Is Burlington Cycle OK? (service dept) | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Is Burlington Cycle OK? (service dept)

I did not need to see that..Lol.

*I remember going to the shop to pick up the vent hoses they forgot to re install...
'Sevice manager asked me I'd he had shown me the photos of my bike being worked on... I said... "no, I dont want to see those..." Lol
I went back with oil, saw it in person, and took some pics.
For a split second, when I first saw it, I felt a tad ill. After that split second, I was fine.
No signs of anything being done to it when I got it back. Flawless repairs. Still good.

I went back with oil, saw it in person, and took some pics.
For a split second, when I first saw it, I felt a tad ill. After that split second, I was fine.
No signs of anything being done to it when I got it back. Flawless repairs. Still good.

'Same here... I've probably done 7000kms since the recall was done... Zero issues and the bike rides fine.
There was a lot of anxiety within the FJR "community" over this recall when it first came out... Most of us in angst over having our beloved machines vivisected...
I was eventually put at ease by realizing that it probably wasn't that big a deal for an "actual" motorcycle mechanic/technician...

I'm only a YouTube certified certified motorcycle technician so... Anything involving taking my engine/transmission apart... 'Little above my skill set.

I worked briefly, a long time ago, at a now departed Toronto area shop. We didn't have strictly a basic oil change. The cheapest oil change was an oil change + general inspection. Charged an 1hr labour at full door rate plus parts. Average oil change was about $200, a decade ago.

Pretty sure most large bike shops are still the same. The idea of using cheap oil changes as a loss leader to attract and retain customers has not transferred over to the motorcycle world from automotive. Then again, most shops are booked weeks out, so they aren't setup to handle the additional volume anyways.

Glad I can change my own oil and filter for approximately $30 and a small amount of time. Plus I enjoy it

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

I worked briefly, a long time ago, at a now departed Toronto area shop. We didn't have strictly a basic oil change. The cheapest oil change was an oil change + general inspection. Charged an 1hr labour at full door rate plus parts. Average oil change was about $200, a decade ago.

Pretty sure most large bike shops are still the same. The idea of using cheap oil changes as a loss leader to attract and retain customers has not transferred over to the motorcycle world from automotive. Then again, most shops are booked weeks out, so they aren't setup to handle the additional volume anyways.

'Could look at it another way...
An oil change, however simple it appears to be does tie up a lift and a staff for the better part of an hour.
An hour that could be spent completing more profitable work.
Perhaps the seemingly high prices are their way of saying...
"We don't REALLY want to spend out time changing your dinosaur juice... Can't you just do it yourself..?"

I'll do as much of my own maintenance as I can.... 'Fortunate to have a garage and space/time.
Over the years my repertoire of competence has developed where I can confidently do:
Oil/Fluid changes
Tire changes/balancing
Throttle body syncing
carb rebuilds
Steering head bearing servicing/replacing
Fork seals/oil changes
Full swing arm/bearing servicing
Spark plugs
'Little bit of electrical stuff
Brake/clutch bleeding
Brake caliper servicing/pads
Chain/sprockets replacing
....maybe a few other things I can't recall

The main thing is though... I live in the 'burbs and have the space to play around all winter.
I feel for those who have to live in condos and have nowhere to work on their bike... 'Must suck.

I find the whole process of buying parts and service at a dealer to be frustrating, time consuming and expensive.

I get that dealers can't stock everything but the very basic things like oil and filters. Everything else has to be ordered and lead time can be 2+ days. Some shops will not let you order via phone, so a trip to order is required and then a pickup trip. Unfortunately, this is why many, including myself, are ordering online from the U.S.

Service is similar.... long lead times for appoinments, work is started, then parts might have to be ordered, more delayed, a trip to drop off bike, a trip to pickup. As with parts, my solution has been to learn to do all basic maintenance and to just avoid dealers.

The other thing is that there seems to be a disproportionate number of flippant, sarcastic, rude or indifferent people working at dealers who seem to know nothing, and care less, that I'm a paying customers and can vote with my feet. I seem to have no issues with the car dealerships I go to, retail stores, customer service reps. I speak to on the phone etc.... so I'm reasonably certain it's not me. There seems to be an attitude that the customer is not valued. I sure there are exceptions to this, but I've encountered enough of this type of behavior over the years that it warrants a comment.

At Burlington Cycle I called to ask about carry in tire changes and was told $25 / wheel, $50 in total + tax. When I picked up the wheels next day bill was for $85 + tax. When I pointed out the difference shop manger was called and told me I should have made sure I was speaking to the right person when I phoned them........... Not a great answer. I politely told him that how could I possibly know who was qualified to provide accurate pricing over the phone and that it was their responsibilty to ensure the right person handled customer calls. He let me know he wasn't happy, but I did end up paying the $50 + tax.

