Insurance & Motorcycle recommendations (20 Years Old, M2) | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Insurance & Motorcycle recommendations (20 Years Old, M2)

I keep hearing cruisers are cheaper to insure, but not for me for some reason.

I got my M2 June 2018, spent my first season with Aviva at $780/yr on the ninja 300. Bought the vfr800 in October 2018 and RP wanted $1300/yr for that, $700 for the ninja and $1700 for both. The cheapest cruiser quote from RP was for a shadow 750, at just over $1500. Vulcan 900 was around $1800 and a vstar 1100 came in at $2100! I don't understand why RP would charge more for a cruiser with 50ish HP while a vfr with more than double that power was less.

Back to TD, they were completely out to lunch on rates. They quoted me $2800 for the vfr and $1100 for the 300, when I laughed and told him RPs rate, he played it off and emailed me an application anyway. Thick. I will shop with them again though once I secure my full M license and see if what people are saying here holds true for me.

Last edited:
when I went from a 2006 Harley Road Glide (1400cc) minivan fast, to an absolute rocket of an adventure bike 2015 ktm 1190 adventure my insurance dropped hundreds a year. based mostly on the engine size And part because I had 1 more year under my belt.
cruisers tend to be cheaper but then also generally they have larger displacement bringing the rate back up.

At first this really bothered me. But then I thought about it from a risk factor.
my Harley for example
It’s not uncommon for guys in their late 40’s to 50’s to buy a big ass Harley with expensive paint. Because it’s a dream and I can.
It’s a big bike and when it falls over more likely to damage expensive paint or chrome.
It’s a big bike so personal injury is more likely.
Older demographic less likely to brush off light drop for the bike or personal injury.
So although it’s slow
Its heavy, handles like crap, doesn’t stop, often ridden by older riders, expensive to purchase or repair and has a high theft rate.
I wanted to repaint my front fender because of a stone chip on the Harley.
I dropped my Ktm twice in the first month of ownership and Blew it off as yup it’s an adventure bike it’s going to happen, it’s going to have scratches and war wounds.

As for sport/ sport touring
If you’ve proven to be a mature rider your insurance company can assume you have better brakes, better handling, and are more likely to avoid crashing. Thus less risk to them.
As for engine size you didn’t spend $25,000 on a 1200cc 160hp “touring” bike to go 80kmh did you. So you will pay a little more

SS 600
lets face it statistically it’s the boy racer crowd. A lot of new riders head straight for the R6 and ride like they stole it. Most will survive this phase but with this purchase you have outright told them your intent. Because that’s what the bike was made to do.

SS 1000+
your crazy and for that you must pay dearly

If you don’t fall in this generalization you probably bought the bike for its looks and don’t really ride it much and don’t put your insurance company at risk and don’t deserve to pay what your paying. In fact you are now there best customer. But you will still pay because the system is based on statistics.

Am I wrong?

I keep hearing cruisers are cheaper to insure, but not for me for some reason.

CC's rule the world in the world of motorcycles, not just horsepower. Well, and all the other stuff like repair costs, rider risk factors, theft risk factors, postal code, etc etc of course.

But in the end, many insurance companies still only look at CC's because bigger CC's in the cruiser world usually equals bigger bike and more skill to ride it and more risk of crashing it.

The key in the cruiser world is 600CC or under. Above 600 things start to get pricy for new riders.

The challenge is getting new riders to understand that their desires to own a big bore cruiser or a litre bike SS sport bike are not realistic unless they have deep pockets. I have a buddy who just bought a brand new 2020 Indian Roadmaster. But he started riding about 7 or 8 years ago and when we met 5 or 6 years ago he was riding a Honda Shadow, his first bike. When he had 5 years of experience he bought a Vstar 1100 as it was then much more affordable and rode that for a few years. Now, with nearly a decade of accident free motorcycle experience under his belt he's paying only $1100/year for full coverage on a $45K full dresser Roadmaster. The issue is...a lot of people just want to skip those intermedia steps and go straight to the bike of their dreams.

Makes sense, thank you for the explanation.

None of the bikes I got quoted on are anywhere near my dream bikes, lol. By the time I can get reasonable insurance on any of my dream bikes I'll probably be too old and sore to ride them. I don't really like riding cruisers, I like my feet under or behind me. Just got quotes on them as starter bikes because of what I had heard. Still can't believe how reasonable the rate is for my vfr, and I'll be more than happy to ride it for a while.

