IP blocked? | GTAMotorcycle.com

IP blocked?

TwistedKestrel

King of GTAM
Site Supporter
I can't pull up GTAM at work anymore, but it appears that this is a problem at the far end and not it being blocked here. A traceroute gets as far as Liquid Web's network then it dies off. Anything going on?

Most likely a proxy being blocked. One thing that had me "banned" was using Opera Turbo (since then, the feature has been permanently shut off).

Bam, works again.

It could have been a proxy thing, but wouldn't ICMP still get through in that case? Pings still should have worked.

If you were IP blocked then even ICMPs wouldn't get through. It's one of the ways to deal with less elegant (ie. fixed IP) DOS attacks.

If your work is a large org, there could have been more then one person at work using the site. Person was a ******, blocked account and IP (you will both only have one public IP address showing for outbound traffic)

If you were IP blocked then even ICMPs wouldn't get through. It's one of the ways to deal with less elegant (ie. fixed IP) DOS attacks.

Right, that's what I'm saying - I don't think it was a proxy issue, because I could not ping GTAM.

If your work is a large org, there could have been more then one person at work using the site. Person was a ******, blocked account and IP (you will both only have one public IP address showing for outbound traffic)

It's a huge org, there is a pool of public IPs but it seemed like the whole range was blocked ... which would be odd for just GTAM but not if it was done by GTAM's webhosting themselves for whatever reason.

I had the same thing happen to me last year. I just reset my modem and changed my router's MAC address and Rogers (at the time) gave me a new IP address. Everything worked fine after.

Right, that's what I'm saying - I don't think it was a proxy issue, because I could not ping GTAM.

Did you verify that the IPs being routed to, for GTA, were the same at work and home? I don't know how Paul has the server set up but it's conceivable that there was an IP change, to the site, and your work network is running an independent DNS. The updates might not be all that "timely."

Did you verify that the IPs being routed to, for GTA, were the same at work and home? I don't know how Paul has the server set up but it's conceivable that there was an IP change, to the site, and your work network is running an independent DNS. The updates might not be all that "timely."

Ah - I hadn't thought of that. Seems the most likely explanation to me. If true though, good gravy does it take a long time for DNS updates to propagate to their server.

Back
Top Bottom