Insurance & Motorcycle recommendations (20 Years Old, M2) | GTAMotorcycle.com

Insurance & Motorcycle recommendations (20 Years Old, M2)

Hello guys.

I am really looking forward to riding this season, I have some riding experience from when I learned how to ride on my CBR F4I but had to get rid of the bike because of insurance..

If you guys have any recommendations on fun motorcycles and affordable insurance, please let me know!
I am really interested in naked bikes!

Happy Easter!

Yamaha FZ6 (2004-2008, NOT the later FZ6R), sport touring inline 4 with detuned R6 engine, 97hp.
Insurance for me: Vaughan, 37, male, clean record, new rider, $95 per month, comp but no collision.
For a 600RR insurance was $500 or so a month irrc

Yamaha FZ6 (2004-2008, NOT the later FZ6R), sport touring inline 4 with detuned R6 engine, 97hp.
Insurance for me: Vaughan, 37, male, clean record, new rider, $95 per month, comp but no collision.
For a 600RR insurance was $500 or so a month irrc

Another vote for FZ6.
Try to find one that is converted to naked already, if you can.

Insurance is cheap.
My annual premium is $682. Full coverage, 2 mil, 300 deductible.

That ad has been there for some time now. Go check it out and be serious about it. Provided it all checks out OK. Offer your best price you can pay and take it home.

Last edited:
Since you're 20?

Anything small.

I picked up a wr250x supermoto as a second bike. Cheap for me to insure, but I've been riding for 20 years.

Ninja 300, or an r3 should be pretty insurance friendly.

Anything classified as "sport touring" may be exempt from the sport bike or supersport surcharge.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Since you're 20?

Anything small.

I picked up a wr250x supermoto as a second bike. Cheap for me to insure, but I've been riding for 20 years.

Ninja 300, or an r3 should be pretty insurance friendly.

Anything classified as "sport touring" may be exempt from the sport bike or supersport surcharge.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Barely broken in.

How many km did you put on the Honda? Insurance for young people on motorcycles is brutal. I would go 300 or less for a few years. They are fun, cheap to run, dont depreciate much if you buy them used and will probably save you almost enough on insurance over a few years to buy a new bike.

I'm going to guess you're not into the cruiser thing, but anything 600cc or under in the cruiser segment is just about the cheapest you'll ever find insurance.

On a second thought.
Try to stick to something like a 250 or 300 max.
Obvious reasons. Cheaper to buy, Cheaper to insure and are not as heavy of a bike.

The FZ6 I first recommended (on a biased opinion) is a heavier bike (somewhat). Over 400lbs wet.

You didn't specify your height/weight etc. If you are on the lighter side, you might find a bike like that hard to maneuver.
It would be easier to get a lighter bike to get back into the feeling of riding and handling a bike.

You can get fast quotes using that link. Its easy to change bikes to see the premiums.
From mine and my brothers experience they were 100% accurate.

My advice, having been in your position a year ago, would be to buy a low km R3 and learn on that. It should be a buyers market right now.
You could ride it this season and sell it for the same price next season if you get the right deal.

Good God, just for ***** and giggles I did a quote for my VN1700. $2149/year.

I'm paying $750/year with my current company.

Riders Plus is out to lunch.

At 20 you have a few years of dues to pay -- you need experience. The most economical will be 125/250s. These should be less than $200/mo -- maybe as low as $100/mo depending on where you live. My kid is 25, his insurance on a 250 Ninja is $900/year with an M and 8 years riding experience. For a 250 cruiser it drops to $80, and a 125 Enduro drops to $60/mo. Before he turned 25, it was about 50% more expensive.

I did it too, the RP quote
200 more per year for one bike
than I currently pay for 2

I also got quoted way more than TD is taking from me.

Strange, I was quoted more than double what I'm paying through RP by TD

FYI the quote online was accurate to the dollar for my premium.

TD is a direct insurer -- like the Personal and DesJardins. Rider's Choice is a broker -- if you're a decent rider with experience and clean record, direct insurers are usually a lot cheaper.

So, does this mean I'm a bad inexperienced rider because my premium is cheaper through a broker?

Sorry been drinking tonight, thought process is a bit askew...

Funny thing though, when I ran quotes for a few cruisers, 750 to 1100cc, rates through RP were similar to TD...maybe my bike fell through the cracks of their rating system?

Funny thing though, when I ran quotes for a few cruisers, 750 to 1100cc, rates through RP were similar to TD...maybe my bike fell through the cracks of their rating system?
Cruisers are always the cheapest. Easiest bikes to ride - a novice can start on 600-800. Inexpensive to fix or write off.

Good God, just for ***** and giggles I did a quote for my VN1700. $2149/year.

I'm paying $750/year with my current company.

Riders Plus is out to lunch.
As new riders they were the go to for me and my brother. I spent days calling around and they were by far the cheapest.
$72 bucks for R3 and then later on my first season $95 for the FZ6.
My brothers been riding since the fall, I think he pays $45 a month for his R3 because he is in Wasaga.
Either way good luck beating riders plus if you are a fairly new rider.

I tried getting a quote from TD on more than one occasion. They wanted me to jump through hoops and mail them forms and their underwriter would let me know in "5-6 weeks". First time Ive ever had this issue in almost 20 years of vehicle insurance. I know many members on here got immediate quotes with them. I guess they dont want my money and the tiny risk I pose. Clowns

I made the mistake of starting on a large displacement bike, and a Harley on top of that. My 2006 Harley Road Glide was quoted $4500 a year from my regular insurance company. Where Riders choice had me at just over $2500 for my first year. I only know because wifey had a **** fit at the time. I’m not sure about the second and third years as she just paid it when it came in and said it went down.
last year I finished my M license and switched bikes to a Ktm 1190 adventur, still with riders choice and insurance is down to $1400 yr. I thought that’s not bad all things considered. Big, fast, expensive bike, 43yr old, 5th year riding, 2 speeding tickets in the truck In last two years, 2 at fault accident in last ten years.

Back
Top Bottom