In case you were wondering about those big scoots..... | Page 9 | GTAMotorcycle.com

In case you were wondering about those big scoots.....

The line is blurred between big scoots and something like the NC700x and the big Aprilla as well.
Both have storage and automatic transmissions.
The Burgman is geared to touring - the X will do a bit more dual sport which I do in Aus on a KLR650.

If you've never spun a sports auto bike through the twisties you don't know what you are missing. It's moving that way, it's way easier on my hands and in traffic yet I don't miss a thing in the twisties - in fact it lets me concentrate on handling and braking never giving a thought to shifting.

As I mentioned early in the this thread sports autos are coming on big time and will bring more riders in and keep riders with damaged hands like me riding longer.

Value looks good on the NC700x and some features I like. Mind you 350 lazy ks today ( lots of photo shooting ) over 8 hours and no pain - the Burgman is pretty comfie.

Comes with automatic and abs only if you pay an extra 2000.

Comes with automatic and abs only if you pay an extra 2000.

And only if you live in the USA
Canada gets only the 6 speed manual transmission (no optional automatic)

And look at the friggin' prices:

Here, NC700x with ABS is $9,000 canadian
In the USA, same bike with abs AND automatic, $9,000 american

Arrgghh

CH250 Elite. CM400 Hondamatic. I'm not the rider I was, back then. I enjoy shifting. Automatic is for transportation.

At the same time, automatic transmissions are not what they used to be.
;)
Perhaps it is time you give them another chance?

Example, I am amazed at modern Piaggio / Vespa transmissions: how well they work, the reliability, how compact they are, etc.

The new NC700 bikes come with (arguable) one of the most advanced automatic transmission in the world. For the price ($9k in the USA) it represents good value

At the same time, automatic transmissions are not what they used to be.
;)
Perhaps it is time you give them another chance?

Example, I am amazed at modern Piaggio / Vespa transmissions: how well they work, the reliability, how compact they are, etc.

The new NC700 bikes come with (arguable) one of the most advanced automatic transmission in the world. For the price ($9k in the USA) it represents good value

"Most advanced" is nice, and all, but as I stated for me part of the fun of riding is changing gears. I'm unlikely to go auto for that reason. My cars have all been automatic though.

(The CM belonged to a friend)

Yep - time to renew your information base Rob.
The VFR1200 standard tranny owner that took the DCT for a ride for a day came back and said he wished he'd bought the automation.

Just as sport automatics have moved into high sports cars is a direction the mcycle world is moving as well. Roll and go and it gives you huge flexibility from manual ( button shift ) to commuting to sports which shifts not only the gearing but several other performance aspects at the same time.

Meet me at the Forks and take the 650 for an hour. Without the sports aspect I would tend to agree with you.
When you dial in the Power button the world changes in terms of available performance and because the weight is way down low on these they are nimble for their weight.

The Burgman 650 is a cross between a scooter, Goldwing and bullet bike. It's fast, comfortable and very manuverable. Braking is outstanding. Storage is terrific. I've owned many, many bikes of all brands and models, but the Burgman 650 is the best two wheeled vehicle I've ever owned.

I would agree. These Canadian reviewers were also shocked at the handling and the fun factor.

http://www.onewheeldrive.net/2006/10/04/scoot-touring-the-honda-silverwing-and-suzuki-burgman/

snip
Giovanni Di Marino is accompanying us astride my own VFR800 and it seems these “scooters” may have taken him by surprise on the Duffy’s chop and bump.

In the twists the Burgman, surprisingly despite its mass, is having an easier time of it, with its power mode Kevin can make better use of the engine’s compression braking and then torque out of the corners with better pickup. If this were a race, rather than a frolic there would be no losing the Suzuki.

Eventually things settle down and we pull into a rest stop for a bike switch, gales of laughter, and conversation as to how the scooters, an advised use of the term, fare when thoroughly “tested”. Giovanni puts it best, “I’m shocked. I’d say you were doing 80% of a sportbike’s pace.

Same thing occurred on the way to the Forks the other day - happened to pull in behind a couple of bikes ( they thought I was a cop at first ) and we sort of boogied through that bit of twistie on King Road and then accelerated on Mississauga north and the 650 had no trouble keeping up.

When we pulled into the coffee shop they were surprised it was a scoot and had lots of questions about top speed etc and I was surprised the one was a VFR800 which is one of the few bikes I'd consider as an alternative.

Once you get used to never having to think about shifting and having brakes in both hands it's a whole new world of concentrating on braking, cornering and roll and go out of any twist.
I had no idea when I got into the genre that the twistie performance ( and quite frankly off the line - 0-100 is 4.6 or so and it's not much dependent on rider skill as much as the ECVT ) would be so much fun.

That big Aprilla 850 crossover between maxi and motorcycle would give any sports bike a run.
You get the fun of great twisty performance and the ease of an automatic around town and commuting.

Sorry, but nothing said here does anything to alter my statement that I enjoy the act of shifting. It doesn't matter that the technology has advanced or even that it would shift more effectively than I do. I enjoy it. It's part of my experience, on a motorcycle.

