Insurance at 16? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Insurance at 16?

nikhil567

Hey riders,

So i am a new rider plan to get my m2 in july and so i have started my research to find a bike and to fins insurance. Now i've started looking pretty much everywhere for insurance as i have found a bike i intend on buying in the near future. The bikes i have in mind are honda cbr 125r, and kawasaki 250r. The honda is 08, and kawasaki is 03. Now i am 16 and im not able to find insurance anywhere. Everywhere i look is saying enter a valid birthdate (i am). Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

i assume you are trying to get an online quote, call them instead they dont provide online quotes for young riders. and be prepared for outrageous numbers!

I think your only option might be with the Facility Association for the first year - I've insured a few 16 and 17yr olds on their first year riding, and the price ends up being around $4000 - $5000 for the whole year for most bikes between 100cc - and 400cc. You would also have to make the full payment upfront in cash, money order, or online bank transfer - there are no monthly options.

Hey riders,

So i am a new rider plan to get my m2 in july and so i have started my research to find a bike and to fins insurance. Now i've started looking pretty much everywhere for insurance as i have found a bike i intend on buying in the near future. The bikes i have in mind are honda cbr 125r, and kawasaki 250r. The honda is 08, and kawasaki is 03. Now i am 16 and im not able to find insurance anywhere. Everywhere i look is saying enter a valid birthdate (i am). Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Don't blow 4-5g's a year on insurance. Think about it... up to $20g's wasted in 4 short years. That will be the biggest waste of cash of your life. You're 16. You have your whole life ahead of you. You will have lots of time to ride.

Wait it out.

I am 16 and Aleks insured me on my 2011 Ninja 400R. Called any insurance company I could find on google and they were either more or costed the same as Facility.

I think your only option might be with the Facility Association for the first year - I've insured a few 16 and 17yr olds on their first year riding, and the price ends up being around $4000 - $5000 for the whole year for most bikes between 100cc - and 400cc. You would also have to make the full payment upfront in cash, money order, or online bank transfer - there are no monthly options.
really that expensive even on a 125? wow thats really shocking. What if i waited till i was 17 to get a bike would my rates lower?

get your m2 and sit on it for a year! insurance will go down drastically (40% - 50%)

get your m2 and sit on it for a year! insurance will go down drastically (40% - 50%)

Wondering what the rates will be like since Jevco recently changed their rating system in March...
Probably will still be drastically lower than the first year.

Thats what my dad was saying :p but i really dont want to wait that extra year, i know it sounds pushy but i really wanna start riding asap. I dont want to start after i finish high school because i dont know whether ill still be in GTA area for university. So i really want to start riding so that i can get the feel of a bike, and ride whether i go to ottawa, BC, or even up north.

Thats what my dad was saying :p but i really dont want to wait that extra year, i know it sounds pushy but i really wanna start riding asap. I dont want to start after i finish high school because i dont know whether ill still be in GTA area for university. So i really want to start riding so that i can get the feel of a bike, and ride whether i go to ottawa, BC, or even up north.

Thats the best part, you can go for long rides to and back home from university! lol

Maybe when u move out of GTA you could afford insurance. Too much here if you're under 20.

No 20. My ss was insured for $1500/years at the age of 22. IMO that was reasonable

Man, things have changed a lot in the past 15 years. When I was 18, I had a Nighthawk 250 and a Dodge Daytona (2 door, "sporty" car) insured in my name and paid $198/mo for both.

I'm 19 now, and when I was 16 I insured a '84 500 interceptor for $3000 for the year. The only place that would cover me was called Nordic. Give them a call. Waiting a year won't drastically change your insurance. If you're under 25 it doesn't even matter if you have your full M.

Don't blow 4-5g's a year on insurance. Think about it... up to $20g's wasted in 4 short years. That will be the biggest waste of cash of your life. You're 16. You have your whole life ahead of you. You will have lots of time to ride.

Wait it out.

I agree 100% -- there are MUCH better uses of money at 16yo than a motorcycle. The OP should be focusing on saving money for tuition, not a bike.

Riding in Toronto sucks. Wherever you end up for school will be equal or significantly better for riding. There are too many idiots on the Toronto roads that put biker lives in danger. I avoid Toronto (and especially the 401) on my bike whenever I can.

Back
Top Bottom