Inflation | Page 30 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Inflation

Thanks for the explanation, very helpful. I still don't like it... :LOL::cautious:
Ours in Mississauga went up 6.1% for the year...fun times. Everybody wants a cut of our paycheques.

I understand the need to increase...but effing hell. Eventually something's gotta give. I fully expect another rate hike this month.

Ours in Mississauga went up 6.1% for the year...fun times. Everybody wants a cut of our paycheques.

I understand the need to increase...but effing hell. Eventually something's gotta give. I fully expect another rate hike this month.
I'm less concerned about the x% yearly rate increase than I am MPAC cycle. Similar houses on similar lots but new are paying about 25% more property tax than I am. Interesting, their assessed value is lower than mine, lower than what they paid by ~25% and lower than market value by seven figures.

I'm less concerned about the x% yearly rate increase than I am MPAC cycle. Similar houses on similar lots but new are paying about 25% more property tax than I am. Interesting, their assessed value is lower than mine, lower than what they paid by ~25% and lower than market value by seven figures.
I think my place is assessed at approx 700k...I bought for 970k and it's in the 1.4-1.5M ballpark now...

Market value assessment is IMO another way to make taxation vague and therefore unaccountable. Property tax should be treated like an expense report, based on what the city spent to service your property.

Does it cost the city more to service your property of you have marble and granite?

How does market value and cost of your home impact how well the city services your property? As far as I know it's the same garbage crew, water main, and sewer.

edit: what @nobbie48 said

Market value assessment is IMO another way to make taxation vague and therefore unaccountable. Property tax should be treated like an expense report, based on what the city spent to service your property.

Does it cost the city more to service your property of you have marble and granite?
City doesn't care what it costs to service your property. They want to spend X, they use property value to determine the percentage of X that you have to pay.

Last edited:

Property tax is proportional, meaning it's levied proportionally against the value of your home. Municipalities don't allocate costs to specific homs or neighborhoods for tax purposes. Folks that pay high property taxes often consume the least resources - they still have to pay their proportional share.

If your house is 1% of the value of all properties in the municipal area, you will pay 1% of the municipal budget in property tax.

Looks like we are not done with inflation yet. Been noticing food prices slowly starting to creep up again over the past few weeks. Today they took down price point signs at the meat section at No Frills, so I suspect more increases are going to happen there. Should be a fun winter for food pricing.

I'm sure our gov is working tirelessly to solve this, you know with carbon taxes, and raising interest rates. :rolleyes:
/venting

How does market value and cost of your home impact how well the city services your property? As far as I know it's the same garbage crew, water main, and sewer.

edit: what @nobbie48 said
Property tax is a progressive type. Generally speaking progressive taxes assume the more you make or the more you own the more you can afford to pay.

Robin Hood approved.

I'm sure our gov is working tirelessly to solve this, you know with carbon taxes, and raising interest rates. :rolleyes:
/venting
When I lived in California I had to pay property tax on my cars, 2% of assessed value to get your annual sticker

In 1995 I got shocked when I first registered our cars, expecting to pay $39 for each sticker the gal behind the counter says “$2450 please, cash or credit card?”

We should do that here for EVs as they have exemptions from fuel & carbon tax.

When I lived in California I had to pay property tax on my cars, 2% of assessed value to get your annual sticker

In 1995 I got shocked when I first registered our cars, expecting to pay $39 for each sticker the gal behind the counter says “$2450 please, cash or credit card?”

We should do that here for EVs as they have exemptions from fuel & carbon tax.
I think some jurisdictions in the US do this. EVs get a charge annually depending on kms travelled as they don’t pay gas tax.

Makes sense considering they douse the roads, just a matter of time before it comes here as adoption continues.

We need an organized grocery protest . The govt cannot do anything about pricing. We pick a week and buy zero chicken, then a week and buy zero eggs . Let the grocers work around excess inventory and maybe they get the idea . Will never work and the inventory costs will be passed on to the consumer. Time to plant a victory garden …..

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Or raise chickens
My neighbour was going to raise chickens. We couldn't figure out why she needed a rooster. It crowed ALL THE TIME.
Well it turns out the chicks she got were mostly roosters. She already had nine in the freezer.
Now I miss the crowing.

My neighbour was going to raise chickens. We couldn't figure out why she needed a rooster. It crowed ALL THE TIME.
Well it turns out the chicks she got were mostly roosters. She already had nine in the freezer.
Now I miss the crowing.
Guy nearby had 5 chickens, local PPC member. Someone ratted him out and City inspectors came by and shut him down very quickly.

Friend of ours a few blocks away also had some, but he gave it up because it was too much work compared to the actual eggs he was able to get.

He killed the ones he had, and ended up with delicious chicken for last winter.

Guy nearby had 5 chickens, local PPC member. Someone ratted him out and City inspectors came by and shut him down very quickly.

Friend of ours a few blocks away also had some, but he gave it up because it was too much work compared to the actual eggs he was able to get.

He killed the ones he had, and ended up with delicious chicken for last winter.
For single serving pot pies use pigeons.

Now I miss the crowing.
My wife says “Typical males. Lots of noise, no production and worth more dead than alive.”

Back
Top Bottom