Insurance on bikes that are 30 + years old | GTAMotorcycle.com

Insurance on bikes that are 30 + years old

damnbiker

So i just got insurnace on a couple of bikes yesterday and the agent told me that they do not isnure bikes that are 30 or more years old. I have one that is 27 now, does anyone know of a company that insures classic bikes? What are the rates like? I'd hate to have to part with a bike because the insurance costs are prohibitive.

So i just got insurnace on a couple of bikes yesterday and the agent told me that they do not isnure bikes that are 30 or more years old. I have one that is 27 now, does anyone know of a company that insures classic bikes? What are the rates like? I'd hate to have to part with a bike because the insurance costs are prohibitive.

What is the intended usage of the bike? Is it more of a show/collector bike, or will you be riding it to work and that sort of thing?

Last edited:
What is th intended usage of the bike? Is it more of a show/collector bike, or will you be riding it to work and that sort of thing?

It's certainly not going to be a collector's item. I just bought an '86 Yamaha Venture and in about 6 years time, if I still have the bike, my insurance won't cover it. I can't say that I believe I'll still have my Venture by then, but there are so many great mid eighties bikes still around, I'm pretty sure I'll be able to find another low mileage tourer for cheap. I'd like to be able to get insurance for it or, keep insurance on my Venture. I'd also like to get an older naked Goldwing at some point, just for giggles.

It's certainly not going to be a collector's item. I just bought an '86 Yamaha Venture and in about 6 years time, if I still have the bike, my insurance won't cover it. I can't say that I believe I'll still have my Venture by then, but there are so many great mid eighties bikes still around, I'm pretty sure I'll be able to find another low mileage tourer for cheap. I'd like to be able to get insurance for it or, keep insurance on my Venture. I'd also like to get an older naked Goldwing at some point, just for giggles.

So you absolutely won't be riding the bike to work under any circumstances? Mileage will be very limited (say, 2000kms a season)? It is essentially a weekend rider?

So you absolutely won't be riding the bike to work under any circumstances? Mileage will be very limited (say, 2000kms a season)? It is essentially a weekend rider?

I'd probably do closer to 15000 km a year on it. Some commuting, some weekends.

I'd probably do closer to 15000 km a year on it. Some commuting, some weekends.

If you had VERY limited usage (and no commuting), then you could have got a classic/antique policy on it, but at 15,000 kms a year definitely wouldn't qualify.

I've got a bike over 30 years old insured with Wawanesa...I've put close to 10,000kms on it this season. I pay <$600 and that was my rate with NO prior motorcycle insurance.

I insured my 1975 CB200t with Jevco this past spring. No problems about it's age.

Same here. Dalton Timmis (who is broker for Jevco) insures my 1960 CB350. No of the big companies would even touch it.

I call it the 30/30 rule,, it seems if YOU are under 30,, and the BIKE is over 30 yrs old.. then they don't offer insurance..
are you 30 ? damnbiker

Same here. Dalton Timmis (who is broker for Jevco) insures my 1960 CB350. No of the big companies would even touch it.

Same situation in an 81 cb750f. Age of my bike was never brought into question. My insurance price is in the middle. About $1300 for basic. I'm 29 untill November, riding for 10 years now just to give you an idea.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom