Insurance Discount for Bikes with Restrictor Kits? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Insurance Discount for Bikes with Restrictor Kits?

giesen

Site Supporter
Does any insurance company offer a discount for a bike with an (EU) restriction kit installed? I'm a new rider and I've been looking at a Ninja 400R for two reasons:

1) The 650R is much too powerful a bike for a beginner
2) The insurance on a 650R is killer for a new rider

But for $1000 more I can get a 650R and not have to worry about upgrading later (yes I know, typical newbie thinking). I could solve #1 by putting an EU restrictor kit on it (which will drop the bike from 72 HP to 33 HP, even lower than the 400R's 44 HP), but I'm wondering (I know it's a long shot) if any insurance company will offer a significant discount for having a restriction kit installed. That way, in a few seasons (when I'm more experienced) I could pull the kit off and take full advantage of the 650R.

Thoughts?

Note: I've also considered a 250R (and even sat on a few), but my 6'2", 220 lb frame has to be folded up like a card table to fit on it...

Restrictor kits are not common in Canada, so I highly doubt that any insurance company would have considered them when setting their rates. If you are serious about this, you would have to see if your broker could get the insurance company's underwriting to make an exception and rate your restricted bike at a lower displacement. Although this is possible, I doubt that you will find a company willing to make this exception unless you have other products (auto, home, etc.) already insured through them.

My suggestion -- just buy a 250/400/500, ride it a couple of years, and upgrade later. And FYI, I am taler myself and the Ninja 250 was much more comfortable and "roomy" than my current GSXR1000.

Back
Top Bottom