Another dealer told me that carry in tires/wheels were $30 / each and then asked where I had purchased the tires. When I told him Pete's Superbike he broke in and told me Pete's was a "whore" and that he wouldn't change the tires. Needless to say he wouldn't be getting a "dealer of the year" nomination from me.

Last edited:
Another dealer told me that carry in tires/wheels were $30 / each and then asked where I had purchased the tires. When I told him Pete's Superbike he broke in and told me Pete's was a "whore" and that he wouldn't change the tires. Needless to say he wouldn't be getting a "dealer of the year" nomination from me.
Its kinda like going into a restaurant with your own food and asking them what they charge for preparing and serving it.
I know of a guy who called a GTA shop looking for tire warranty, when asked where he bought it he said Pete's Superbike.
The shop said take it up with them and he said "you're a dealer for ***, why won't you do it ?
You can imagine the answer...

I think perhaps some of the angst expressed towards customers stems from the result of taking something you once loved, like motorcycles and turning it into a business...
It gotta be a tough slog...

Not excusing the rude behavior, but... Take some acting lessons and at least pretend to be nice... lol.

Its kinda like going into a restaurant with your own food and asking them what they charge for preparing and serving it.

I hear what you're saying, but don't agree.

Many shops sell tires and then install them for a fee or at no charge. If a shop offers a price for carry in tires and wheels then that's their choice. Clearly they know the tires were not purchased at their business, but they're ok with that and presumably want the revenue from the install vs. having nothing at all.

My issue is that they went further, asking for the source of the ires and then became a bit rude when refusing to install tires from a well known tire discounter.

I hear what you're saying, but don't agree.

Many shops sell tires and then install them for a fee or at no charge. If a shop offers a price for carry in tires and wheels then that's their choice. Clearly they know the tires were not purchased at their business, but they're ok with that and presumably want the revenue from the install vs. having nothing at all.

My issue is that they went further, asking for the source of the tires and then became a bit rude when refusing to install tires from a well known tire discounter.
Small businesses, which describes a lot of motorcycle repair facilities, have the right to fire customers within a given context.
We don't know what lead up to the question, we only know the result.
There are a lot of Karens and Todds out there, on both sides of the service counter.

I find the whole process of buying parts and service at a dealer to be frustrating, time consuming and expensive.

I get that dealers can't stock everything but the very basic things like oil and filters. Everything else has to be ordered and lead time can be 2+ days. Some shops will not let you order via phone, so a trip to order is required and then a pickup trip. Unfortunately, this is why many, including myself, are ordering online from the U.S.

Service is similar.... long lead times for appoinments, work is started, then parts might have to be ordered, more delayed, a trip to drop off bike, a trip to pickup. As with parts, my solution has been to learn to do all basic maintenance and to just avoid dealers.

The other thing is that there seems to be a disproportionate number of flippant, sarcastic, rude or indifferent people working at dealers who seem to know nothing, and care less, that I'm a paying customers and can vote with my feet. I seem to have no issues with the car dealerships I go to, retail stores, customer service reps. I speak to on the phone etc.... so I'm reasonably certain it's not me. There seems to be an attitude that the customer is not valued. I sure there are exceptions to this, but I've encountered enough of this type of behavior over the years that it warrants a comment.

At Burlington Cycle I called to ask about carry in tire changes and was told $25 / wheel, $50 in total + tax. When I picked up the wheels next day bill was for $85 + tax. When I pointed out the difference shop manger was called and told me I should have made sure I was speaking to the right person when I phoned them........... Not a great answer. I politely told him that how could I possibly know who was qualified to provide accurate pricing over the phone and that it was their responsibilty to ensure the right person handled customer calls. He let me know he wasn't happy, but I did end up paying the $50 + tax.

It's not unusual for a shop to discount installation with a tire purchase, and to be honest, that's actually quite fair; however, that should be made clear when the rims/bike are dropped off at the shop and outlined in a quote prior to handing over the keys. Refusing to install tires purchased elsewhere is a little vindictive and unnecessary, but you should expect to pay a little more, as long as it's communicated to you when you drop off your rims/bike.

If you are calling for a "phone quote", always ensure that you make the details of the work very clear. Bike shops can be a crazy place during peak season and staff are often overwhelmed. In a perfect world they should triple their counter and technical staff in April only to lay off 2/3 of them in September, but that is not a fair or sustainable model, nor is it possible given the lack of willing "talent" available for hire in the industry.

Reactions: TK4
Small businesses, which describes a lot of motorcycle repair facilities, have the right to fire customers within a given context.
We don't know what lead up to the question, we only know the result.
There are a lot of Karens and Todds out there, on both sides of the service counter.
"Todds"? For some reason I thought the male equivalent should be "Stephan".

• Haha
Reactions: TK4

Back
Top Bottom