Insurance Idea GS500 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Insurance Idea GS500

VinterComes

Hey everyone,
I'm planning on getting a Suzuki GS 500 in the coming weeks. I am 19, almost 20. I have my G2 which I have had for 2 years or more, M2 since Jan 2019 and no tickets or anything. I'm calling some places to get quotes but I was hoping someone might be able to give me a ballpark range. I'd likely buy one that's a bit older and quite cheap since I'm on a budget.

Thanks a lot.

Nephew had one as his first ride and at the time insurance was reasonable fwiw.
Bike did not like the cold weather much unless he kept the battery perfect.

I personally think GS500Es are a great choice for a first bike, particularly if you want to learn to wrench on a bike - not that they are unreliable, far from it, but they are so simple mechanically that they are easy to understand. Can't give you a ballpark on it unfortunately, but any broker should be friendly to that bike.

GS500Fs, on the other hand... the fairings sit completely outside of the frame, so if the bike is ever dropped they are guaranteed to get crushed between the ground and the frame. The vast, vast majority of used GS500Fs will have cracked fairings, even if the seller if telling you otherwise.

Nephew had one as his first ride and at the time insurance was reasonable fwiw.
Bike did not like the cold weather much unless he kept the battery perfect.

They are jetted lean as **** from the factory, in later years lean enough to leave a handful of horses on the table. If it rained while I was riding, if I didn't put the choke back on when I came to a stop it would stall. Rejetting highly recommended

I'm thinking because of your age at minimum $2500ish. My fiance started on a suzuki vanvan 200 when she was 24 and was paying $1600. Now I think she pays around $750 for the same bike.

Use the Online quote system that TD offers. Its pretty accurate

There's a lot of variables OP so calling a broker is your best bet. My insurance history...cost is annual.

CBR125 - $640 - Toronto
CBR250 - $670 - Toronto
CB500F - $780 - Mississauga
Rebel 500 - $800 - Mississauga

First bike when I was around 32 or so, and the Rebel 500 sold last year.

Hey everyone,
I'm planning on getting a Suzuki GS 500 in the coming weeks. I am 19, almost 20. I have my G2 which I have had for 2 years or more, M2 since Jan 2019 and no tickets or anything. I'm calling some places to get quotes but I was hoping someone might be able to give me a ballpark range. I'd likely buy one that's a bit older and quite cheap since I'm on a budget.

Thanks a lot.
Budget and riding in this province do not go hand in hand. May want to look for a Grom or 300cc sport bike as I'm not sure how gun shy insurance would be to a 500cc for a young and new rider. Upside is you can likely resell for what you paid.

If I were to guess 2k+

My 2 cents, 500cc is way too much for a first bike --sport, naked, touring, cruiser -anything. People here may disagree, but there's value in starting out on a smaller displacement bike and working your way up to larger more powerful bikes. Ride a 300cc or less for a few years and I guarantee you'll have an incredible amount of context and appreciation hopping on a 500 or 600cc bike.

Sent from my SGH-M919V using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

My 2 cents, 500cc is way too much for a first bike --sport, naked, touring, cruiser -anything. People here may disagree, but there's value in starting out on a smaller displacement bike and working your way up to larger more powerful bikes. Ride a 300cc or less for a few years and I guarantee you'll have an incredible amount of context and appreciation hopping on a 500 or 600cc bike.

Sent from my SGH-M919V using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

The GS500 is 4 valve air cooled twin, not to mention that the throttle has so much travel it's practically a speed limiting device. Depending on the year, they made 40-51hp. A Ninja 300 makes 40hp. I understand where you're coming from, but it is not a high output design, and in my opinion absolutely suitable for a beginner.

Back
Top Bottom