IF MC insurance was $400/yr, would you own more than one bike? | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

IF MC insurance was $400/yr, would you own more than one bike?

How are you guys getting these rates?
My bike is half the cc of yours and not a Harley
As far as age you and I are around the same (I think) and a few years to a decade older that unL33t

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

I strongly suggest that we all shop insurance companies. Last time I shopped I got over 10 complete quotes including spending 30 or so minutes with each potential provider/broker. A broker simply can't or doesn't work with several providers I know about. For me it was CUMIS that was by far the lowest price, like by 1/2. Mind you I'm "older/claims free/ticket free/married/multi policy/40 years riding" but even for me the rates are extremely varied. I can't stress strongly enough the importance of shopping your business around.

I agree insurance is a racket. A sad combination of soft, ill equipped, poorly motivated, misguided provincial politicians and a firm, strongly motivated, well organized, well equipped insurance lobby and industry on the whole. We are just fodder for their manipulation. We pay the highest prices globally for the least/most restrictive coverage with strict limits and no ability to mediate your claim to it's individual circumstances. Sad really.

My last suggestion would be to ride a DR650 or something small and easily insurable (stop buying Mercedes gas for your insurance provider). Ask your provider what's the cheapest bike to insure and go with that till you get old enough/claims free enough/ticket free enough/married enough for the low rates.. $ 400- $500 a year is doable, even here in Ontario..

As to several bikes I realize a need for several bikes, I'm a bit of a bad example because I sort of am always willing to buy a good/cheap used bike. Here in Ontario bikes are rarely used, we can find bikes 10 or more years old with 1 or 2 thousand KM on it selling for a song.. I usually have a dual purpose and a cruiser in the shed, one for fun and one for miles..

Anyways, rant over, I don't know everything I just think I do.. Ride safely and have fun.. ATTGAT!!

Have a summer car, winter car, road bike and dirt bike (this one is not insured). Have lots of options and don't want to pay more for insurance even if it is only $400. If I only had a road bike and nothing else, then yes I would likely want another road bike for $400 insurance. While most of us restrict ourselves to one wife for sanity's sake, most men can handle more than one vehicle (political wrongness/correctness notwithstanding).

How are you guys getting these rates?
Maybe I was misleading. My total insurance bill isn't $500/year... that's just the one bike for now. It's a 125. lol $40/month. Second bike (CBX) was quoted around $50/month. It's old as hell. That might help. The Personal is also pretty cheap.

My total for the following is currently $229/month living in Toronto. Haven't added the CBX yet.
- 1987 Porsche 944
- 2007 BMW X3
- 2009 Aprilia RS125

I was paying just over $300/yr when I had my Bandit 600. My ST1300 with full coverage is $1100. If insurance was just $400/yr I'd probably just enjoy the savings rather than get a second bike. I would take that $700/yr difference and spend it on gas, hotels and meals on the road rather than a 2nd bike. When you find that one bike that you really love you don't really want more bikes, just more time on that one bike!

I really wish an Insurance Company would step up and offer multi-bike packages in a more reasonable way. Like others have mentioned, I can only ride one of my bikes at once - so if I'm only interested in liability insurance for a 2nd or 3rd bike why should I have to pay more than I currently am?

For example, let's say Joe Smith is 25 years old, and has an r6 and pays $4,000/year for insurance. Now let's say he wants to buy a 2nd bike, one that is much less to insure (as a single bike) and considered "safer" in the insurer's eyes - let's say an older Honda XL250 or something and Joe wants liability only on this bike. Why should Joe have to pay an increased premium to insure both bikes since ANY seat-time he puts on the older Honda would be "less risky" than riding his r6 in the eyes of the insurer. If anything insurance companies should LOWER your premium if you buy a "safer" 2nd bike to add to your policy ;)

Have a summer car, winter car, road bike and dirt bike (this one is not insured).

I have exactly the same, except for the fact that I insure my dirt bike (classified as DS).
Just under $3,000 a year for everything. So not the greatest compared to other provinces and countries but looking at poor people in the GTA, I feel pretty good about it.

I had a 2006 VTX1300c paid $225 a year.
Sold it. Got a 2000 yanaha 1600cc paid $376 a year..now a 2014 Victory 1730cc paying $680 full coverage a year.

BTW...selling the yamaha..52000kms..
$4800..obo.
e6b0024c4461d63f1d01bbf69024fa75.jpg
4994ab4d59ee916cc602e4e3bd742538.jpg
19006ee78ca762001694b25608fa49ee.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

@Irishsix looking like my brother from another mother lol
Nice Victory!

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

Definitely. Multiple times the only thing stopping me from buying another bike is the insurance call.

I have two bikes insured right now and would have more if only paying $400. I'm paying $2200 combined for both bikes now (big adventure bike + blacklisted superbike) so it's a very good rate compared to most, but it's still over $2000 to ride for 6 months or less a year.

If I had the option to pay $400x3 ($1200) to ride three bikes, that would be almost half the price I'm paying now for two, so it would be a no brainer.

Back
Top Bottom