Kayaba fork cap removal | GTAMotorcycle.com

Kayaba fork cap removal

TK4

Went to change the fork oil on my antique Yamaha 920 project bike.
It has the Kayaba forks with the stupid spring clip holding the caps in.
After about an hour of trying to push down the centre of the cap with a big socket I gave up. Any hints ?

Not really sure what part you refer to and others might be thinking the same. Any chance you can post a pic of the part or a parts manual reference?

Not really sure what part you refer to and others might be thinking the same. Any chance you can post a pic of the part or a parts manual reference?

Part 16-39 is a circlip that fits in a groove on top of the fork cap.

Attachments

• forks.gif
    forks.gif
    51.7 KB · Views: 22
Part 16-39 is a circlip that fits in a groove on top of the fork cap.
That's what I was expecting. Is it one of the incredibly annoying rings without holes or you don't have snapring pliers or you can't see it? What's the issue.

Closest I could find was a service manual for the XV535 that appears to have a similar setup, but the service manual is useless for showing that part being removed. Pictures just show it as a simple semi-circle piece of round wire.

Not easy!

1) Drop the forks until the top edges are below with the top part of the triple. Clamp her in.
2) Get a 1/2" threaded rod or long bolt, 1/2" nut, and a plate or washer that is larger diameter than the fork tube.
3) Feed the rod down thru the top clamp, slide on the washer, then the nut. Wind the nut until it gently presses on the fork cap and the circlip will pop out.

Last edited:
Before you ask, the bottom 6mm drain bolt is also a pain. It runs into the damper which is free spinning inside the fork tube. If you have air impact wrench, you might be able to bust it out. If not, lock a large wooden dowel into a vice, slide the tube over and slide the axle back thru the fork. Then using a ratchet strap, load the fork by looping the strap around each side if the axle and the back of the vice. Turn the ratchet and it should come out.

Now is a good time to do the fork seals ($20), also recommend adding gaiters ($30).

Not easy!

1) Drop the forks until the top edges are below with the top part of the triple. Clamp her in.
2) Get a 1/2" threaded rod or long bolt, 1/2" nut, and a plate or washer that is larger diameter than the fork tube.
3) Feed the rod down thru the top clamp, slide on the washer, then the nut. Wind the nut until it gently presses on the fork cap and the circlip will pop out.

Thanks Mike, I'll try that.

Before you ask, the bottom 6mm drain bolt is also a pain. It runs into the damper which is free spinning inside the fork tube. If you have air impact wrench, you might be able to bust it out. If not, lock a large wooden dowel into a vice, slide the tube over and slide the axle back thru the fork. Then using a ratchet strap, load the fork by looping the strap around each side if the axle and the back of the vice. Turn the ratchet and it should come out.

Now is a good time to do the fork seals ($20), also recommend adding gaiters ($30).

Thanks Mike - seals are fine, but gaiters are indeed a good idea.

If the forks are still in the triples use a two/three leg puller
That will work too. Same concept except you have the added task of re & re handlebars and gauges.

Came up with an easier solution. After getting the tiny drain screws out of the lower fork legs (replace with new every time), and draining completely I pulled the Schrader valves out of the fork caps, took a chunk of gas hose and an old plastic bottle with a tapered tip and filled that way.
Gawd help me if I ever do have to take the caps off, they're seized solid.

soak them with penetrating oil. When they are on the bike...use a socket and tap on the cap with a soft blow hammer. It will break the the clip free.

Reactions: TK4
I use a 3/8" extension to press down the cap and release the tension and scoop the circlip out. it helps it you have an implement to hold the inner fork tube in a vise, but it can be done "free hand" by pulling upwards on the inner tube while pushing down on the cap.

Reactions: TK4
I use a 3/8" extension to press down the cap and release the tension and scoop the circlip out. it helps it you have an implement to hold the inner fork tube in a vise, but it can be done "free hand" by pulling upwards on the inner tube while pushing down on the cap.

In this instance the clips were rusted solidly in place. The next time I have to put in fork seals I'll get them out.

Back
Top Bottom