Importing a Quebec vehicle to Ontario | GTAMotorcycle.com

Importing a Quebec vehicle to Ontario

Rossi86

Site Supporter
I've been looking in Quebec to buy my next car as the prices are cheaper by at least 2-3 grand. I'm having the car inspected by a mechanic friend at his shop before I make my way there to buy it. Just wanted to make sure I have the process correctly:
1) Go to the ministry of transportation in Quebec with current owner to do the transfer.
2) Don't pay the tax there and tell them it will be registered in Ontario.
3) Ask them for a temporary Quebec licence plate to drive the car here.

4) Get the car safety certified at an Ontario shop, or would a certification in Quebec be valid here as well?
5) Go to MTO to register it and plate it, pay only 8% portion of HST for out of province purchase.

Is the 8% tax on the blue book value or the actual purchase price in this case? For Ontario cars, you'd be charged the full 13% on the blue book value, even if you paid less on a private sale, unless you get it appraised at the purchase price or lower.

I've been looking in Quebec to buy my next car as the prices are cheaper by at least 2-3 grand. I'm having the car inspected by a mechanic friend at his shop before I make my way there to buy it. Just wanted to make sure I have the process correctly:
1) Go to the ministry of transportation in Quebec with current owner to do the transfer.
2) Don't pay the tax there and tell them it will be registered in Ontario.
3) Ask them for a temporary Quebec licence plate to drive the car here.

4) Get the car safety certified at an Ontario shop, or would a certification in Quebec be valid here as well?
5) Go to MTO to register it and plate it, pay only 8% portion of HST for out of province purchase.

Is the 8% tax on the blue book value or the actual purchase price in this case? For Ontario cars, you'd be charged the full 13% on the blue book value, even if you paid less on a private sale, unless you get it appraised at the purchase price or lower.
Be careful, Quebec is the mileage tampering capital of Canada.

The guy formerly known as Mladin.

Horse crap on avoiding buying from Quebec however just as usual buyer beware.

I like the part where you're going to transfer the ownership in PQ without paying taxes.
Let us know how that works out for ya.

I like the part where you're going to transfer the ownership in PQ without paying taxes.
Let us know how that works out for ya.
I haven't done this before, only going by what I read online, someone said you can pay the tax here. If you got nothing to contribute to help me with the process, then don't reply at all. Looking for actual advice, not smart mouth remarks.

@kurtrules did this recently, but IIRC, he had already paid the sales tax in Quebec and just registered the bike with the MTO when he brought it across.

You can PM him for more info.
I bought a race bike in Quebec a few years ago. Brought the bike with ownership here on a trailer. Registered it at MTO unfit without a safety certification as normal. Trying to register the car there so I can drive it back and go there only once. If I go there to get the ownership, leave the car there, register it here and get a temporary plate, it will solve everything by going twice.

If you register it in Quebec you will pay GST and PST there. Once you come to Ontario and register it you will pay the provincial portion of our HST. You can then apply for a refund on the Quebec PST, if you need the form let me know and I can try to find one.

The warnings earlier are fair. Lots of bad cars in Quebec but also good ones, no different then any other province or country really. A Quebec car will always be harder to sell and worth less here then a comparable Ontario car. I would probably only bother to do this if I wanted something very specific and hard to find.

From the looks of it, I'll have to go twice. First, buy the car and leave it at my friend's shop. Come back here to register it and get a temporary plate. Then go again another time to pick up the car

I bought my bike from a dealer in Terrebonne near Montreal, who dealt with all the paperwork. The dealer charged Ontario taxes (13%), provided a temporary permit and I rode it back home. I registered it at a Service Ontario in Perth on the way back home in the GTA.

Most likely, for a private sale, you'll have to pay taxes in Quebec, and apply for a refund of PST later on.

Last edited:
Can you have your friend buy the car for you (you can etransfer the seller), have the seller drive the car to your friend's garage and then your friend couriers you the paperwork?

Or maybe get the seller to apply for a 10-day trip permit from SAAQ for you so you can drive it to ON?
Looks like the seller can meet me in Cornwall, and we can do the transfer at the MTO there. I'll get a temp plate to drive it back

Back
Top Bottom