IF MC insurance was $400/yr, would you own more than one bike? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

IF MC insurance was $400/yr, would you own more than one bike?

I own a few now - different bikes for different applications.
Just for the bikes, I believe I'm sitting somewhere around $5000/yr

One thing people often overlook is the hassle of maintenance on all of the bikes; can be sometimes hard to keep track.

... but that's another topic for another thread lol

Paul South Aviva I think - if I added a second bike for half the year maybe $350 more.

$609 a year for a brand new CB500x

$1 million liability limit with a $500 deductible on both comprehensive (fire/theft/vandalism) and collision.

my 650 is only $550 a year. Don't see a need for more than one bike. Maybe an enduro down the road, but not anytime soon

I once had 3 bikes insured at the same time, FZ1, V-Strom, and KTM 625, I think the total bill was around $36-3700 for the year, $1600, $1000, $1100 respectively for each.

If the KTM was $400 to insure, I would have kept it. I barely rode it in the last season I had it, making it super hard to justify the $1100, but at $400 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I would be very careful with the "changing policies back and forth" routine to manage multiple bikes. Given how MC insurance is averaged over a full year, if one bike is significantly more expensive than another you may be switching to and from, you may end up receiving a bill at the end of the policy term for the difference. If both bikes are very similar in price it won't be an issue, but take note of the potential issue there.

I would be very careful with the "changing policies back and forth" routine to manage multiple bikes. Given how MC insurance is averaged over a full year, if one bike is significantly more expensive than another you may be switching to and from, you may end up receiving a bill at the end of the policy term for the difference. If both bikes are very similar in price it won't be an issue, but take note of the potential issue there.

I’d be ok with a system where you pay on the most expensive bike on the policy year round but can switch as desired

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

If insurance was much cheaper I would have kept my Harley Davidson Road Glide
Still bought my KTM 1190 Adventure
And I’ve always wanted an RC51

And as for the RC51 that one really is an insurance cost issue because the bike is very reasonable. But the insurance is to high for a bike I likely would only ride a couple 100km per year.

$400 a year seems like a dam dream, sign me up! I pay $1900 for liability only. I could pay for 5 years of insurance for what I am paying now.

As for owning a second bike. It would be nice, but I rather not out of principle. Because we all have been ****** by our government and the insurance industry. It's manditory for FFS and they are raking us over the coals with it. It's time for the consumer to have a win. Instead of more strings how about better rates and having the option of ONE policy and not being forced to pay separately for something you can't use at the same time.

I insure my 250, when i want a gsxr on the road i call, new policy and bill come in the mail. I pay the bill, when i put the 250 back on the road, new policy comes with a refund.

Paul South Aviva I think - if I added a second bike for half the year maybe $350 more.
How does one insure a bike for "half the year"? Six month policies aren't available. Premiums over 12 months are prorated; any refund for the winter months will be next to nothing.

via Tapatalk

They make the price adjustment in real time. If you have pre-auth debit, your next payment will be adjusted accordingly. If you prepay, it's a little more complicated as your premium is settled ever time you switch.

Some insurers will cover you for a short period of time at no charge if you have an existing policy. I found this out when I bought my last bike, I asked them to insure the bike for 2 days because I had to ride it back from Cornwall -- they did it at no charge for 48hrs, any longer and I would have had to pay. I also did this with a project Jeep I bought in London.

Mine is less than $400
I don't have 2

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

Mine's around $500/yr and I bought a second last year. Also have 2 cars. All just for me.

I'd like to have two; the Aprilia as a fair-weather scalpel and a DRZ400SM or similar for more casual hacking around.

My problem is more one of space and storage than of insurance costs. That could change at any time in this arbitrary insurance climate of course...

On a second bike the policy was prorated to Feb.
July - Feb ended up about $350 for the period - I have also switched bikes back and forth
Speak to Chris South

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom