JAPAN travel | GTAMotorcycle.com

JAPAN travel

kawi101

hey guys was thinking of my next vacation to be japan for a month just starting to do some research, trip is planned for next year around june or so. Anyone been there and know any "must see" sights? im pretty adventerous so dont rule anything out. Got any tips feel free to share plz, also about the hotel accomodation runing on a tight budget so hostel's or anything cheap. i am pretty excited :eek: to go.

thanks in advance

Hi, I've been to Japan and did the economy travel thing too.

Hostels are a good choice, I think there is a website that lists all the hostels in Japan with the ratings and prices. Be aware that in Japan, they charge by the person, not by the room.

In Osaka, I stayed in a sports arena hostel. only a couple of years old at the time. Very modern, very open and very clean and western. You can't miss it on the website.

In Kyoto, I stayed in a traditional tatami hotel room. Was about $100 for two people. Not 5 star, but very clean and very Japanese.

Best thing to do when you arrive is before you step out of the airport, grab as many tourist brochures as possible from Greyhound, etc, and decide which ones you want to go to. We did that and ended up going on our own using the subway. Extremely convenient, easy, and more fun and adventurous.

Also, the first thing you should do is head straight for the atm machine and take out 10,000 yen. This should tide you over for a while. Most places still don't like travellers cheques or credit cards unless you are in a fancy place, but your post suggested otherwise, so cash is king.

We took an overnight bus to Kyoto from Tokyo, so that saved another night's stay at a hotel, but you feel like sht when you arrive. If you can deal with that, then you're okay.

To get to Osaka we took the train. Osaka has a good subway system, but Kyoto only has a bus system, which is probably at par with anything we have here.

In Tokyo, we had a friend who gave us access to a Buddhist dormitory which was empty, right in the heart of Tokyo, in a neighbourhood where they have semi detached homes with garages and front yards with children playing badminton. Kind of rich, but we had connections. I'm sure there are good hostels in Tokyo as well.

You can download the subway maps online from google. the Tokyo main station subway map on the wall is about 100 feet wide, and is quite intimidating, so get familiar with it first by studying it online. They charge by the station to station distance. You can also get a day pass as well. Again, plan your day and your routes.

Japan, especially Tokyo, can be really expensive, or it can be quite affordable, it just depends on where you go, what you eat, and what you do. Just like any city in the world, including here, you can spend big bucks or little bucks to have a good time. In fact a can of Coke was the cheapest beverage in the vending machines. They've got good night markets as well, and they have McDonalds there too, at the regular prices you'd find here.

The main stations in the subway are neighourhoods, so make sure you stop by each of them. There is one there that the emo and goth types and Elvis impersonators hang around. Makes a good tourist attraction. That is where there is a good night market as well.

one month sounds awesome. If you can it would be good to go to Hokaido, up north, but it is only good during certain times of the year.

The best advice I can give is to not go to any vacation destination without a reliable guidebook.

Those things have served me as priceless references in Chicago, Cuba, Panama, and Korea.

I was in Tokyo a couple weeks ago. Like someone else said, it is pretty expensive. My accomodations were corporate, so it's not the type of budget you're talking about.

I took the Shinkensei to Gifu. The train is a great way to travel and you can get multi-day passes. I found Gifu and the surrounding area to be very inexpensive for food and touristy things.

If you go a month earlier, you can see the Cherry Blossom festival. I hear it is amazing.

I had some good ideas for another site where I asked a similar question about travelling to Japan. I also posted a summary of my trip with some pics. http://www.gtasportriders.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=2443

Last edited:
The best advice I can give is to not go to any vacation destination without a reliable guidebook.

Those things have served me as priceless references in Chicago, Cuba, Panama, and Korea.

hmmmmm, i would personally have to say nada on that. You get to reliant on that and end up going to certain places and certain restaurants recommended in the guidle book, only to have to spend half the day hunting around for it when there are gazillions of other restaurants and attractions to see. But then that's just me.

I had the Fodor's Japan book and read it on the plane, but never really opened it up after that.

I just got in last night from my 3 week stint in Japan... and was it ever great.

If you like to see the real deal, spend some time outside of the cities. Tokyo and Osaka are cool, with Osaka having far less tourists. When I travel to foreign countries, I don't usually go to hang out with other tourists, I go to see life though the eyes of the countrymen.

K's hostel was by far the best hostel chain I have been to. ever. The one is Kyoto and Mt Fuji are fantastic, I would bet their locations in Osaka and Tokyo are also great.

Overall, I thought Japan was cheaper to stay and eat in when compared to most other destinations. It can get expensive easily if you start going to hostess bars and eating at the most expensive restaurants.

All that being said, it must have been around 3 g's (incl airfare) CAD for 18 days of madness. I will be posting up pics and a bit about the bike scene shortly.

