Italy pocket Wifi | GTAMotorcycle.com

Italy pocket Wifi

bakaboy

Old, Slow and Grumpy
Site Supporter
Heading to Italy for some vacation over the holidays.

Looking for pocket wifi service for the group of us.

Lots of options online for rental but they all want to mail it to you and you send back.

Really looking for an option for me to rent and physically take at Rome airport when I land and return it as I'm departing.

Can't find online a company that says they have a location at the airport.

Anyone been to Rome lately and can confirm there is an option at the physical airport?

Thanks

Heading to Italy for some vacation over the holidays.

Looking for pocket wifi service for the group of us.

Lots of options online for rental but they all want to mail it to you and you send back.

Really looking for an option for me to rent and physically take at Rome airport when I land and return it as I'm departing.

Can't find online a company that says they have a location at the airport.

Anyone been to Rome lately and can confirm there is an option at the physical airport?

Thanks

Here’s one I found and you can pick up at FCO Airport. Text says Terminal 2 Arrivals but picture shows Terminal 1.

expressowifi.com

fd8a054615aa2cb8137299685cd2c202.png

Last edited:
buy an unlocked portable wifi hotspot device now
get a sim card at the airport and stick a data plan on it

maybe I'm not reading this right
but it doesn't seem too complicated ??

edit: and you can do the same thing with a phone
as long is it's unlocked, grab a sim card at the airport
stick a data plan on it, turn on the hotspot

Last edited:
edit: and you can do the same thing with a phone
as long is it's unlocked, grab a sim card at the airport
stick a data plan on it, turn on the hotspot

Batteries drain pronto when the smartphone is used as a hotspot, especially connected over LTE.

One of the AirBnBs we stayed in had a portable hotspot as the in-house Internet connection. We took it out while sightseeing. It was great. Lasted the whole day.

Is roam like home or equivalent not an option? It's $10 a day from Rogers for Europe I think and you can use your data plan on the foreign networks. I take a nice high capacity lightweight battery bank with me to deal with the power drain issues. The European networks are plenty fast too...faster than some free wifi areas.

Is roam like home or equivalent not an option? It's $10 a day from Rogers for Europe I think and you can use your data plan on the foreign networks. I take a nice high capacity lightweight battery bank with me to deal with the power drain issues. The European networks are plenty fast too...faster than some free wifi areas.

Just got back from Japan and the $10 a day option was problematic.

And in Italy I won't be alone but likely feeding 5 people electronically.

One rental has internet. The VenicE / Florence rental does not.

Batteries drain pronto when the smartphone is used as a hotspot, especially connected over LTE.

One of the AirBnBs we stayed in had a portable hotspot as the in-house Internet connection. We took it out while sightseeing. It was great. Lasted the whole day.

W10 phone would easily last the whole trip.

Remember roaming is free within EU countries. If you can score a cheaper SIM from another country it would work in Italy.

Last edited:
OP, the cheapest option is if you have a reasonably good unlocked sim cell phone. Do you have that??

That option can be searched with google, etc with fairly good info.

I don't. That is why I was looking at other options.

Remember roaming is free within EU countries. If you can score a cheaper SIM from another country it would work in Italy.

Wow, that's brand new. We roamed all over Europe for over two years paying for a new SIM whenever we were staying longer in a single country. I have quite the collection of micro-SIMs.

I Googled and the free roaming thing came about June 15th 2017.

We left the EU late last year. :(

You are in luck. As of Dec 1 (two days ago) all carriers must unlock any phone upon request for $0 charge. Call your carrier and they will unlock it for you right then.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/crtc-wireless-code-cellphone-1.4161711

Depends if he has the right bands on his phone. I had a Rogers galaxy S6 in London a year ago and it worked just fine but if he's feeding 5 people a data plan might be eaten up pretty rapidly depending on what they do with it.

Back
Top Bottom