is it really that bad to wear a helmet slightly larger than your normal size? | GTAMotorcycle.com

is it really that bad to wear a helmet slightly larger than your normal size?

SkyRider

so i tried on this arai medium and it fits snug. then i tried on a large and it's a little loose but not much. all things being equal, the large is more comfy because it puts less pressure on my cheeks. but if i were to go racing i would wear the medium. but i don't race, so i would like my lid to be more comfy. should i go for the large? thnx

Buy the medium, the padding will form to your head. As long as it doesn't actually cut off circulation.

You can also try other brands and Arai models, as all of them fit differently.

A helmet that is too large is dangerous.

I use a balaclava to adjust size - tight = headaches
- a bit of space allows for earphones and cool weather gear underneath. Glasses, goggles all add some layers. Nothing worse than your sunglasses digging into your temples on a tight fit.

Buy the medium, the padding will form to your head. As long as it doesn't actually cut off circulation.

You can also try other brands and Arai models, as all of them fit differently.

A helmet that is too large is dangerous.

seems like the arai vector 2 fits me best. ok i get that wearing a helmet too large is bad cuz in a crash the helmet can slide off completely (?), but if it's just a little loose, what's the worse that could happen really?

I use a balaclava to adjust size - tight = headaches
- a bit of space allows for earphones and cool weather gear underneath. Glasses, goggles all add some layers. Nothing worse than your sunglasses digging into your temples on a tight fit.

how do u wear the balaclava when it's hot out? lol

seems like the arai vector 2 fits me best. ok i get that wearing a helmet too large is bad cuz in a crash the helmet can slide off completely (?), but if it's just a little loose, what's the worse that could happen really?

You die.

Is that likely? Who am I to say?

A bit dramatic? Sure.

Do you think a representative from Arai or another company would recommend going with a helmet that is "a bit" too big? If you get ten (or a 100) internet responses from folks here saying it's not a big deal, does that give you more confidence going with it?

It's your head. It's your comfort. You decide.

The padding should compress a bit over time but, I've had a helmet that was a bit too small (using this thinking) and it sucked and gave me a head ache. With litterly thousands of quality choices, you should find one from Arai or someone else that fits right. (and not a little big or a little bit small)

Honestly, keep looking for the right one that fits right.

Cheers.

Put it this way. Helmets are designed to meet or exceed certain impact tests. DOT, Snell, ECE, what-have-you. Helmets that don't pass these tests are deemed dangerous. I would think that if a helmet was run through these tests with a dummy head inside that was one size too small, they would fail. So how much do you value those helmet standards? Would you be just as happy buying a helmet that didn't meet any safety standard?

Besides, you'll get used to it. What seems tight now will feel "nice and snug" in a few months. It's like people who don't wear seatbelts because it makes them uncomfortable. They're just not used to it, that's all.

And one more thing... a helmet one size too large will allow much more wind noise which is annoying/tiring/damaging all by itself. As long as it doesn't cause you pain, get the tight fitting helmet.

Last edited:
pardon my ignorance, but die from what? i know it's worst case scenario. would a person die from the helmet flying off his head upon impact? has this ever happened and documented?

Imagine a bell, and your head is inside it. What happens, when someone moves that bell. Instead of protecting your head, that helmet will probably provide you with a double-impact. Like someone else already said, foam inside the helmet will form and the helmet will loosen up a bit with time.

A helmet should not be comfortable the first time you try it on in the store. It should be tight and it should compress your cheeks but it shouldn't have pressure points.

It will pack out after awhile.

how do u wear the balaclava when it's hot out? lol
Yes dingbat - I have full communication with my clients in bound and outbound plus music, plus Scala and many people wear light balaclavas as a helmet liner, keeps the helmet fresh and holds the earbuds in place.
In winter I wear a heavier balaclava and have a helmet that is slightly larger to accommodate.

Don't shoot your mouth off when you don't know what you are talking about...LOL :rolleyes:

•••
To a point helmets will compress but what happens is in the store you most often have no glasses on and if it's tight there it will be brutal.

Get a good fit with a bit of clearance and figure out what you are wearing under it and take it along.
Trying to get a snug helmet on with earbuds in can be a painful experience.
Bottom line you need comfortable not tight, not loose.
and they don't take helmets back.

What the hell different does it make if you're racing or street riding? A loose helmet is a loose helmet... if you value your head and whats inside, get a proper fitting helmet.

What the hell different does it make if you're racing or street riding? A loose helmet is a loose helmet... if you value your head and whats inside, get a proper fitting helmet.

but the large is not "loose", it's just not as TIGHT as the medium. but definitely not loose. if i put on XL it would be loose.

Back
Top Bottom