If your riding while there, stay at the riders INN, spotted around the country. Good luck trying to look up locations tho. We stayed at one, it was perfect. A shower and a room to sleep in, and a table. Nothing more.

If you want to see the country side, ride through the mountains, eat with the locals, see the real temples that aren't flooded with tourists, stay in a place with no english (i hope your japanese is good ), go surfing, swim in the warm pacific ocean waters, go to the Island of Shikoku. Incredible.

Osaka: Go to the Namba district for shopping, eating and bars. Wander around and eat at places that have only japanese people there. Go bar hopping by starting at the top floor and working your way down the 6 or 7 stories.
See spa world. You will thank me later. Trust Me.
There is a nice indoor aquarium, cool place if you have the time.

Kyoto: Wasn't all it is hyped up to be, a place for "tourists" to cross of their lists. Not sure how anyone can zen out in the rock gardens with hundreds of tourists snapping photos and chatting idly in the backgroud. Probably some where you should go, but I didn't like the fact that it catered to tourists. Sort of removes the authenticity of the culture for me.

Mt Fuji: I stayed at the K's hostel near Mt. Fuji. It was the best hostel I have ever stayed at. Not much to do at night, but during the day you can go hiking, parasailing, fishing, cycling, etc.

There are a lot of tourists here, but for some reason the places we went too, we saw none of them. Most of them were european folks staying at resort type hotels around the lake.

Lots of traditional japanese restaurants here if you spend the time to look. I love eating where the locals go to eat and drinking where the locals like to drink.

Tokyo: Take Manhattan, NYC and multiply by 6 or so. Tokyo is huge, read up and decide what you want to do. There is the electronic/nerd district, red light district, shopping district, a motorcycle district, everything you can think of district. Look it up, or use a recently published travel book as reference.
Shinjuku: Red light district, clubs, girls, shopping
Harajuku: Go on sunday afternoon to see the harajuku girls. Google it.
Shibuya: Shibuya 109. Girls Girls Girls, that shop all day and are dressed to the nines.
Rappongi: Never made it there, but supposedly the girls look for foreign men at the clubs here.

Travelling, trains are probably the fastest between places, and the above ground and subway systems are impressive. A bit tough to navigate if you can't read or speak japanese like me.

A JR rail pass can be bought, google that one too. You CANNOT buy that pass once you are in Japan, so plan accordingly.

Finally, be prepared and take a phrase book. Or if you can, do like me and go with someone who can speak a bit of conversational japanese. Very few people can speak english fluently, but if you can look and point you will manage. Learning how use the number "counters" is helpful for ordering, and being polite and smiling will get you far with everyone.

Hope that helps. Japan is a fantastic place to visit!

If you want to see the country side, ride through the mountains, eat with the locals, see the real temples that aren't flooded with tourists, stay in a place with no english (i hope your japanese is good ), go surfing, swim in the warm pacific ocean waters, go to the Island of Shikoku. Incredible.

is this in osaka aswell??? thanks for the tips i will definately look up k's restaurant but the downside is my japanese is non existant so i will either try to find a japanese friend that will go with me or will have to rely on the translation book :rolleyes:.

well this was helpful.. I plan on heading there next year as well.. Thanks for the info :) Dave

is this in osaka aswell??? thanks for the tips i will definately look up k's restaurant but the downside is my japanese is non existant so i will either try to find a japanese friend that will go with me or will have to rely on the translation book :rolleyes:.

Shikoku is an island south and west of Osaka.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shikoku

About an hour or a bit more to get to the ferry to cross the waters and get there. It was kind of out of the way, but we went there to complete the 88 temple pilgramage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shikoku_Pilgrimage

We only managed 20 or so of the 88.

The translation book isn't too bad for ordering meals and asking for hotels, how much things cost etc., but if you get lost good luck understanding the directions.

I will be posting pics of my trip once I manage to stay awake for a while, I haven't gotten over the jet lag.

Shikoku is an island south and west of Osaka.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shikoku

About an hour or a bit more to get to the ferry to cross the waters and get there. It was kind of out of the way, but we went there to complete the 88 temple pilgramage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shikoku_Pilgrimage

We only managed 20 or so of the 88.

The translation book isn't too bad for ordering meals and asking for hotels, how much things cost etc., but if you get lost good luck understanding the directions.

I will be posting pics of my trip once I manage to stay awake for a while, I haven't gotten over the jet lag.

wow pics will be really helpfull if you dont mind me asking how much did u pay for your 3 week stay like in hotels and hostels and the food

I visited Japan 3 years ago and had a very nice experience there. I stayed there for 2weeks. I was
so happy to been there.
The that gave me immense pleasure is that there is no concept for the tip of labor. :)
Any restaurant, any motel or any hostel, everyone was quite nice and affordable.
regards

Back
Top Bottom