Is it leagl?-not HTA related | Page 10 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Is it leagl?-not HTA related

Wow yourself, the incident you posted made no mention of how long the dog owners have been living in the country. The scenario where suburbanites move out to the sticks and find out that they need to change the way they think about various issues repeats itself enough times that an unbiased reader of this thread might be justified not to automatically take your side.

Actually, if you'd continued to read Omnivore's posts, he clearly stated that his brother has been a neighbor to the the gun-totin' old man for 1.5 years. He also gave details of how things played out that night and past interactions between the two parties were also disclosed.

Just sayin'... :D

Last edited:
Something similar happened in Uxbridge a couple of years ago. Big city people move to the country and got a lesson in responsible dog ownership etiquette. Case closed. If that dog ran in front of a motorcycle and caused a crash I don't think the members here would have the same sympathy towards the family who owned the dog.

http://newsdurhamregion.com/article/88079

http://newsdurhamregion.com/article/88017

And the old man having an unfortunate accident would be an example of a lesson in not pissing off your neighbors.

If a dog running out in front of motorcycle falls so hard on the shoulders of the dog owner, whose to blame for the deer, moose, wolves, etc.

Shooting someones dog never goes over well, no matter how rural you get.

Well. A sad update.

On the way out to church Sunday morning, my brother's kids accidentally let their 6 month old boxxer puppy out the side door while all 3 of them were pilinginto the minivan....... It ran into the uncut cornfield with the youngest boy in chase calling her. The Rottweiler who was shot previously was still in the house. They set about looking for her, only to hear a gun shot a couple minutes later. They ran next door to find their little 30 lb puppy flopping around in a pool of blood in the snow, in the side yard of the same old man neighbour, standing over her with his shotgun.
My brother ran over, his kids screaming and loosing their mind, watching the poor puppy dying. They held her till she was gone, and then my brother got in the old bugger's face and called the OPP. He lost his mind to the dispatcher saying that if they had done their job last time, the old man wouldn't have even owned a gun today to kill a dog with. She said officers were en route and would be there any minute. He stayed on the phone with her for another 45 minutes and they still hadn't arrived. The dispatcher lady said the officer's in car laptop was logged on as "arrived at scene" just 10 minutes after the call, and she said she couldn't believe that my brother was in the man's yard and the cops weren't there yet. My brother even asked her if she was just giving him the run-around again, as last time the cops never ever arrived, never took any statements, and absolutely nothing was done about the last dog shooting with his children in the same yard while the gun was fired......The man was being very aggressive and yelling at my brother, claiming that the last time it was just a warning shot, and my brother was lying about the Rottweiller being injured at all, and that he must have missed or why didn't the cops charge him? He also said that if he had shot the Rottweiler last time it'd be dead. My bother said he'd happily give the old bugger the vet bills since he caused them. The old man once again said he was afraid and that's why he shot the dog this time, and that the dog was attacking him...maybe with the 80 lb Rottweiler that story might have been plausible, but a 30 lb puppy? And boxers are well known for their mild manners. This pup was nothing but playful and harmless, and the cops didn't buy his story one bit. The cops said the footprints in the snow looked more like the pup was playing around the yard in the snow with the old man's black lab. The old man's lab often wanders over and plays with the puppy.
It took hrs for the cops to arrive, but finally they did. They spent 3 hrs taking pictures, very thouroughy scouring the property. They took lots of measurements and statements from the kids as well, and my brother's wife told the officers about two weeks ago, when she was walking the dog in the field behind the houses, the old man , standing in his back yard, shouldered his firearm and yelled to her to get the goddamned dog out of those fields or he would kill it. She was with the dog, so he effectively pointed the gun at her too. The cop leading the investigation even helped my brother collect his dead puppy and carry it home so he could "give it a proper family burial" as the officer stated in his own words. My brother said he felt as though this cop was a dog lover, and that helped cool off the situation.
The cops have seized all of the man's guns, have taken away his FAC, charged him with dangerous use of a firearm, and he has been charged with animal cruelty by both the OPP and the SPCA.
My brother told the police that he understands it's his fault for not catching the dog running off, and that he would not be complaining if he were now receiving a ticket for offleash dog etc....but he also explained that the last time the neighbour shot the bigger dog, the police's lax attitude and their inability to even show up, simply let the man believe he had the right to kill anyone's pet who came on his land. Now rather than an offleash ticket, he and his kids have to bury their puppy.

Last edited:
I just wanted to play.....
boxer_fanner1.jpg

R.I.P. little buddy, another victim of the Ontario government.

I just wanted to play.....
boxer_fanner1.jpg

R.I.P. little buddy, another victim of the Ontario government.

