Is This Normal For All Dealers? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Is This Normal For All Dealers?

Katatonic

Site Supporter
I dropped my Tuono off at a dealer for a brake pad recall and new tires. When I dropped it off I reset the tripmeter, which keeps track of how long the engine has been run, kms ridden and max speed, among other things.
When I picked up the bike I was curious and checked the tripmeter. It had been run for 16 minutes, ridden 3.2 kms and max speed was showing 156km/h.
I emailed them last night and brought up a few issues:
1) I understand that service techs will test ride after completing work, but are those speeds needed?
2) What were to happen if my bike was impounded for a week for street racing? What happens if someone catches it on dashcam or reports my plate for dangerous driving or street racing to the Police?
3) Most importantly, with temperatures at or around 0 degrees, there was no way the motor was brought up to proper operating temp. What damage was potentially done by going WOT on a cold motor?

Here is part of the reply from the dealers owner. I have not changed or added anything, this is a direct copy/paste from their email:

“1. Is it necessary to test ride every bike after a tire installation or should we rely on the tire balancing machine. Test riding after each tire installation is time consuming and tends to make tire installation not profitable. At the present time our policy is to ride each one.

2. Should we test ride only up to the speed that is legal on our local roads - 80 kph? We really wrestle with this one since most bikes we sell and service will travel well in excess of any speed limit. Assumedly owners who buy powerful bikes will occasionally or perhaps frequently test the bikes limits. We feel that as the “experts” who service bikes capable of very high speeds, we would be irresponsible not to test the bikes at speeds in excess of speed limits. The speed at which your bike was ridden is about the limit we use. This practise does expose the technician to a degree of risk of speeding tickets, license suspension and even injury, but it seems like an unavoidable occupational hazard.

3. Does a test ride at higher speeds expose the bike owner to the legal issues that you mentioned. The technician did place our dealer plate on top of your license plate during the test ride, but I must confess that I don’t know the answer to the question. As a result of your concern, I am going to reach out to our insurance agent to try for clarification on the legal issues. I will share my findings with you if you like.

4. Engine warmup – the technician who worked on your bike is very experienced and is well aware of the need to warm up an engine. I have spoken with him about the details of the test ride he took on your bike. The ride was very brief at 3.2 km so the majority of the 16 minutes would have been warmup time. He drove at lower speeds during the outbound leg of the ride and only brought the bike up to a higher speed briefly on the return leg. In my opinion, the warmup was probably adequate. You may have a differing opinion. It was a cold day, about 2 degrees above, so the tech was tempted not to ride your bike, but decided that since your bike is a bike capable of high speeds, it would have been irresponsible not to do so.”

So, thoughts? Is it “irresponsible” for them to not do this? Is this to be expected at all dealers?

Anything under a ton is sightseeing.

You do raise a viable issue re: impoundment.

sounds like they saw a sexy tuono and wanted a demo ride

Sweet looking bike!
2018-aprilia-tuono-025.jpg

If this is a reputable dealership - I wouldnt be too concerned.
That being said - I typically only go to a specific dealer / garage and I trust them 100%.

So even if they did 'utilize' a higher than normal range of motion, I wouldn't be too concerned.
Besides, they didnt wipe those records off the bike - did they?
I'd actually appreciate them being transparent with me like this.

I usually leave my dashcam running in the car when it goes in for service/maintenance and have seen techs beat on it from time to time to ensure everything is in order prior to returning it to me - it was fine by me as it wasn't intentional abuse like burnouts or unecessary exhaust revving etc.

W.r.t the bike - I'd rather have them turn it up a bit than have something go wrong when I ride 'spiritedly'.

Now if I did go to some el-cheapo garage and saw those numbers - I'd be a bit suspicious lol.

No damage done. Never go back. Make sure you tell them why.

They damaged my front axle sliders. Looks like they tried to pry them off with something...tool marks all over both sides.
I won’t be back. I’d rather drive twice the distance and go to another Aprilia Dealer than deal with them again.

