just got into an accident, then found out my license is suspended | GTAMotorcycle.com

just got into an accident, then found out my license is suspended

spyder

I need to get your advice on my situation,I was riding downtown today and I got hit from the back, not the biggest fall as we were at about 20 kmph, the lady who hit me swears that she didn't but I have a few witnesses who said they saw her within an inch of me, and a huge scratch on the muffler which proves that she did, I've been riding for a few months and this is my first fall, I have a 2010 ninja 250 and am currently with jevco. Well my main problem is that when I got home (after staying at my girl friends place a for a few days I see a letter from the ministry, it says that my license is suspended for non payment of fine ( must have been an old ticket) I have 24 hours to file a claim, I need to know if I should file the claim or just let it go because it might get denied due to the suspended license. My ankle feels a little pain but that's about it, not sure if its worth it. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
File a claim, go see a doctor, pay your fine. I think this woman might give you a hard time.

I need to get your advice on my situation,I was riding downtown today and I got hit from the back, not the biggest fall as we were at about 20 kmph, the lady who hit me swears that she didn't but I have a few witnesses who said they saw her within an inch of me, and a huge scratch on the muffler which proves that she did, I've been riding for a few months and this is my first fall, I have a 2010 ninja 250 and am currently with jevco. Well my main problem is that when I got home (after staying at my girl friends place a for a few days I see a letter from the ministry, it says that my license is suspended for non payment of fine ( must have been an old ticket) I have 24 hours to file a claim, I need to know if I should file the claim or just let it go because it might get denied due to the suspended license. My ankle feels a little pain but that's about it, not sure if its worth it. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

File a claim, go see a doctor, pay your fine. I think this woman might give you a hard time.

I'm not sure about the claim if the OP isn't hurt. See a doctor yes, but don't those stupid license suspension letters take effect the date they mail the letter, not the date you receive it? Insurance likes a police report.

Personally I wouldn't risk the driving on a suspended license charge for a little cosmetic damage on the bike. If I thought I was going to need extensive medical care, then of course insurance is the way to go.

OP, glad you are ok. You could always call and ask your insurance broker what whould hypothetically happen in this situation.

Your insurance will still be valid until the next payment would normally be made to your policy.

For example you pay your policy on the 25th of each month.
You receive the letter for suspended license on the 15th, but it was issued the 10th (it'll say at the top, i've had these before).
If you get into an accident before the 25th of the month, your insurance is technically still valid and covers you.
Now if there needs to be a police report, he will see your suspended license and that's a whole other issue to deal with.
You can try the "I didn't know, I haven't received the letter in the mail yet" because he will see that it was suspended just a few days ago and hopefully will be smart to realize that postal mail isn't instantaneous.

Get your foot checked out. I rolled my ankle really bad last year (non-motorcycle related) and it still bothers me from time to time today.

Oh and by the way, the next letter you will be getting shortly is from your insurance company and it will say "since your license is suspended, your policy will end on *date you normally would make a payment*).
It's gonna be a PITA to reactivate the policy because they will want first and last month and blablabla.

A couple points

1) If you're not at fault this is a DCPD claim (Direct Compensation Property Damage). Under this section of your insurance policy there is no exclusion for driving without a valid license. So, if you were not at fault the damages to your motorcycle will be covered. So will any expenses you incur for it's loss of use i.e. motorcycle rental, car rental, taxi charges....whatever

2) You may not have been aware your license was suspended. I won't bor you with the details but the MTO is somewhat lax on suspending licenses these days.

3) I know some wise guy is going to try and say your claim will be denied. It won't for the reason I noted above in point 1. And to any of the wise guys who think it would be (even on an at fault claim) I only ask that they understand the case law around imperfect versus non-compliance as it relates to license suspensions before they offer advice.

These stupid supension letteres are absurd I have received one before as well. They MAIL you a letter on the day they are going to suspend your licence that states you have until 5:00 pm on the day of the mailing to pay the fine or have your licence suspended and pay the administrative fine. There is no way to pay in time so they collect the extra fine as well. Go pay your fine tommorow and wait a week then pay the extra fee/fine and carry on. If you were not at fault make your claim as Donald ^^ says, he know this stuff better than most.

Back
Top Bottom