In a post-apocalyptic world, what is your ride? | GTAMotorcycle.com

In a post-apocalyptic world, what is your ride?

Roadghost

What bike would you ride? The end of days has finally come. It is the Apocalypse. World governments have fallen, mass anarchy has taken over, civilization has broken down. The true second Dark Age has begun, a genuine Mad Max world ruled by warlords, despot gangs, and it's every man for himself. The only fuel available is what you can distill for yourself, or what you can scrounge up.

The only practical means of motor transport is going to be motorcycles. The roads have decayed, fuel is too scarce for 4-wheel drive vehicles, and besides, the roads are watched by roving highwaymen and gangs ready to prey on the weak. You have to be able to get away, off the roads, off the beaten track, to stay alive.

What motorcycle would you choose for the job?

None. Walk. If things have gone that bad, there will be too many obstacles and someone on foot can easily chase down and catch your motorcycle. Sad but true. Motor vehicles need space to get up to speed.

For those that want to test out their assumptions, the Darien gap isn't that far away. Make it across and I'll buy you a beer.

Probably an electric bike of sort and solar panels at my hiding. I think zero has dual sport version, so maybe that.

Or, an electric bicycle.

You wanna be silent when sneaking around to gather food and resources.

Probably an electric bike of sort and solar panels at my hiding. I think zero has dual sport version, so maybe that.

Or, an electric bicycle.

You wanna be silent when sneaking around to gather food and resources.

I thought about that too, but lion batteries have a limited life span. You could go with a bicycle. Horses would be food targets. But if you got 100 drums and fermented ethanol you could run a small, old carbed bike.

You would also have to form a tribe, or a gang and build a fortress. There's strength in numbers.

Death Stranding I think made a strong case for the utility of motorcycles in a post apocalyptic world. I don't see using a chiral printer to handily spit out a multi-mode, self charging electric bike being a thing anytime soon... I guess I'd shoot for a dual sport, air cooled, kick start? Like an early DR650 or something, for simpler maintenance. Or maybe it would be a better strategy to go for something like a KLX250 and just loot of couple of dealerships early on for spares - EFI bikes seem to be more tolerant of stale gas, which will definitely be a concern.

I can't help but keep thinking of a GS500E - it wouldn't do well without roads, but it is very utilitarian otherwise. Top tips in an apocalypse - you want a mid-life version, one with only two jet carbs and no TPS ignition advance. You will probably have to defeat the vacuum petcock... after that though, you should be solid.

d7b9he8-e3312a68-c581-4457-beca-e2346b22d20a.jpg

A VMax because of this.

And for anyone that doesn't know, that's a girl, and she's King Arthur.

Mine. Swap the wheels, extend the kickstand, 'n go.

Last edited:
Hate to burst your bubble but Post-Apocalyptic anything is just an oxymoron fairy tale designed to sell television advertising.

