Is this filtering? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Is this filtering?

QVBD

New rider but old bicycle rider. When you're riding on a 4 lane road (Bloor West, in my example), is it ok to share the lane with parked cars to pass cars on the inside lane? Is that considered filtering and therefore illegal? I'm not sure since bicyclist are allowed to do this.

90% of what bicyclists do is not legal, so using them as a point of reference isn't a good start.

And no, filtering is not legal in Ontario.

Pop a wheelie! is legal if you have peddles.

I wouldn't ride in that bit unless your absolutely certain there's no one in the parked vehicles, getting doored sucks. But as everyone else said, not legal (yet....)

this is no different than in a car
only one vehicle per lane

so if the there is a car parked in the curb lane
you cannot legally pass it in that lane

I do it all the time on bathurst downtown. But yeah, cops don't care.

Doubtful that it's legal. But Danforth (around Donlands to Woodbine area) is also a 4lane road, with parked cars, but the curb lane is extra wide and it is typically driven/ridden by many as if it were legal because cars and bikes fit. But during Rush Hour, it's no parked cars and still 4 lanes. I remember hearing it was OK if the cars are parked (not running) from a TPS officer and on here as well, but no bueno when all the vehicles in a single lane are on.
But as noted above, cops usually don't care as long as you're not being an asshat.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

So many people saying you can't share a lane with a parked car in this thread but every previous thread until this one said it was.

I do it on my motorcycle. If my car fits I do it in that too (along with everyone else I see) but that's pretty rare.

Far as I know filtering/lane splitting only applies if the other vehicles are driving. Even then, again as far as I'm aware, neither are explicitly illegal but are likely to get you charged with something else (usually stunting under O. Reg. 455/07, s. 3,8,iii).

So many people saying you can't share a lane with a parked car in this thread but every previous thread until this one said it was.

I do it on my motorcycle. If my car fits I do it in that too (along with everyone else I see) but that's pretty rare.

Far as I know filtering/lane splitting only applies if the other vehicles are driving. Even then, again as far as I'm aware, neither are explicitly illegal but are likely to get you charged with something else (usually stunting under O. Reg. 455/07, s. 3,8,iii).
I have never heard of a rider being targeted specifically for filtering. Filtering will draw attention, perhaps cops might see another infraction, and if you're in a collision you will likely be charged with something. The fact that it's not specifically legal means you're unlikely to get a break - in the event a collision occurs you will take all or some fault.

The toughest part of filtering is driver awareness is virtually zero - drivers are neither looking for or expecting motorcycles to filter making the risk of collision for a MC rider quite high. Don't be a martyr.

Agree.

I don't think sharing with parked cars counts as filtering though.

90% of what bicyclists do is not legal, so using them as a point of reference isn't a good start.

And no, filtering is not legal in Ontario.
:rolleyes:. Yeah just like those damn motorbikers going through like this in the traffic (makes hand wave motion).

Agree.

I don't think sharing with parked cars counts as filtering though.
As mentioned above, it's a behaviour that cars can do where if a lane has parked cars but leaves enough space for your car to fit in, you can definitely drive through it and it's fine. SO, there shouldn't be any issue legal with a motorcycle doing that if say, there's enough space for 3/4 of a car , like on queen street and such. It's just riskier due to dooring hazard

:rolleyes:. Yeah just like those damn motorbikers going through like this in the traffic (makes hand wave motion).

As mentioned above, it's a behaviour that cars can do where if a lane has parked cars but leaves enough space for your car to fit in, you can definitely drive through it and it's fine. SO, there shouldn't be any issue legal with a motorcycle doing that if say, there's enough space for 3/4 of a car , like on queen street and such. It's just riskier due to dooring hazard
what does fine actually mean?

Until you meet a cop who didn't get laid the night before right? :unsure: like all situations we're at the mercy of the officer.

Yeah well it's the same as turning right at an intersection by sharing the lane with the driver.
It's one lane but if there's enough space, people squeeze by to turn. I've never heard of someone getting ticketed over that! But it's in the same kinda lane/space sharing, i'd even say that this latest example should be ticketed first as it's potentially live traffic waiting at a light vs non-live traffic parked on the side of the street.

But oh well, as you say, it might just end up in an argument with an officer with their panties in a bunch

Yeah well it's the same as turning right at an intersection by sharing the lane with the driver.
It's one lane but if there's enough space, people squeeze by to turn. I've never heard of someone getting ticketed over that! But it's in the same kinda lane/space sharing, i'd even say that this latest example should be ticketed first as it's potentially live traffic waiting at a light vs non-live traffic parked on the side of the street.

But oh well, as you say, it might just end up in an argument with an officer with their panties in a bunch
I read a post on here a few years ago of a group charged with stunting for doing that. Think they beat it in court but you're still out a couple thousand for that charge even if you win.

Unless they changed the rules of the road, the only thing you are really suppose to pass on the right hand side is a street car.
Pretty sure that was even covered in the little booklet they used to give you for free, but now they charge you for.

Unless they changed the rules of the road, the only thing you are really suppose to pass on the right hand side is a street car.
Pretty sure that was even covered in the little booklet they used to give you for free, but now they charge you for.

That books is free online and passing on the right is completely acceptable in Ontario if not absolutely required.

That little booklet is full of suggestions... not all are laws.
From the HTA...

Passing to right of vehicle
(1) The driver of a motor vehicle may overtake and pass to the right of another vehicle only where the movement can be made in safety and,
(a) the vehicle overtaken is making or about to make a left turn or its driver has signalled his or her intention to make a left turn;
(b) is made on a highway with unobstructed pavement of sufficient width for two or more lines of vehicles in each direction; or
(c) is made on a highway designated for the use of one-way traffic only. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 150 (1).
Driving off roadway prohibited
(2) No driver of a motor vehicle shall overtake and pass another vehicle by driving off the roadway. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 150 (2).
Non-application of subs. (2)
(3) Subsection (2) does not apply to,
(a) a motor vehicle overtaking and passing to the right of another vehicle where the shoulder to the right of the roadway is paved and the vehicle overtaken is making or about to make a left turn or its driver has signalled his or her intention to make a left turn;
(b) an ambulance or fire department vehicle;
(c) a police department vehicle or a vehicle being driven by an officer appointed for carrying out the provisions of this Act;
(d) a tow truck where the driver is responding to a police request for assistance;
(e) a road service vehicle; or
(f) a motor vehicle overtaking and passing to the right of a road service vehicle or road-building machine where a person apparently employed by or on behalf of the authority that is engaged in the highway maintenance operation has directed the driver to pass it and the movement can be made in safety. 2009, c. 5, s. 46 (2).

Back
Top Bottom