Shifting is not something I think about, and its something I like and prefer. Same with cars, though if I was sitting in rush hour traffic in T.O. I would want an automatic just to save clutching in and out for stand still traffic. I don't live there, so have no care for anything automatic. On my GSA, braking is great, and one linked hand brake does it all.

Different strokes for different folks, I personally have no interest in an automatic motorcycle.

Fair enough - you just don't have relevant experience for current machines.
This poster understands.

Years ago the Aprilia Mana (750cc w auto transmission) was tested on a track and with the vast majority of the riders it was destroying bikes with conventional transmissions. You don't realize how much time is lost around a track by being in the wrong gear, or when you are between gears and not accelerating. A electric bike with mountains of easily modulated torque and an automatic transmission (with properly setup suspension) may be untouchable at the track.

Rob, I would have agreed with your position BEFORE I got on the 650 - and like thousands of others I'd not go back except on a dual sport which I do in Australia.
In my view and that of many other it takes the riding fun up a notch in the twistes and is a hand and frustration saver in traffic.
It should bring more riders in as well and keep aging riders with hand issues riding longer.

Just the sheer enjoyment of having dual ranges of performance is a superb move forward in motorcycling. I notice some of the upper end muscle cars are using the same idea to radically alter performance from docile to fire breathing as with the all electronically controlled engines that becomes the push of a button.

I'm looking forward to even more of a transformer bike where not only performance but seating position and suspension can be altered electronically.
Already aside from the sport auto setting the Burgman can lower the windshield to a sport riding see over position and if you really want tuck in the mirrors electronically. ( bit much but they do push a lot of air ).

The other aspect is that the sports autos CAN be shifted manually tho after fooling around almost no one bothers except to force it into overdrive for mileage.

The Motogp bikes continue to be manually shifted, I don't think they will be going over to full auto's anytime soon.

The other aspect is that the sports autos CAN be shifted manually tho after fooling around almost no one bothers except to force it into overdrive for mileage.

I think it was a marketing move by Suzuki to help assure fence-sitters that the Big Burg wouldn't deprive them of manually shifting if they really enjoyed it. The truth is, almost nobody bothers (used it once myself just to see if it worked).

It's the dual nature of transmission that makes it so appealing. This demo rider found out..

They rolled it out of the showroom thru the front door. Brad warmed it up and put a plate on it. I mounted it and took off. I cannot believe how well the auto clutch engagement works! So smooth on takeoff you just can't imagine. It snapped thru some gears in D mode with zero feeling of it shifting. The biggest telltale was the clicking sound it made when it shifted.

I didn't goose it as I was on a side road. I only went a mile when the light went off in my head and I realized I felt like a hippo on a baby's bike. It may look big in the pictures but it gives me the feeling of sitting on a crotch high fence rail. I saw no use in continuing the ride or using up his gas and putting miles on a bike I could not own. I turned around at a driveway and headed back.

Switched to Sport mode. Gave it some fuel. WOW! That's the way every internal combustion engine should run!!!

I'm not sure what happened, it could have been cold, it could have been a hesitation in fuel mapping, it could have been doing its computerized shifting but after a rather long delay after cracking the throttle that SOB took off like a scalded cat. I could feel the back tire spinning on the asphalt ever so slightly as my hand grip increased 20 fold and my fat was rocketed thru 1st gear and part of 2nd. No wheelie to be had either just get with the program.

How do they build such a Jekyll/Hyde mannered machine.
So smooth, quiet, nimble, relaxed one second and a ferocious animal the next!
I rode Padden's hot rod BMW K1200R Sport and it was scary fast. I think this VFR could keep up or close to it. It was really a thrill for me to ride.

God, I hope Honda continues it's pursuit of the DCT. That engine and transmission are golden!

Look for a lot more development in the this aspect.

So smooth, quiet, nimble, relaxed one second and a ferocious animal the next!

to OP,

sorry if i've missed this info, but only went thru the first page of this thread. i was wondering for the burg 400:

- how many litres is the tank capacity?
- how many kilometers can it go on a full tank till empty?

i've been contemplating on getting a burgman myself and use it to tour down south of the border. i don't really want to saddle up my ride and use it for that purpose coz it does not get good mileage. i sat on a burg sometime ago and was surprised on how comfortable it is. i wanted to see how nice or bad the ride is but unfortunately, i wasn't able to take it for a test ride. but by the sound of it, it is a good bike.

There are a few GTAMers that run them, but going to the source will probably be more helpful: http://burgmanusa.com/forums/index.php.

Generally, the 400 is lighter, has a better fuel range and a larger trunk. It's still highway capable (2007 redesign is better + optional ABS), but not as good for heavier riders or 2up. The engine is a single, not a twin like the 650 and the transmission is a more conventional scooter variator w/belt drive setup (no electronics). The 650 uses a electronic CVT with a sealed gears final drive.

It's 6 of one and a half dozen of the other, really.

Not for the intended use in my view.
The 400 is really a local commuter and the belt requires changing every 20k. I'd never suggest touring on a 400 as a primary use. Local with minor trips sure.

They are a world of difference in tech and build. But by all means go to the Burgman site and ask..
Just ignore Daboo as he will be sure to chime in and he has never owned a 650.

650 is certainly the best all around bike I've owned in 43 years and many 650 owners will say the same.
What is your inseam tho??

Back
Top Bottom