Been done

The Last Chase
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to navigationJump to search
The Last Chase
The Last chase poster.jpg
Theatrical poster
Directed byMartyn Burke
Produced byMartyn Burke
Gene Slott
Fran Rosati
William Duffy
Written byA. Roy Moore
C.R. O'Christopher
Starring
Music byGil Melle
Production
company
Distributed byCrown International Pictures
Release date
  • April 10, 1981
Running time101 minutes
Country
  • Canada
  • United States[1]
LanguageEnglish
The Last Chase is a 1981 Canadian-American dystopian science fiction film directed by Martyn Burke who was also the producer on the film, produced for Argosy Films. The film stars Lee Majors, Burgess Meredith and Chris Makepeace in a futuristic scenario about a former racing driver who reassembles his old Porsche and drives to California in a world where cars and motor vehicles of all kinds have been outlawed by the powers that be.[2]
Contents
Plot[edit]
In the year 2011, the United States is a police state. A substantial percentage of the population was wiped out by a devastating viral pandemic 20 years earlier. Amidst the resulting chaos and general panic, democracy collapsed and a totalitarian cabal seized power. After moving the seat of government to Boston, the new dictatorship outlawed ownership and use of all automobiles, boats and aircraft, on the pretext (later proven false) that an even bigger crisis, the exhaustion of fossil fuel supplies, was imminent. The loss of other personal freedoms followed, and surveillance cameras now monitor private citizens' every move.
In Boston, Franklyn Hart (Lee Majors), a former race car driver who lost his family to the plague, is a spokesman for the mass transit system. Publicly, he deplores the selfishness of private vehicle ownership and exalts the virtues of public transportation; privately, he is barely able to contain his contempt for the oppressive, autocratic bureaucracy and the dismal party line that he is compelled to promote.
Years before, as private vehicles were being confiscated, Hart sequestered his race car – an orange Porsche 917 CAN-AM roadster – in a secret compartment beneath his basement. Over the ensuing years he has gradually restored it to drivable condition, raiding long-abandoned junkyards in the dead of night for parts. His goal is to drive across the country to "Free California", an independent territory that has broken away from the rest of totalitarian America. Young electronics whiz Ring McCarthy (Chris Makepeace) deduces Hart's plan, and Hart reluctantly agrees to bring him along on his perilous journey.
The ubiquitous surveillance system catches Hart vaulting a junkyard fence; Hart and McCarthy flee Boston in the roadster as police close in. Although gasoline has not been sold for 20 years, Hart has access to a virtually inexhaustible supply, the residual fuel remaining at the bottom of subterranean storage tanks in every abandoned gas station in the country. He uses a portable hand pump to refuel from these tanks as necessary.
News of the duo's daring adventure spreads across the country. The government, represented by a Gestapo-like figure named Hawkins (George Touliatos) watches with growing concern as the public takes notice and cheers Hart's defiance of authority. Calls for a return to personal autonomy and democracy are heard, for the first time in two decades. Hart must be stopped; but ground pursuit is impossible, as the electric golf carts used by the police are incapable of chasing down a race car.
Hawkins orders J.G. Williams (Burgess Meredith), a retired Air Force pilot, to track down and destroy Hart and his car in a Korean War-vintage F-86 Sabre. He locates and strafes the car, wounding Hart. A community of armed rebels takes Hart and McCarthy in, hides the car, and treats Hart's wounds. A team of mercenaries soon locates and attacks the enclave, although Hart and McCarthy escape during the firefight.
Back on the open road, Williams once again has the roadster in his crosshairs; but now he is having second thoughts. As an old rebel himself, he is starting to identify with Hart's situation. Prodded by Hawkins, Williams initiates several more confrontations, but each time he backs off, to Hart's and McCarthy's bewilderment. McCarthy rigs a radio receiver and listens in on Williams's cockpit radio communications, then establishes a dialog with him using Morse code via a hand-held spotlight. Eventually Williams confides that he is sympathetic to their cause.
But Hawkins is also monitoring Williams's radio communications, and after learning of his change of heart, orders the activation of a Cold War-era laser cannon at a position ahead of Hart's route. Williams attempts to warn Hart, but his radio communications have been jammed. Williams releases his external fuel tanks ahead of the car, hoping the inferno will stop the car short of the cannon's range; but Hart, assuming Williams has changed allegiances yet again, drives on.
Williams strafes the laser, but cannot pierce its heavy armor; so he sacrifices himself in a kamikaze-style attack, destroying his jet and the laser installation. His sacrifice allows Hart and McCarthy to drive on toward California where they are welcomed as heroes.
Cast[edit]

How many local landmarks can you spot?

Last edited:
Hate to burst your bubble but Post-Apocalyptic anything is just an oxymoron fairy tale designed to sell television advertising.

Somewhat true, but dystopian novels run back to the 1800s before there was television. People didn't much believe in a worldwide pandemic either, but here we are, and should another more deadly one come along in a few months what then? Didn't take much for our parliament to dissolve and not show up for emergency votes.

Didn't take much for our parliament to dissolve and not show up for emergency votes.

They were leading by example by working from home.

I can't help but think you'd have to abandon the GL1200 the first time you get a flat rear tire

I think it goes without saying...

Attachments

• movie-bikes-walking-dead-daryl-s-triumph-full-29319.jpg
    movie-bikes-walking-dead-daryl-s-triumph-full-29319.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 18

Back
Top Bottom