Is this filtering? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Is this filtering?

Overtaking and passing rules
Passing meeting vehicles
(1) Every person in charge of a vehicle on a highway meeting another vehicle shall turn out to the right from the centre of the roadway, allowing the other vehicle one-half of the roadway free. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 148 (1).
Vehicles or equestrians overtaken
(2) Every person in charge of a vehicle or on horseback on a highway who is overtaken by a vehicle or equestrian travelling at a greater speed shall turn out to the right and allow the overtaking vehicle or equestrian to pass. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 148 (2).
Note: On a day to be named by proclamation of the Lieutenant Governor, section 148 of the Act is amended by adding the following subsection: (See: 2019, c. 8, Sched. 1, s. 28)
Offence
(2.1) Every person who, while driving a motor vehicle, contravenes subsection (2) is guilty of an offence and on conviction is liable to a fine of not less than $150 and not more than $1,000. 2019, c. 8, Sched. 1, s. 28.
Exception
(3) Subsections (1) and (2) do not apply to a person in charge of a road service vehicle or a road-building machine or apparatus while the machine or apparatus is engaged in the construction of a highway. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 148 (3).
Vehicles meeting bicycles
(4) Every person in charge of a vehicle on a highway meeting a person travelling on a bicycle shall allow the cyclist sufficient room on the roadway to pass. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 148 (4).
Vehicles or equestrians overtaking others
(5) Every person in charge of a vehicle or on horseback on a highway who is overtaking another vehicle or equestrian shall turn out to the left so far as may be necessary to avoid a collision with the vehicle or equestrian overtaken, and the person overtaken is not required to leave more than one-half of the roadway free. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 148 (5).
Bicycles overtaken
(6) Every person on a bicycle or motor assisted bicycle who is overtaken by a vehicle or equestrian travelling at a greater speed shall turn out to the right and allow the vehicle or equestrian to pass and the vehicle or equestrian overtaking shall turn out to the left so far as may be necessary to avoid a collision. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 148 (6).
Same
(6.1) Every person in charge of a motor vehicle on a highway who is overtaking a person travelling on a bicycle shall, as nearly as may be practicable, leave a distance of not less than one metre between the bicycle and the motor vehicle and shall maintain that distance until safely past the bicycle. 2015, c. 14, s. 42.
Same
(6.2) The one metre distance required by subsection (6.1) refers to the distance between the extreme right side of the motor vehicle and the extreme left side of the bicycle, including all projections and attachments. 2015, c. 14, s. 42.
Driver unable to turn out is to stop
(7) Where one vehicle is met or overtaken by another, if by reason of the weight of the load on either of the vehicles so meeting or on the vehicle so overtaken the driver finds it impracticable to turn out, he or she shall immediately stop, and, if necessary for the safety of the other vehicle and if required so to do, he or she shall assist the person in charge thereof to pass without damage. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 148 (7).
Passing vehicle going in same direction
(8) No person in charge of a vehicle shall pass or attempt to pass another vehicle going in the same direction on a highway unless the roadway,
(a) in front of and to the left of the vehicle to be passed is safely free from approaching traffic; and
(b) to the left of the vehicle passing or attempting to pass is safely free from overtaking traffic. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 148 (8).

I always let riders to pass between me and next car. If possible, I actually slightly move out of way and wave them. It does not make sense for me to let a rider sit in sweltering heat on Gardiner West parking lot.

(8) No person in charge of a vehicle shall pass or attempt to pass another vehicle going in the same direction on a highway unless the roadway,
(a) in front of and to the left of the vehicle to be passed is safely free from approaching traffic; and
(b) to the left of the vehicle passing or attempting to pass is safely free from overtaking traffic. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 148 (8).
(y)
No mention of passing on the right because you are simply not suppose to!
In Canada we pass on the left, unless you are passing a street car, or the vehicle on your left is making a left turn.

(y)
In Canada we pass on the left, unless you are passing a street car, or the vehicle on your left is making a left turn.
Right lane is often the fast lane these days.

If you're being passed on the right it usually means you are in the wrong lane.

(y)

Read the post that responded to yours... just before the the post you quoted... section 150.. all about passing o the right.

(y)

section 166 covers passing street cars.

section 166 covers passing street cars.
You know those things have built in sanders for in the winter,
:I makes them hard to pass in deep snow.

If traffic isn't moving at all doesn't that mean the left lane is free from overtaking traffic? It can't be overtaking anyone if it's not going anywhere. If traffic is moving you're not filtering, you're splitting.

If traffic isn't moving at all doesn't that mean the left lane is free from overtaking traffic? It can't be overtaking anyone if it's not going anywhere. If traffic is moving you're not filtering, you're splitting.

Passing a stationary vehicle is still considered overtaking.

You question states "left lane is free from"... reading the laws.. they state "to the left".
That rule is stating that before you pull out to the left to pass.. you have to make sure it's clear, that someone behind you hasn't already pulled out and started to pass you... that you're not pulling out infront of that overtaking vehicle.

Passing a stationary vehicle is still considered overtaking.

You question states "left lane is free from"... reading the laws.. they state "to the left".
That rule is stating that before you pull out to the left to pass.. you have to make sure it's clear, that someone behind you hasn't already pulled out and started to pass you... that you're not pulling out infront of that overtaking vehicle.
So I can't drive down my one-way street for half the month because vehicles are stationary on the left during that half of the month and I can't pass on the right?

So I can't drive down my one-way street for half the month because vehicles are stationary on the left during that half of the month and I can't pass on the right?
You are not passing traffic you are passing legally parked vehicles.

You are not passing traffic you are passing legally parked vehicles.
Fair. Although section 150 doesn't say that makes it ok. Then again, I don't see how the highways in Toronto would function at all if you aren't allowed to pass on the right except if someone is turning left. I guess I just won't worry about it much.

If that was a multi-lane one way road with parking, you should probably still be passing on the left of traffic
unless it's stop and go, then you should just be careful

if you are on water at the time then you go by nautical law, pass anywhere you can with safety. :cool:
Motorcycle-Stunts-Robbie-Maddison-Water-Bike.jpg

Back
Top Bottom