Insuring Multiple Motorcycles | GTAMotorcycle.com

Insuring Multiple Motorcycles

TheMenacE

I currently have a vstrom to 2up and am looking to insure a grom for ripping around the city.

Someone recently posted that they have multiple motorcycles. But not all of them are insured. He rides motorcycle A, and then when he wants to ride motorcycle B, he calls his insurance company and they switch it the coverage so that motorcycle A is no longer insured, and how motorcycle B is insured.

Does anyone have experience or tips to insuring two bikes at the same time? Or know which insurance company allows the rider to switch between different bikes?

All help is appreciated

Last edited:
I currently have a vstrom to 2up and am looking to insure a grom for ripping around the city.

I remember there was a post that said an insurance company would let the rider switch between multiple bikes that he had; all while only having one policy. I tried searching but I couldn't find anything.

Does anyone have experience or tips to insuring two bikes at the same time? Or know which insurance company allows the rider to switch between different bikes?

All help is appreciated
You can insure as many motorcycles as you want with any insurance company under one policy number.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Fixed what I was trying to say
You want to transfer the liability between the bikes. If you're wanting to ride motorcycle A on Monday and Tuesday and switching to motorcycle B on Wednesday to Friday every week, they'll probably drop you as a client as the clerical work will be too much. There's probably a limit. If you're talking motorcycle A for June and motorcycle B for July, they'll probably play that game for you. The only definite way to know is to call them. TD gives you a discount on multiple motorcycles and if you are a college graduate another discount.

I see what you're trying to do here to save money, but I don't think there's any such thing as a floating insurance policy that you point to one of your bikes and instantly apply. It's a good thought tho!

Thanks for the clarification. There was a member that said their insurance company does it for him without any issues. Let's see if they chime in.

I appreciate the help

I have several motorcycles, I switch them periodically and have never had an issue. I have a A Vstrom and a handful of litre bikes, those I switch as they are about $75/mo each. I have done this with TD and Desjardins (direct insurers) -- I wouldn't do it thru a broker as they will get fed up with you. I also have a Suzuki 125, the it only costs $21/mo so I keep it insured at all times. A Grom shouldn't be in the same price category -- probably not worth your hassle to switch ever time you want to change rides.

My insurer did it for me, but wasn't as smooth as they made it seem when I signed up and I asked that specific question.

They will do it but don't like to. The rep didn't say it but hinted that if I did it too often there might be an issue. They also wanted an explanation as to why, and "because I want to" isn't the answer they want to hear, lol.

I have several motorcycles, I switch them periodically and have never had an issue. I have a A Vstrom and a handful of litre bikes, those I switch as they are about $75/mo each. I have done this with TD and Desjardins (direct insurers) -- I wouldn't do it thru a broker as they will get fed up with you. I also have a Suzuki 125, the it only costs $21/mo so I keep it insured at all times. A Grom shouldn't be in the same price category -- probably not worth your hassle to switch ever time you want to change rides.

Thanks for the info. The vstrom and the grom are surprisingly close in premiums, around $15 difference per month.

In your case, how long did it usually take for them to change your policy? Is it immediate, or do you have to wait a couple days?

My insurer did it for me, but wasn't as smooth as they made it seem when I signed up and I asked that specific question.

They will do it but don't like to. The rep didn't say it but hinted that if I did it too often there might be an issue. They also wanted an explanation as to why, and "because I want to" isn't the answer they want to hear, lol.

Thanks for the reply.

How many times a year would you say you changed the policy over to the other bike?

Which insurance company are you with?

I was with Desjardins till 3 years ago, I switched to TD when I bought a Hayabusa -- Desjardins wouldn't cover that bike. Last year I switched 7 times on 4 big bikes (DL650, FJR, GL1000 and XV920R). As I mentioned before, I left the insurance on the 125 all year -- for $240/year it wasn't worth switching.

Thanks for the reply.

How many times a year would you say you changed the policy over to the other bike?

Which insurance company are you with?

I did it twice this past season. Someone mentioned not to do it through a broker, which I did and that's probably why the reluctance from the rep. Maybe the rep was having a bad day, who knows...

I'm insured with Echelon through Riders Plus.

It used to be (in the good ole days), that you would buy one primary policy and each additional motorcycle would cost you an extra $50 or so...after all, you only need one blanket liability policy and you are swearing to only you riding your motorcycles. How can you ride more than one motorcycle at a time? Why the need for multiple liability policies? The insurance industry needs to answer to this obvious fraud.

How does this work if bike A is a regular street bike and bike B is a super sport ? Will you have to pay extra premium for the switch to bike B ?
They switch the premium/rate every time you change a bike. For example, I usually ride a Vstrom at about $55/mo, when I change to an FJR it goes to $75/mo. Every Oct 1st I add all my bikes as the prorate scheme they use makes insuring from Oct to April about $40/bike. That way I can ride any of them without switching from Oct 1 to April 1 for pennies a day -- it also protects them against theft/fire over the winter.

As Mad Mike said your rate changes with the bike. I pay my ins. in full one payment, mine renews in feb. so i put ins. on the 250 until i want to ride the gsxr. I change multiple times a year. When I ins. gsxr it is insured before i hang up the phone and i get a bill in the mail for the difference. When I swap back i get a refund cheque in the mail . I have done this with TD and statefarm.

If you go this route make sure your property insurance covers theft/fire on the bike(s) that you currently aren't insuring through your auto.
Are they swapping all coverage or just liability and leaving fire/theft active on all bikes?

I think this is the post the OP was originally referring to:

I don't bother keeping full time insurance on my antique bikes, my insurer lets me call and swap bikes whenever I want. This works for me as I never have a situation where 2 bikes are being ridden at the same time, I'm the only rider.

I keep my extra bikes in my locked garage, my insurer has them listed as property covered for fire and theft under my home insurance.

Not sure if you can swap liability only as you suggested... maybe Mad Mike can comment?

Back
Top Bottom