on many bikes. My Hindle passed but that's on a 400cc 4 cylinder bike and with an extra baffle installed and with the exhaust tip pointed skyward.

Perhaps, but the J2825 test speed for that engine is only 2000 rpm. The J2825 test pre-dated production of the Ducati Pengale (so I don't know if anyone has tested that bike and publicized the result) but given that that bike has to pass all of the OEM EPA and ECE test procedures, it's extremely likely that it would pass J2825. Perhaps by a slimmer margin than some other bikes ... but pass nevertheless. Keep in mind that certain frequencies seem louder than others at the same sound pressure level, and careful engineering can make use of this ...

My 2004 ZX10R has a muffler that's pretty loud for a stock bike, and it's tested at 5000 rpm, but it still passes by 5 dB, which is a wide margin due to the logarithmic scale involved. At idle, it passes by a comparatively enormous margin.

Ridiculously loud. Could not even hear what the guy at the dealership was saying while it was running. I could only imagine what an aftermarket exhaust would to do it.

Bhahaha!! That's amazing.

I read a Bike Mag where it failed the noise regulations at a Race Track.

LOL

this is stupid.... they need to focus their time and money on more important issues rather than telling people their pipes are too loud.
really, how long are you driving next to a bike for anyway? i hear bikes pass my house at night all the time, doesnt bother me, its not like they are sitting in my driveway reving the S#$% out of it. maybe my street is more tolerable to vehicles, out of respect i asked a few neighbors if my pipes bothered them.. they shrugged and said "its a bike, its suppose to be like that"

and i still think SS bikes exhausts are higher DB than a harleys pipes. i had V&H short shots with standard baffles on my harley.. it was crazy loud, and ive got a akra on my cbr with the quiet baffle out (because it sounded like stock with it in....) the cbr attracts more attention, its the pitch of the exhaust.

Back
Top Bottom