That's almost exactly what Allie looked like too.
I cried a little tonight when I signed onto Facebook and my nephew's status was "I hate my neighbour-he shot my puppy and now she's dead"

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

I don't mean to sound insensitive but after that whole ordeal you suffered just a couple of months ago, how could your brother possibly let a near identical situation happen AGAIN knowing very well the consequences of having your pet roaming next door and potentially getting killed?

Oh you are right...he knows the fault of the dog slipping out lies directly on them......but had the police done their job last time properly, my brother should have been facing a tongue lashing from the OPP for letting the dog slip out and a ticket.

The simple fact is that every day, hundreds of dogs everywhere escape from their homes, leashes and yards. A dog is a living creature with it's own curiosity and natural insticnt to go and discover things. My own dog has climbed up on my boy's trampoline, and jumped over the fence in my backyard chasing a squirrel that was on top of the fence. It took us hours of looking, along with the neighbours and SPCA, and she was found near the hospital eating snacks fed to her by a little old lady......and this was right in the city. It happens. The fact that it happens all the time shows that it isn't uncommon. And most of the time these pets are safely returned home. Most people would have no fear or even an idea that their puppy would become a bloody smear in the snow, shot to death. ........Most people not including my brother and his family. This is why they went looking for the pup right away, but only a couple minuites of the dog being out of the house had passed, when they heard the shot. This old man is under the impression that he can, without recourse, shoot anything he wants on his land. Often a found pet will be taken into a stranger's home and cared for or even adopted. To the opposite extreme, can you imagine being the kind of person who would immedaietely shoot a harmless pup that was stray? I can't at all. I have caught dogs wandering, and brought them for car rides, canvassing the neighbourhoods asking people if they knew where this dog belongs. Can't imagine harming one.
Imagine for one moment, if you have read this whole thread, that the first incident had happened, and a dog was shot that belonged to a local cop, or a local MPP, the mayor, well known busnessman, etc. DO you think the first investigation would have been dropped and pushed aside with nothing being done? Of course not.
DO I lay some of the blame from this second incident on the OPP's botched job last time? Definitely. As I said, there should be off leash tickets being handed out, not gun violations and animal cruelty charges.

Last edited:
You know how I feel about this... and my two posts saying so were deleted just before you posted last.

I was starting to feel like a prick and second guessing myself for reacting/doing what we did/are doing regarding our potentially similar situation with our neighbor and his threats.... but this just re-interates the reasons and I certainly won't feel anything now that it looks like they will lose their farm "due to my unreasonable response" to their threats.

The only good news in all of this is that finally the old codger got charged.

Well, that and nobody other than the dog was shot.

and my brother's wife told the officers about two weeks ago, when she was walking the dog in the field behind the houses, the old man , standing in his back yard, shouldered his firearm and yelled to her to get the goddamned dog out of those fields or he would kill it. She was with the dog, so he effectively pointed the gun at her too.
Two things come to mind. Rightly or wrongly, the old guy thinks he has some authority over those fields. If so, being in that field after all that has happened so far is akin to deliberately poking your head back into the angry lion's den. Why would anyone take that chance, especially if there are other places one can choose to go?

That said, I would still have been on the phone to the cops for that incident to complain about a "hostile neighbour deliberately pointing a gun at me" offence. Police might dismiss pointing a gun at a dog out of hand, but not deliberately pointing a gun at a person. It's too late to ever know now, but a vigorously-pursued complaint at that time may have helped avert the latest shooting of another family dog.

I just read this whole thread. I feel your pain OP, and from the conclusion I am very sorry that this happened a second time, it just shocked me to my core. I love animals, esp dogs. I am in utter shock at how long it took to get that guys PAL or FAC or whatever he had taken away, along with all his guns. Another HUGE shock was knowing that the old bastard pointed a gun (sort of) at your wife, I swear that is against the law, and I am thinking jail time for doing that no?

Losing a pet is one of the most painful things that can happen.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

I don't mean to sound insensitive but after that whole ordeal you suffered just a couple of months ago, how could your brother possibly let a near identical situation happen AGAIN knowing very well the consequences of having your pet roaming next door and potentially getting killed?

Are you serious? If you are I hope you don't have kids.

Sorry to the OP about the whole thing. I don't have a dog but if I did it would be a boxer.

The bad guys here are the cops. The lunatic should have been taken care of the first time he made a threat of using a firearm to solve a problem.

I am by no means a dog lover, but I am angered by this whole situation.

I do believe in responsible gun ownership, but that old man clearly was not responsible. I am disappointed by the initially lax attitude of the OPP, and I believe that all firearms offenses should be followed up with a high priority. Ownership of guns is not a protected right in this country, and as such, it needs to be enforced that improper use, dangerous use, and such callous attitude, can not be tolerated and should be enforced in a zero tolerance manner. Simple terms: if you can't keep your gun locked away, you should lose it.

Back
Top Bottom