Is it worth it to reupholster a motorcycle seat | GTAMotorcycle.com

Is it worth it to reupholster a motorcycle seat

cbranje

Site Supporter
I have a 3 piece seat that needs some work or replacement.

Is it worth it to have it reupholstered and if so, where should I get it done.

Carmen

How old is the bike? Are replacement seats easily available?

Only you can decide if it's worth it. Almost any upholstery shop can do a basic recover for $100 to 300 depending on materials and difficulty. Now is a good time to upgrade to a Sargent or equivalent if it is available to get a truly comfortable seat.

I did my own seat a few years ago (CB450SC) as I couldn't find a shop to stitch in a pattern to match the factory seat cover and it cost me <$100 for foam and material and about 20 hours.

depends on the bike and seat material?

I got a custom made Carbon Vinly front and rear seat cover for $50 and just installed it myself.

100_8013.jpg

100_8012.jpg

100_8008.jpg

I think it really depends on how complicated the seat is. I did my wife's for $30 in material and glue and think it turned out great.

dscf9047tz.jpg

I have a 3 piece seat that needs some work or replacement.

Is it worth it to have it reupholstered and if so, where should I get it done.

Carmen

What is the option you are comparing it against? No seat, no bike .... buying older seat. Well the one reupholstered should look 1000 times better with fresh foam and cover.

It depends what is it you are looking for. If you don't care about look at all, find a cheap used seat and use that ...

A few years ago I took an upholstery course with the Toronto board of Ed. It was a bunch of winter evenings and I ended up with a boat cover that was better and cheaper than anything I could buy.

Just had my sport bike seat redone by a guy who makes living doing it. One color carbon fibre pattern cover with completely new padding to my liking. 85 bucks ...... you cannot beat that with any diy. Unless you are getting a kick out of doing the stuff. I don't ... LOL

Just get a sheepskin cover for it. They actually work great and look good too (depending on the bike of course).

Sheep skin... wont do a long trip without it... LOVE mine.

A few years ago I took an upholstery course with the Toronto board of Ed. It was a bunch of winter evenings and I ended up with a boat cover that was better and cheaper than anything I could buy.

Do you have info on that course? I would be interested...

I had a (then) girlfriend volunteer to make me a new cover. She used the old one as a pattern. We bought some marine grade vinyl and she sewed it up, fit perfectly. That was three years ago, and it still looks great.
In hindsight, I should have re-worked the padding a little, put some memory foam in perhaps, but. . . . .

Back
Top Bottom