Insurance for bike 30 years old or older | GTAMotorcycle.com

Insurance for bike 30 years old or older

Delboy

I have an 82 RD350LC that was on my regular policy as another bike. This was insured with Primumm. The problem this year is that they wont renew it as its more than 30 years old, its a pity as it was only costing me $128 a year. I'm going to run into the same problem next year with my 83 RZ.

Does anyone know of a company that will insure older bikes, or possibly offer classic/vintage insurance?

I know I can call around but I thought I'd ask to see if someone already had a policy like this.

BTW, my brother in law lives in Vancouver and can insure 6 bikes that were built in the 50's and 60's for less tha $100 a year, provided he does less that 1000km per year as they are classified as vintage. Gotta love government insurance :)

Thanks in advance.........

Many people with older bikes have had no problems with getting insurance through Jevco.

The classic/show bike insurance that you mentioned also exists here in Ontario. These Antique/Classic policies are very restrictive, but they are also very cheap. Since you're looking for a regular policy (i.e. you are not just riding your bike in shows and parades and stuff), then you wouldn't qualify for an Antique policy.

Many people with older bikes have had no problems with getting insurance through Jevco.

The classic/show bike insurance that you mentioned also exists here in Ontario. These Antique/Classic policies are very restrictive, but they are also very cheap. Since you're looking for a regular policy (i.e. you are not just riding your bike in shows and parades and stuff), then you wouldn't qualify for an Antique policy.

Thanks - I'll give Jevco a try. Someone also mentioned Aviva and SF. I probably do ~1000-2000k per year on it so it may be a little much to be considered a show bike.

I'd like to know as well as I've got a 1982 CB900F that costs $900 a year with SF

Dalton Timmis is the vintage bike insurer in Ontario, I believe.

Not sure how it works for bikes, but for cars the restrictions were not too bad.
The insured vehicle needs to be appraised, you need to buy full coverage, it can't be your daily runner to work and back etc. and it can't be heavily race modded.

Be sure to post up what you find, I will be looking for the same coverage later this year, .....I hope, if the wrenching goes well.

Dalton Timmis is the vintage bike insurer in Ontario, I believe.

Not sure how it works for bikes, but for cars the restrictions were not too bad.
The insured vehicle needs to be appraised, you need to buy full coverage, it can't be your daily runner to work and back etc. and it can't be heavily race modded.

Be sure to post up what you find, I will be looking for the same coverage later this year, .....I hope, if the wrenching goes well.

That sounds similar to the restrictions with my employer. Our rates are in the range of $250/yr for an antique vehicle worth $10,000. To paraphrase my employer's restrictions, our antique policies will only cover show/exhibition bikes that are NOT used for any form of regular transportation (such as a commute) and are NOT driven more than 3000km/yr. The vehicle must also be in original form (or at least VERY close to it) and requires an appraisal. I think you also have to be at least 30 years old to purchase an antique policy.

That sounds similar to the restrictions with my employer. Our rates are in the range of $250/yr for an antique vehicle worth $10,000. To paraphrase my employer's restrictions, our antique policies will only cover show/exhibition bikes that are NOT used for any form of regular transportation (such as a commute) and are NOT driven more than 3000km/yr. The vehicle must also be in original form (or at least VERY close to it) and requires an appraisal. I think you also have to be at least 30 years old to purchase an antique policy.

Who are you with? I am interested in making a list of companies to get quotes from... Somehow I think $900 a year is too much for my classic bike

Who are you with? I am interested in making a list of companies to get quotes from... Somehow I think $900 a year is too much for my classic bike

You can get an Antique/Classic policy such as this with pretty much any insurer. Is your bike a classic show bike, or just an old bike that you want to ride around? There's a difference.

You can get an Antique/Classic policy such as this with pretty much any insurer. Is your bike a classic show bike, or just an old bike that you want to ride around? There's a difference.

Its 100% all original 1982 Honda that runs great but I'll probably only put 3000k on it per year since I have another bike which is my main bike that I do maybe 5000-6000K's a year on it... I'd like to ride the honda to meets and do a couple of rides but I wouldn't use it for commuting.

Its 100% all original 1982 Honda that runs great but I'll probably only put 3000k on it per year since I have another bike which is my main bike that I do maybe 5000-6000K's a year on it... I'd like to ride the honda to meets and do a couple of rides but I wouldn't use it for commuting.

You can discuss it with the brokers/agents that you call to see if you meet the qualification then.

Back
Top Bottom