I know who the "dealer" is after reading that arrogant reply

thanks for sharing, I'm gonna stick with George
who is it so I know to avoid them?

For me, on any 1000 cc sport bike, it would not concern me, and I would almost expect them to take it over 120 for a short blast,
to see how the new tires feel.
That being said, I would not expect it, at this time of year or anything colder than +5, that's just me.

Sounds like a highway onramp and return. 156km on a Tuono is 2nd gear in the nice meaty part of the power band. First time I rode one, I was absolutely shocked at how fast I was going just to stretch it's legs. Since you had new tires, its fine. Infact I'd thank them for testing it at that speed rather than testing it myself and finding the balance was off. If they took it up to 200 on a "closed course" before handing me the keys back I'd be ecstatic.

Question is how vigorously the brake pads were being seated. Wouldn't be worried though as M50s or Stylemas can take it and the recall was about the brake pad material separating from the plate. I'm in the same boat as the tires. Better they test the quality of their work instead of me when it matters.

Also, engine from cold. Hard to say. Bike could have been in the shop so never sat outside. It also doesn't sound like you had any engine work done so it'll be whatever condition your bike is in. The fact that its new cold (sport?) tires and 2 degrees and your bike came back in 1 piece means that your bike was given a reasonable amount of time to warm up. Cold starting an engine at 2c is not going to grenade it. Its why oil has a w rating. Soft compound tires also have pretty much zero grip at that temp. If the tech had your traction control on, I am absolutely certain that the 156km wasn't in the first several minutes.

Sweet looking bike!
2018-aprilia-tuono-025.jpg

If this is a reputable dealership - I wouldnt be too concerned.
That being said - I typically only go to a specific dealer / garage and I trust them 100%.

So even if they did 'utilize' a higher than normal range of motion, I wouldn't be too concerned.
Besides, they didnt wipe those records off the bike - did they?
I'd actually appreciate them being transparent with me like this.

I usually leave my dashcam running in the car when it goes in for service/maintenance and have seen techs beat on it from time to time to ensure everything is in order prior to returning it to me - it was fine by me as it wasn't intentional abuse like burnouts or unecessary exhaust revving etc.

W.r.t the bike - I'd rather have them turn it up a bit than have something go wrong when I ride 'spiritedly'.

Now if I did go to some el-cheapo garage and saw those numbers - I'd be a bit suspicious lol.
vehicle returned every time with either dashcam plug pulled or plugged in but no data (so pulled during work).

doesn't bother me, i don't own a cool car.

Pretty sure once the fan kicks on, your engine is up to operating temperature :geek:

I had the opposite problem with tire mounting/balancing. At legal speeds, no issues, at higher speeds (less than their test drive speed) it shook like a mother. I took it back and told them to fix it and how to replicate he problem and they said that their work was sufficient as it worked at legal speeds. I was obviously unhappy so they said they would fix it for me this time. Worked great the 2nd time.

As for warmup, presumably your bike started at shop temperature not outside temp. After more than 10 minutes of running from ~20C the oil will have some heat in it and I wouldnt be too worried. They didnt even need to give it the beans to get to that speed.

I had the opposite problem with tire mounting/balancing. At legal speeds, no issues, at higher speeds (less than their test drive speed) it shook like a mother. I took it back and told them to fix it and how to replicate he problem and they said that their work was sufficient as it worked at legal speeds. I was obviously unhappy so they said they would fix it for me this time. Worked great the 2nd time.

As for warmup, presumably your bike started at shop temperature not outside temp. After more than 10 minutes of running from ~20C the oil will have some heat in it and I wouldnt be too worried. They didnt even need to give it the beans to get to that speed.

HA!
So on one hand, if it works at legal speeds it’s good enough. And on the other, they’ve got to make sure it works at speeds they think their customers could ride at....
I’ll accept the temperature reasoning. Initially I was thinking it was started at 2 degrees, not in the shop.

indeed, you can likely get there in first gear at a glance.

Back
Top Bottom