Is it leagl?-not HTA related | Page 7 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Is it leagl?-not HTA related

My jack russel has broken 6 collars this yr.....and 2 retractable leashes for dogs up to 45 lbs. She is 12 lbs.

It's not too likely that the old man would get charged for shooting the dog. Shooting the dog when a person is 2 meters away from and closing in on the dog when it is shot is a whole different matter. Go forward on that basis.

Clearly the old man is a grumpy old bastard and what he did is both appalling and very unsafe. Whatever charges may be laid by the crown, would be very warranted. However, while everyone's focusing on the old man, nobody's pointed out that the dog owners should bear some of the responsibility here. After all, it's their dog that on at least two occasions has gotten loose and ran to the old man's property. I wouldn't want someone else's pets arbitrarily showing up on my property either. Granted, I wouldn't harm the animal in that scenario :p

My jack russel has broken 6 collars this yr.....and 2 retractable leashes for dogs up to 45 lbs. She is 12 lbs.

What would Cesar Millan say! Tsk tsk! LOL

Any update on this one Scott?

M bro never called the cops or followed up at all. RTo my dismay. So I called the cops and they wouldn't even speak to me since I wasn't the owner of the dog (victim). When I pushed to get someone to take some statements, the cop hung up on me.
Dog is mutialted a little in the face and has some buckshot lodged in it''s skull, but seems to be functioning fine.

M bro never called the cops or followed up at all. RTo my dismay. So I called the cops and they wouldn't even speak to me since I wasn't the owner of the dog (victim). When I pushed to get someone to take some statements, the cop hung up on me.
Dog is mutialted a little in the face and has some buckshot lodged in it''s skull, but seems to be functioning fine.

Lucky dog. Buckshot missed the eyes? From your first post it sounded like the dog was dead.
I want to see this man charged, and am pushing my brother to sue for the dog, vet costs, euthanasia, and trauma and scarring on his children.

Yes, it certainly sounded like the dog was dead to me, also.

I still urge that your brother pursue the issue. Someone who behaves as described here is a danger to his neighbours.

Last edited:
Did the dog leave the man's property after being shot, or did someone have to go and get the dog from his yard?
I'm curious to hear how the old man behaved around your Bro, and his family, while they were on his property getting the injuried dog, if that is how it happened.
Did he hide inside, stay right there? Was there any confortation with him? Was he threatening to anyone when they were on his property getting the injuried dog? What did he say, if anything, to the kids right after he shot the dog as they were right there?

Yes, it certainly sounded like the dog was dead to me, also.

I still urge that your brother pursue the issue. Someone who behaves as described here is a danger to his neighbours.

From what I read the guy is a ticking time bomb. What amazes me is the cops not investigating when a gun is fired in a threatening manner even if just in the air. With our firearm laws the guy should have been reamed.

The guy went back inside-they had to come get the dog. The dog's safety and a rush to the vets was their first worry, although it took my sis in law and all their kids to keep my bro from kicking the old mans door in. I have no idea why that rage has completely gone away-it wouldn't with me, it still hasn't. I am still mad.

A week later the old man came over to apologize saying he never meant to hit the dog, just to shoot the ground and scare it like a warning shot. Then he asked which dog he shot (they have a 20 lb boxer puppy too). Big difference between a 20 lb and 80+ lb dog if you ask me. If he didn't know what he was shooting at, he definitely shouldn't have shouldered the gun as far as I am concerned. And if he can't see well enough to detrmine which animal he is shooting , maybe gun ownership isn't a good and safe idea?
I am at my wits end, but the cops will not deal with me at all on this, and until the police make an investigation and take statements, the SPCA can't proceed either..... but my bro says he and his wife are too busy to follow up etc etc, as they both work all day over an hr from home, and I get that. But I told him he needs to pursue this, if nothing else, but to show his kids how much he cares and that Daddy will always help them.

Last edited:
A week later the old man came over...

I think I would have felt "threatened" by his presence on my door step!!!

The rest of your post about going inside after shooting the dog and not knowing what he shot is scary.

Letting kids approuch a Rotti that has just been shot in the face, even though it is their dog, was a really stupid action.

The fact he had no idea what he was shooting at, but still took the shot anyway should see him have his guns taken from him and be banned from owning guns, in my opinion.

Was firing a "warning shot"... that hit the target in the face....!? Ridiculous!

A couple of years ago I saw Peel cops do a take-down of an old fart who was suspected of having a gun. Great teamwork, minimal rough stuff and it turned out to be a fake.
Maybe it's a rural thing but it sounds like the cops down there haven't left the donut shop yet.

I'm a little late to the thread, but first off I'm really sorry to hear of this happening. The old man should definitely be charged with animal cruelty for not finishing the wounded animal off. To let it sit there and suffer is disgusting. It's too bad that you and your family don't seem to be able to control your dogs. Perhaps you guys should go take some lessons in dog ownership so that you can learn how to control your dogs.

I'm a little late to the thread, but first off I'm really sorry to hear of this happening. The old man should definitely be charged with animal cruelty for not finishing the wounded animal off. To let it sit there and suffer is disgusting. It's too bad that you and your family don't seem to be able to control your dogs. Perhaps you guys should go take some lessons in dog ownership so that you can learn how to control your dogs.

??? Kids play with dogs and accidents happen. Capital punishment isn't needed for a minor lapse in judgement.

I suggest that you read the references to the law, that are present in this thread.

That man should be arrested and charge. Those cops from the first responce should have a formal complaint made agaist them cause if they had done their jobs properly then, this may have not happened. Those girls could have been killed. This is a very serious situation and it should not be taken lightly. Also, depending on how much time has passed your bro might be able to press charges for the uttering death threats from before.

It is not up to the police to decide this. That is why people are inocent until proven guilty.

You should make up your mind. First you say he is guilty and should be charged based on 1 side of the story, then in your next reply say that people are innocent until proven guilty. As soon as an animal is injured or killed, people turn into vigilante retards and are unable to think rationally.

Um what I said makes perfect sense. You arrest someone and have them charged then it goes to court and the judge decides!!! They are innocent until proven guilty. Arresting someone and having them charged does not mean they are guilty...

??? Kids play with dogs and accidents happen. Capital punishment isn't needed for a minor lapse in judgement.

It wasn't an accident. The dog broke it's leash and therefore was not under control. I would never let my kid's take a dog that they weren't able to control.

Back
Top Bottom