Is This Normal For All Dealers? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Is This Normal For All Dealers?

As long as they're insured and used their plate I would have no problem with it at only 3.2km. My insurance will not cover mechanics test rides, they made that perfectly clear to me. I suggest you check with your insurance company.

Last edited:
If the bike did get impounded on a test ride, that would be a good test of the dealers ability to make the best of a bad situation. Do they give you a loaner bike? Was your service free? I don't know the best way forward at that point. It happened, the bike is locked up, you would probably need to suggest a remedy that you felt was reasonable.

Shouldn't Italian bikes get an Italian tune up?

If the bike did get impounded on a test ride, that would be a good test of the dealers ability to make the best of a bad situation. Do they give you a loaner bike? Was your service free? I don't know the best way forward at that point. It happened, the bike is locked up, you would probably need to suggest a remedy that you felt was reasonable.
That would be fun. Your salty bike outside in a slushy muddy impound yard for a week.

To me this situation is not cool. I’ve had a lot of tire changes over the years, don’t recall ever having a mechanic road test a tire change, don’t recall ever bringing back a shaky tire after riding or driving.

I wonder if the dealer test fucks every bike they service... or just the pretty & fun ones?

To me this situation is not cool. I’ve had a lot of tire changes over the years, don’t recall ever having a mechanic road test a tire change, don’t recall ever bringing back a shaky tire after riding or driving.

I wonder if the dealer test fucks every bike they service... or just the pretty & fun ones?
Agree. The balance machine should get the balance correct, no need to actually have the bike going quickly. A short test ride to make sure things feel right followed by torque check on the important fasteners disturbed also makes sense to me. The time and distance seem fine, I don't think the speed was the best plan.

MM, they also played with the brakes. Not a bad plan to test drive after the brakes have been apart.

If you consider where the 4 Ontario Aprilia dealerships are located, a 3.2 km loop would mean they were doing:

96 over on Keele or Steeles if it was Corsa or Vos
76 over on Hwy 6 or 26 if it was Two Wheel or J&R

Plenty of industrial park roads around Vos and Corsa. You act like a tuono needs an airport runway to hit 156. Leave all the rider aids on and just whack the throttle. Roll off after 3 seconds and test the brakes.

I wasn't even thinking about how much room it needed to get to speed, just the fact that it wasn't like they were opening it up on a 400-series highway. That's a huge risk with a customer's bike in one of those zones. A lot can happen in the 5 seconds it takes to get to 160, and however long to slow down to a sane speed again. Even in an industrial park where people pulling out of driveways aren't expecting a missile to be coming their way.

MM, they also played with the brakes. Not a bad plan to test drive after the brakes have been apart.
Good point on the brakes, I suppose it doesn’t hurt to bed them in.

I don’t care if you are a bike mechanic, if you need a 155 street pass on my bike, please let me know ahead of time.

tires out of balance will be evident at far less than 156 kmh
brake test doesn't need that speed either

tech went for a joy ride
dealer principal replied with arrogant, condescending BS

this I'd guess is why they're trying to recruit a proper Service Manager
that jerk shouldn't be allowed to deal with customers

A now dead dealership in Milton , run by total dooshes, flipped a customers bike end over end on a test drive.
The service managers solution was try and have all tech sign an agreement they would cover costs of any accident.
The techs all left, and as most customers heard of the issues they left also.

tires out of balance will be evident at far less than 156 kmh
brake test doesn't need that speed either

tech went for a joy ride
dealer principal replied with arrogant, condescending BS

this I'd guess is why they're trying to recruit a proper Service Manager
that jerk shouldn't be allowed to deal with customers

You’ve hit the nail on the head.
The indifference is what blows my mind. I will just speak with my wallet and take my business elsewhere.

A now dead dealership in Milton , run by total dooshes, flipped a customers bike end over end on a test drive.
The service managers solution was try and have all tech sign an agreement they would cover costs of any accident.

Wow

Envy?

They damaged my front axle sliders. Looks like they tried to pry them off with something...tool marks all over both sides.
I won’t be back. I’d rather drive twice the distance and go to another Aprilia Dealer than deal with them again.
Even though this is only cosmetic, this would bother me more then a mechanic hooning it on my bike... as long as they aren't doing it on a stone cold motor.

Strictly hypothetical, because nobody else is allowed to touch my bikes

Back
Top Bottom