ICON Helmets | GTAMotorcycle.com

ICON Helmets

2smokewilleh

Site Supporter
So I picked up a new ICON Alliance flat-black helmet this weekend down at Clares ($160 taxes in on sale) intended as a replacement for my ageing KBC helmet.. Felt really comfortable in the store, good fit, nice options, venting looked good and I like the locking visor (My KBC visor pops open whenever i shoulder check).

Finally got out for a ride to try it out last night and man, I'm one unhappy camper..

Can't believe how LOUD the ICON helmet is compared to the KBC (Which I always thought was a cheap helmet anyways).. Also find that the chin/jaw portion sticks out really low and i kept hitting my chin on my shoulder when shoulder checking...
Also found that even with all of the vents closed it felt like I was riding with the visor open.. so much wind still coming in.

Now.. hopeful that Clares will take it back (probably only store cred?) Plus I have to make a trip from NE GTA back town to Niagara region.. booh... Not even going to consider an ICON again, i think all else the had were BELL helmets.. anyone have good experience with those?

my last helmet was an airframe, and I just got the carbon augean last week. I will agree that wind noise is the worst part about it. As for the chin hitting your shoulder... Never had an issue. I find icons to be a great helmet, especially in heat. Do need to put some sort of wind blocker on though... hope your next helmet works better for ya

Get a Shoei Quest, $400 bucks incl., in black.
I just bought an Icon Variant, love it, gorgeous lid.
$300 bucks incl.
Spend a little more! It's your only head...

I got an airframe too. I think it looks great, but yes, it's totally loud. You get al these things on the shell that disrupt/catch air, and you'll get noise. I didn't expect otherwise to be honest, but most times I wear earplugs anyhow.

I have a star viper as well...i love that helmet. Fits a little weird. I notice my chin can easily drop below the chin curtain, and the helmet itself is a little looser than say my airframe (or my other brands). But overall i love it...not loud, looks great, pretty light...

I wore an Alliance SSR for the first few months of riding, just switched to a SHOEI RF-1100. Big price jump, but definitely a noticeable difference in some of the features. Much quieter, and better venting. That being said, the ICON is comfortable and they have some great looking designs. I'm keeping the ICON for guests, and as a secondary helmet if I want to use it instead from time to time. I feel much more comfortable leaving that locked to the side of the bike than my SHOEI!

I've used a ICON Alliance flat-black helmet for a couple years...ya it's a bit noisy...but I like the fit, looks and price.

I've got the seventh seal airframe and am no less than happy with it. While I agree, the wind noise can be loud, especially on the highway, I don't mind being able to hear when people talk to me or when people can hear me speak to them with my helmet on.

As for the issue with the chin; I've not had any issue with this and, in fact, prefer the chin dipping down as a means of deflecting wind off my neck when I tuck. My only issue with this helmet would be the noise while riding at high speeds which, IMO, is totally livable!

Got an Icon Domain II Mechanica helmet... it's by far and away the loudest helmet I've ever worn.
Had to plug up the forward opening vent on top of the helmet with putty and paint it black - it whistled like crazy. The little plastic airfoil on the rear of the top had to go too - caused a crazy amount of wind noise. Otherwise, it's really comfy.

I swear by bell helmets, the star specifically. I have a couple atm, and they're great. I also have the photocromatic shield which saves me from carrying 2 visors. Already have my next bell picked out. If u already have store credit put it towards a bell... Although the bell star doesn't come cheap, but I'm sure you'll be impressed.

I have an icon airframe too. Its noisy at 100km, so I wear ear plugs. Good airflow I guess, as I dont have anything else to compare with. Next helmet will be a Shark I think. Some nice new models coming this year.

I've got the ICON Carbon Lifeform Airframe helmet in the White colour.... While this helmet looks absolutely amazing (I get compliments all the time), it can be on the noisy side, if I don't wear earplugs. I don't mind though, I ride a Ducati Monster with no front fairing, so noise will always be an issue. It cost quite a bit of coin as well... may possibly be the most expensive ICON available?

But this helmet is so incredibly light, there's never any strain after wearing it for several hours straight. It does flow a ton of air, which is always welcomed on those hotter days.

I've got the carbon lifeform also, but it send to fit slightly bigger than the non carbon airframe I was using. wondering if the medium and small use the same size shell... Then I can order the small pads for it,and have it fit better.

No substitute for a quality helmet like a Shoei. Go see Ryan at NRC and he can hook you up with a Qwest or the Shoei RF1100. Both are very quiet, premium quality helmets that would make your riding experience that much better.

I've got the carbon lifeform also, but it send to fit slightly bigger than the non carbon airframe I was using. wondering if the medium and small use the same size shell... Then I can order the small pads for it,and have it fit better.

You're correct the small and medium (even XS) share the same size shell.

It is the interior padding that distinguishes among the sizes. I currently have a medium and is quite snug on my cheeks and forehead. If anything, there's a bit of space at the very top of the helmet, but nothing to be too concerned about. I imagined with a bit more break in I may have to up the interior padding a bit, but I like that I have the option to mix and match among the sizes to get a custom fit.

Depending on whether you had a VR series KBC before the ICON, you may find that no ICON will come close.
The VR1 and 2, and the VR Racers, were all top of the line, very well spec'd helmets that just had low price tags. They were on par with much more expensive helmets for features and comfort and weight.
ICON is well known for putting fashion way ahead of function, when it comes to helmets.

Had to plug up the forward opening vent on top of the helmet with putty and paint it black - it whistled like crazy. The little plastic airfoil on the rear of the top had to go too - caused a crazy amount of wind noise. Otherwise, it's really comfy.

And the sage of lousy build quality goes on...
The little levers that open and close the top vents are really flimsy - broke one side off while riding...
And last night, went to close the other side (riding in the near-dark on the highway) and went to flip the right side vent closed (it was freakin' cold last night!) - ended up popping the entire ram air completely off the helmet! Never realized it until I was home... curses!!!!

Did some research.. the vent is called a "supervent" - doesn't come one side at a time - have to order both sides including the stupid air foil I removed in the first place! And of course, $50 + shipping and taxes, iF you can find one the right colour etc.

Last edited:
I also had an Alliance SSR. I traded up to a Scorpion EXO 700 and there is absolutely no comparison. Fit, noise, venting, all way superior. The Scorpion is an excellent helmet as many reviews attest. There is a place in the states right now offering them for $99 plus $30 shipping to Canada. A no-brainer. I got mine from GP bikes 50% for $150.

Dave

I wore an Alliance SSR for the first few months of riding, just switched to a SHOEI RF-1100.

I was kinda in the same boat.

A friend of mine bought me the Icon Alliance SSR from the USA as a gift but wow, it was a tight fit! I usually wear XXL sized helmet but this one was more like L. So I had to get rid of it, and when I did, I put the money toward a Shoei RF-1100 and I <3 it. Good decision despite huge cost difference. It was worth it.

Back
Top Bottom