Justin Time | Page 21 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Justin Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Non-gun owner Toronto lawyer's opinion on the OIC ban.

Compare the number of mass shootings in the USA (normalise for population if you wish) to that of ANY other country in the developed world, and ask yourself why. The less we make ourselves like the USA in this regard, the better.
You're confused about your geographic location. We may not be part of the union. We may not have revolted against the crown 245 years ago. But we share the same continent, the same origin, and very similar culture. Canada is a nation state, in America. People like to use the "we're not American" statement a lot. Yes, we are. American continent, American culture, American media, American way of life. People come here for that, from all of those places. It's supposed to be America-lite here, freedom and jobs but with "free" healthcare. People like to tell me "if you want freedom go to America" Bud, I'm in America, if you want a police state, go somewhere else, almost anywhere else. The more rules and restrictions you want, just go further east, the redder the flag gets, you'll find it better to your liking.

How much is attitude and how much is access? It's probably a combination.

There is a good facebook post by a hunter that argues that realistically, eliminating all semi-autos and potentially even all centre-fire rifles would not harm hunting. With shotgun/black powder/rimfire he could take anything in Canada. Obviously shooting bigger guns is fun and I think the ban is a bad idea for many reasons, but many of the people arguing against the ban are making really dumb arguments that fall apart with even minor investigation. That makes them look like gun-crazy nuts that aren't smart enough to possess any firearms. Hell, some of my brothers idiot friends have started citing the magna carta like the muricans cite the 2nd amendment.
For many people, it's not about the gun itself.

I wonder what third on the scene is like where CCW “good guy with gun” scenarios play out.

I wonder what third on the scene is like where CCW “good guy with gun” scenarios play out.
Assuming 3rd guy in is not law enforcement, stay the f out. If 3rd guy in isnlaw enforcement, the good guy should be dropping his gun (which may mean both drop and point the finger, but that's even better).

I'd say an open poll is more honest and trustworthy than a directed one.

Uh, no. An "open" poll is very subject to self-selection bias. I don't know what you mean by a "directed" poll, but anything other than completely random selection has the possibility of biased results. There is a reason why true surveys are done by professional companies that specialize I doing this, and they ask multiple questions on an assortment of topics.

Uh, no. An "open" poll is very subject to self-selection bias. I don't know what you mean by a "directed" poll, but anything other than completely random selection has the possibility of biased results. There is a reason why true surveys are done by professional companies that specialize I doing this, and they ask multiple questions on an assortment of topics.
Don't even bother. You cannot explain it to them.

“it’s not about the lie so much as distracting from the truth until everyone loses interest

I'm thinking what segment of of folks in this day and age are willing to answer the phone and say "sure I have time to take your survey "

Are you familiar with the term "echo chamber"? It's how CBC and global come up with their 80% approval rating poll results.

Are you familiar with the term "echo chamber"? It's how CBC and global come up with their 80% approval rating poll results.

I'd really love if you took your time and explained how when someone GETS a phone call they can be part of an echo chamber....but when a poll is open and online....it is more reliable. Take your time and explain cause I'm dying here.

I have to give you credit cause you're a Trump level troll if you're being this obtuse on purpose. If not....then i stand by my don't bother explaining it cause you'll never understand.

Boaty Mcboatface comes to mind. Feel free to google it.....oh **** don't waste your time:

Well, they could be part of an echo chamber ... but with a decently large enough sample size, the statistical prevalence of that echo chamber in their sample should represent the statistical prevalence of that echo chamber in the general public as well.

And, the gun lobby is their own echo chamber ... and again, with a decently large enough sample size, the statistical prevalence of that echo chamber in their sample should represent the statistical prevalence in the general public.

A proper survey should explain the methodology and represent the sources and magnitude of statistical error in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom