Insuring Multiple Motorcycles | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Insuring Multiple Motorcycles

If you go this route make sure your property insurance covers theft/fire on the bike(s) that you currently aren't insuring through your auto.

I can't remember if I was with State Farm or converted to Desjardins at the time, but my agent told me my home insurance does not cover a vehicle, even if it's inside the house, nevermind the garage. If yours does, please let me know which one. I have searched high and low for any insurer that can cover the bikes I don't ride on the street for fire/theft. I do have one grandfathered policy from State Farm for one of my Hawks that was "parked" (suspended liability, accident benefits, etc. but kept fire/theft/vandalism) and never put back on the street, so at least it's covered.

I can't remember if I was with State Farm or converted to Desjardins at the time, but my agent told me my home insurance does not cover a vehicle, even if it's inside the house, nevermind the garage. If yours does, please let me know which one. I have searched high and low for any insurer that can cover the bikes I don't ride on the street for fire/theft. I do have one grandfathered policy from State Farm for one of my Hawks that was "parked" (suspended liability, accident benefits, etc. but kept fire/theft/vandalism) and never put back on the street, so at least it's covered.
FWIW TDMM sent me a certified letter cancelling the policy on a vehicle I left "parked" for too long. Apparently they need liability on for at least four months every year but only occasionally audit their files to see who has been parked too long. Once they flag your file, there is no way to keep that vehicle insured with them, it is out. If you want it back in, you need to reapply, get a new appraisal . . . .

I guess we’ll see with Desjardins, but it’s been “parked” for 3 years so far. My agent said if I try to make any changes to that policy the system will automatically add liability back on and I lose the grandfathering. 2 years ago when I wanted to ride it, I bought a separate policy with TD, but didn’t renew after that so now it sits, still covered by Desjardins (Certas actually).

I guess we’ll see with Desjardins, but it’s been “parked” for 3 years so far. My agent said if I try to make any changes to that policy the system will automatically add liability back on and I lose the grandfathering. 2 years ago when I wanted to ride it, I bought a separate policy with TD, but didn’t renew after that so now it sits, still covered by Desjardins (Certas actually).

Desjardins/Certas is now part of State Farm. We'll see if anything changes when I try to insure the 1981 Yamaha.

Desjardins/Certas is now part of State Farm. We'll see if anything changes when I try to insure the 1981 Yamaha.

My understanding is that State Farm sold its Canadian insurance business to Desjardins. My State Farm agent is now a Desjardins agent. But my pink slips say Certas as the insurer. Talk about confusing.

Reactions: TK4
My house insurance does NOT cover the vehicles inside the garage. I asked, so now I pay for fire/theft while the car is parked for the winter.

Back
Top Bottom