The vfr is a beautiful bike.
The general demographic for the vfr is that of the older sport bike rider. Thus more experience and or more mature. The guy that’s grown out of the boy racer phase and more into riding smarter. Obviously this is my take on why the rates would be cheaper on a vfr. Than say a smaller super sport.

The one that surprises me are the super moto bikes. They are purpose built hoonagan machines. I guess small displacement and if they crash they were likely doing something illegal so you just pick it up and carry on with no claim or record.

You should definitely check out Desjardins! They insured me for $1410 last year as a 23M M2 with no previous history.

I was able to upgrade to a SFV 650 Gladius this year with Dejardins for the same amount All State, TD, Riders Plus and Dalton Timmis were asking for a ninja 250.

You should definitely check out Desjardins! They insured me for $1410 last year as a 23M M2 with no previous history.

I was able to upgrade to a SFV 650 Gladius this year with Dejardins for the same amount All State, TD, Riders Plus and Dalton Timmis were asking for a ninja 250.
Every insurance company will quote differently. Few insurers want to be in the MC business, it's small and difficult to rate risk. Most offer MC policies because they need to in order to pickup auto and home policies.

I was with Desjardins for years, for new riders with clean abstracts they have decent pricing. I had to leave because they wouldn't insure my sport bikes. For me TD was comparable when I brought over my auto.

Pricing on MC insurance is hard to understand and in many cases doesn't make sense. It's that way because most insurers don't analyse MC risk like they do for cars. In fact some apply car demographics to MC pricing, for example a 55+year old married man driving a car is far less risky that a 22 year old man - as such car insurance for the 55 year old might be 1/2 the price. Turns out a 55+ year old MC riders is more likely to crash and generate a payout than a 22 year -- yet they still pay 1/2 -- because some use the intensively studied risk data they have for cars to price MC policies.

Finally was able to get a quote from TD, had a look at the email and sure enough said quote was without tax.
Ive never been quoted a premium that doesnt include tax. Rep didnt even mention this.

Finally was able to get a quote from TD, had a look at the email and sure enough said quote was without tax.
Ive never been quoted a premium that doesnt include tax. Rep didnt even mention this.
My online quote said the same thing
When I asked about it over the phone they said that price was all in.

I think it's just auto generated by mistake.

I started on a Crf250l for 4 seasons and it was a great bike. I highly recommend it. I was 24 when I bought it and was about 1200/year for insurance with Aviva. When I sold it last year it was 580/year with TD.

I called them back and they confirmed tax must be added to the quote.
Sent them an email and someone else confirmed the quote is with tax included already. TD is unprofessional. When you do an online quote or a quote over the phone they ask you are you a learner or fully licensed? To avoid confusion it should simply be: Do you currently possess an M2 or a full M license?

I figured I’d recommend Dejardins because I’m also under 25, didn’t bundle auto and can relate on how hard it was to find a reasonable rate for insurance.

TD, Aviva, Mitchell and Wale, All State and Dalton Timmis all asked for at least $2000 even with one year riding experience. Mitchell and Wale was the most expensive at $5300.

Every insurance company will quote differently. Few insurers want to be in the MC business, it's small and difficult to rate risk. Most offer MC policies because they need to in order to pickup auto and home policies.

I was with Desjardins for years, for new riders with clean abstracts they have decent pricing. I had to leave because they wouldn't insure my sport bikes. For me TD was comparable when I brought over my auto.

Pricing on MC insurance is hard to understand and in many cases doesn't make sense. It's that way because most insurers don't analyse MC risk like they do for cars. In fact some apply car demographics to MC pricing, for example a 55+year old married man driving a car is far less risky that a 22 year old man - as such car insurance for the 55 year old might be 1/2 the price. Turns out a 55+ year old MC riders is more likely to crash and generate a payout than a 22 year -- yet they still pay 1/2 -- because some use the intensively studied risk data they have for cars to price MC policies.

What was the name of the person that provided you with the quote from M&W? (1st name only is fine)

I figured I’d recommend Dejardins because I’m also under 25, didn’t bundle auto and can relate on how hard it was to find a reasonable rate for insurance.

TD, Aviva, Mitchell and Wale, All State and Dalton Timmis all asked for at least $2000 even with one year riding experience. Mitchell and Wale was the most expensive at $5300.

What was the name of the person that provided you with the quote from M&W? (1st name only is fine)
:LOL: are you going to give them a spanking or promote them?

Back
Top Bottom